• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Tonight I cooked..........

@Joker62 got you good. :) No worries mate, in this instance, I just used a proprietary spice rub plus a little of chilli flakes, garlic granules and rock salt...rubbed in and then rubbed over with olive oil and left overnight, but a few hours would have been OK I imagine.

Edited to say that earlier did a similar thing with a chicken breast, but this time, made the marinade with added olive oil and apple juice, then rubbed the chicken around in it, will be pan frying it shortly.
Had a look at the rub ingredients... IE Cumin, Sweet Paprika, Garlic, Onion, Black Pepper, White Pepper.

Plus what I added.

@Joker62 got you good. :) No worries mate, in this instance, I just used a proprietary spice rub plus a little of chilli flakes, garlic granules and rock salt...rubbed in and then rubbed over with olive oil and left overnight, but a few hours would have been OK I imagine.

Edited to say that earlier did a similar thing with a chicken breast, but this time, made the marinade with added olive oil and apple juice, then rubbed the chicken around in it, will be pan frying it shortly.
Not so sure about apple juice with chicken, you must let us know how it was.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Mexican chicken (courtesy of Maggi cook in the bag) and sautè spuds with onion, garlic and mushrooms.

Caramelised onion sausage and cheese baguette and pet food.

20180815_210943-721x737.jpg

Haddock ratatouille.
Onion
2 bell peppers
Courgette
Half an aubergine
3 cloves garlic
8 cherry toms
3 chunks Aldi frozen haddock
1 tin Aldi ancovies
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp thyme
plenty of coarse black pepper
Tablespoon of capers
Splash of white wine vinegar
Juice of half a lemming

Gently sautéed the veg, then added everything else with the fish on top.
Lid on for a 30 minute gentle simmer, then added some pre cooked brown rice to soak up the juices for 15 minutes.
Made enough to do tomorrow night too & very tasty.

This is it before the 30 minute simmer & added rice.
DSC_2013 (2).jpg

Not so sure about apple juice with chicken, you must let us know how it was.
It's only about a tbls of juice to help the marinade penetrate, wine vinegar is good also of course.

Pan fried with butter and olive oil, then, as a lot of flavour is burnt on the pan bottom, a little balsamic and boiling water deglaze. Often do chicken breast with spice and deglaze...very nice.

The specks on the new spuds are bits of parsley. :)

IMG_20180815_170155254.jpg

It's only about a tbls of juice to help the marinade penetrate, wine vinegar is good also of course.

Pan fried with butter and olive oil, then, as a lot of flavour is burnt on the pan bottom, a little balsamic and boiling water deglaze. Often do chicken breast with spice and deglaze...very nice.

View attachment 346525
Looks quite edible.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

View attachment 346525
Parsley, eh? Sod the extravagance

I do like pasta. Can I give yer a tip, take it or leave it as you see fit...........xmas time I grab about half a dozen bottles of gluhwein and every time I cook up spagbol I put a good cup full of gluhwein in the sauce. Kids complain if I don't put a cup full in the chilli con carne too.
I don't often have wine in the house, it's a fruit based drink for ladies, but if I did happen to have some I'd certainly use it.
Do you do a distance learning course??
12 lessons or the intensive week course?

I made my first Bread Pudding last night. Not bad for a first effort, and only slightly burnt around the edges. To be honest I was surprised it was alright as at one point I had a bowl of what can only be described as bread mache.

Use gingerbread next time with marmalade spread on it, handful of raisins and a sprinkling of cinnamon. Chuck in a few slivers of pickled ginger too if you like. Usual egg, milk and sugar beaten and poured over it all then a sprinkling of brown sugar before going in the oven.

I don't often have wine in the house, it's a fruit based drink for ladies, but if I did happen to have some I'd certainly use it.

12 lessons or the intensive week course?
Beer is acceptable in chilli, more than in many cases. Saw my first chilli cook off outside the PX in JHQ and more than a few were using beer as their secret ingredient. See the same over here too in many cases.

Use gingerbread next time with marmalade spread on it, handful of raisins and a sprinkling of cinnamon. Chuck in a few slivers of pickled ginger too if you like. Usual egg, milk and sugar beaten and poured over it all then a sprinkling of brown sugar before going in the oven.
That's more like a bread and butter pudding. A bread pudding is just bread soaked overnight then squeezed dry mixed with raisins and mixed spice, then spread into a pan butter dropped on top then in the oven for a couple of hours.

Latest Threads