Tonight I cooked..........

My word, they haven't even started by the state of the plates yet half the food's gone already.

Or are they fresh plates for the marshmallow, caramel and chocolate banana boats? :)
There was plenty of food, trust me! Plenty of left overs for brunch and nibbles throughout today and you’re right about the desserts - out of shot cheesecake, tiramisu and cheese and biscuits! :-D

Last night we had the family round , favourite granddaughters 8th birthday asked her what SHE wanted to have for dinner, she said meatballs .... (not F~~king meatballs again, victim of my own success ,top tip , don't tell them they come from the cool section of the supermarket tell them you made them to a special secret recipe, and always , the pre cooked Swedish style ones)
butter the dish your going to use, use a croissant in a can dough laid out flat , stabbed many times with a fork , and painted with melted strong garlic butter and parsley, and cook at 180 for 15 minutes , allow to cool
cover cooled dough with a layer of meatballs then a layer of cooled fried onions and red peppers , a layer of cheese, mozzarella and cheddar mixed then your special , granddads secret tomato sauce, ( a box of passata, with an oxo cube , a splurge of tom paste and Italien herb mix , 1 teaspoon of sugar,again cooked out and left to cool)
then another layer of the same, topped off with loads of the cheese , and a grating of parmesan

all prepped way in advance of when they arrived, into the oven 180 for half hour covered in tin foil then a further ten minutes with the foil off put the garlic bread in with it for the last ten minutes

they literally scraped the dish clean

she (no 1 grand daughter) still thinks I attended a famous French cookery school in Paris when I was much younger, would be such a shame to spoil the illusion

Got an elastic bandage on my right elbow through a bit of RSI , using this damn computer so much , grandson (5) asked what had happened , to me ... told him I was shot in a drive by shooting at the town centre day before yesterday... and we tell our kids not to tell fibs

Last night we had the family round , favourite granddaughters 8th birthday asked her what SHE wanted to have for dinner, she said meatballs .... (not F~~king meatballs again, victim of my own success ,top tip , don't tell them they come from the cool section of the supermarket tell them you made them to a special secret recipe, and always , the pre cooked Swedish style ones)
butter the dish your going to use, use a croissant in a can dough laid out flat , stabbed many times with a fork , and painted with melted strong garlic butter and parsley, and cook at 180 for 15 minutes , allow to cool
cover cooled dough with a layer of meatballs then a layer of cooled fried onions and red peppers , a layer of cheese, mozzarella and cheddar mixed then your special , granddads secret tomato sauce, ( a box of passata, with an oxo cube , a splurge of tom paste and Italien herb mix , 1 teaspoon of sugar,again cooked out and left to cool)
then another layer of the same, topped off with loads of the cheese , and a grating of parmesan

all prepped way in advance of when they arrived, into the oven 180 for half hour covered in tin foil then a further ten minutes with the foil off put the garlic bread in with it for the last ten minutes

they literally scraped the dish clean

she (no 1 grand daughter) still thinks I attended a famous French cookery school in Paris when I was much younger, would be such a shame to spoil the illusion

Got an elastic bandage on my right elbow through a bit of RSI , using this damn computer so much , grandson (5) asked what had happened , to me ... told him I was shot in a drive by shooting at the town centre day before yesterday... and we tell our kids not to tell fibs
Any chance of a version that isn't war and peace in length.
Perhaps start a thread called " tonight I wrote an epic".

Yesterday's efforts

Crab and grapefruit salad
20180818_192034_resized.jpg

Miso glazed cod, tiger prawns, provencal sauce
20180818_194904_resized.jpg

Vanilla panna cotta, mango salsa
20180818_204933_resized.jpg

So, last night I revisited a very, very old, very, very favourite - spaghetti alla carretiere (learned off the late, large, and much-lamented Antonio Carluccio). As ever, it were fookin' lush.

Sadly, neglected (once again) the camera until it was only of use for capturing the crime scene after the fact:

IMG_20180818_201508.jpg

By way of recompense, the recipe for this stunningly simple supper (and others) can be found in post #5 on this here arrse page:
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...y-jamies-antichav-campaign.42323/#post-826805

Had some sliced cooked beef and other stuff to use up. (shopping tomorrow} all used up to-day not long ago.

The beef along with goose fat roasties, sweetheart cabbage, chantenay carrots and yorkie pud. Lovely.

IMG_20180819_165419791.jpg

So, last night I revisited a very, very old, very, very favourite - spaghetti alla carretiere (learned off the late, large, and much-lamented Antonio Carluccio). As ever, it were fookin' lush.

Sadly, neglected (once again) the camera until it was only of use for capturing the crime scene after the fact:

View attachment 346963
By way of recompense, the recipe for this stunningly simple supper (and others) can be found in post #5 on this here arrse page:
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...y-jamies-antichav-campaign.42323/#post-826805

I've found a bit of fresh ginger about half the size of your thumb, peeled and finely chopped, does a great job in any pasta sauce containing tuna. No idea why but it gives it a fragrant quality along with the garlic and tomato.

I've found a bit of fresh ginger about half the size of your thumb, peeled and finely chopped, does a great job in any pasta sauce containing tuna. No idea why but it gives it a fragrant quality along with the garlic and tomato.
When would you wop it into the pot? Right at the get-go to sweat gently with your garlic, or late on (when the tomatoes go in the pan for a good long simmering, say)?

Not sure if I'd dare try it with this sauce though: it's so good as-is.

Last edited:
Right at the beginning when you sweat down the chopped onion and garlic. The nice thing is that you don't know it's there. It just adds a subtle fragrant, almost flowery quality. Took me a day walking around sniffing the air before I asked the cook what he'd done. If he hadn't told me I would still have been in the dark.

Right at the beginning when you sweat down the chopped onion and garlic. The nice thing is that you don't know it's there. It just adds a subtle fragrant, almost flowery quality. Took me a day walking around sniffing the air before I asked the cook what he'd done. If he hadn't told me I would still have been in the dark.
Not sure I'd want my food to taste flowery.

You like it to have that oddly Australian outback fragrance, don't you:

Skippy :)
Yawn! If I had a pound for everytime I've been called Skippy, Dusty, Womble, Orinoco, Stig etc etc etc.

Chorizo and chickpea stew type thing. Mainly to prove I can cook things other than various shades of brown.

I've not been massively keen on chickpeas before but they are growing on me over the last few months.

chorizostew.jpg

Chorizo and chickpea stew type thing. Mainly to prove I can cook things other than various shades of brown.

I've not been massively keen on chickpeas before but they are growing on me over the last few months.

View attachment 347058
Nothing wrong with brown Mukker, brown is the new superfood.
Looks pretty good that, got a recipe for it?

Had some cheap pork loin steaks, so did a layered casserole thing.
In a casserole, layer of cabbage cut in 1cm thick rings. layer of sliced spuds, then the same again. pour in a tin of cream of asparagus soup, then sit 4 loin chops on top, lightly smeared with coarse grain mustard & sprinkle with salt.
Put the lid on & into the fan oven for an hour, then off with the lid, grate cheese over everything & another 30 min in the oven.
Was very tasty & enough to feed four for less than £4.

Camera?

What camera?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Fish pie made with trout, hake, smoked haddock and mussels in a cheesy parsley sauce with creamy mash top.