Tonight I cooked..........

Looks pretty good that, got a recipe for it?
It's mostly from a bloke called Miguel Barclay - his gimmick is meals for a quid. I'm not fussed about exact penny pinching but most of his recipes are scaled for one person, straightforward, quick and don't involve much washing up. Lots of them up on google. His version is here - link

Anyway, onion and couple of inches of chorizo, cut into smallish bits and lobbed in frying pan.
While onions are softening, deseed and cut a couple of peppers into chunks and then add peppers to pan.
Stir for a few minutes until everything is soft and add spices (I used smoked paprika, cumin and garlic powder).
When veg is soft, add drained chickpeas and stir about to cover in spices, then add carton of tomatoes.
Cover and leave alone for half an hour. I added water as it was getting a bit gloopy.
Lid off for 15 minutes or so until it looked the right consistency, couple of handfuls of spinach stirred in until it wilted, then served.

I haven't even had breakfast yet - so, I WON'T be staying long on this delicious thread ;) .

Can not think of anywhere else, so I hope no-one objects if I "park" the following here . . .

Re savoury mince. A good chef I knew always turned out a lovely savoury mince and maintained that the addition of a good couple of tablespoons of chutney per lb of beef mince adds to the flavour. Must say that I agree with him and always do the same now.

Last edited:
Yesterday. Grilled fillet of plaice with lemon parsley butter. Wouldn't normally have chips with it and I don't have a chip pan as I don't eat them too often, however, I've found these 'Tesco Home Style' crinkle cut oven chips to be pretty good.

IMG_20180818_170737695.jpg

I too have been in Brownsville :)

Individual meatloaves, with boiled potatoes, cauliflower and broccoli. Redwine gravy. I was struck how much the meatloaves looked like faggots, but a) I think there's a specific definition for faggots, and these probably don't meet it and b) when I said "those look a bit like faggots", my mother-in-law (Ohio born) gave me a most curious look :)

IMG_3036.JPG

IMG_9433.JPG

Spooky...
View attachment 347203
Savoury mince on a bed of rice.
You've posted the photo of your chicken curry again by the looks of it.

I'm still on the "Get what you're given" menu. They do ask what you'd like, but sometimes you don't get it. I was asleep when they were taking the teatime orders today so Lawd knows what I'll end up with. It's never too bad though and there's always loads of it, so I in't gonna starve.

I too have been in Brownsville :)

Individual meatloaves, with boiled potatoes, cauliflower and broccoli. Redwine gravy. I was struck how much the meatloaves looked like faggots, but a) I think there's a specific definition for faggots, and these probably don't meet it and b) when I said "those look a bit like faggots", my mother-in-law (Ohio born) gave me a most curious look :)
We just call those meatballs.
I'm having seafood (octopus,prawns and crayfish tails) in tomato sauce later.
Pics to follow when it's cooked.