Tonight I cooked..........

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Classic Arrse - I get Harrods to send me out 8lbs of their Sugar Belle Orange Marmalade every month - well one wouldnt want to run out!! Haha
It would be cheaper if one was to commision Paddington.

And probably nicer.

Amazon do tea. I have 6 boxes of Taylor’s delivered every 3 months.

Amazon do tea. I have 6 boxes of Taylor’s delivered every 3 months.
There's no excuse for doing without stuff nowadays, it's all there if you want it and look around.. Twenty years ago where I was staying with friends in Detroit I was surprised to find a Scots bakers at end of the road. Still there...introduced them to Irn Bru....

Menu – Ackroyd's Bakery

Recent scoffs:

Hot beef, baked spuds and salad.
E87921C0-3DBD-4AD4-BCED-A7E002764693.jpeg

Cold beef salad.
69640F27-31B2-466B-9921-37DE6691BE7A.jpeg

Chicken wrapped in bacon in a mushroom sauce. Looks a bit dull but tasted good.
8223BE4B-75E7-4B41-85C6-E4482A65A3A3.jpeg

Monster chicken breast from Pete The Meat.
40D1D318-5B2A-4D5A-A6CD-E6A0F0533A77.jpeg

Had a massive lunch. And afternoon tea. So just busgetti with chilli, anchovies and loads of parsley.
14C12696-D71E-48F6-8F9A-FDCFBE3C42DB.jpeg

Short rib with mushrooms. Packet roasties and sweetheart greenery.
462DB7DA-1C5E-4A57-8BB4-FF8E0BDBE796.jpeg

Steak with veg, jacket spud with cheese and onion mashed in, mushrooms and a blue cheese sauce.

20180722_203147-730x730.jpg
20180722_203452-756x1008.jpg

Pot roast silverside with herbs & red wine done low & slow so the meat fell apart.
Spuds & carrots & shallots lobbed in with the meat 90 minutes before the end.

ETA Bolleaux bloody photo's corrupted on the card. :x

Not really cooking, and not at night, but I bought one of those egg clacker things a few weeks ago and finally tried it this morning.

20180723_085107_resized.jpg

It worked!

Serious haute cuisine tonight (or was it a rummage through the cupboards and fridge?)

Aldi Cornish pasty, cheese and onion bake thing, baton potatoes (can't really call them chips - they were crap) and Alphabetti Sketti.

pasty.jpg

I got some new knives today. The Amazon man said "Are you over 25?" Why, thank you!

And yes. I cut my thumb opening them up.

I finally managed to find some duck eggs on the weekend, I've never had them before. So last light I hard boiled one to see what they are like. Delicious, rich with a lovely creamy flavour, but by god are they ever hard to peel the shell off. I'm looking forward to cooking with them but not hard boiled for salads !!

Chicken and chorizo jambalaya
20180723_203741-800x600.jpg

No crawfish pies or filet gumbo, and I'm pretty sure no-one eating it was gay-o.

Bi, maybe...

I finally managed to find some duck eggs on the weekend, I've never had them before. So last light I hard boiled one to see what they are like. Delicious, rich with a lovely creamy flavour, but by god are they ever hard to peel the shell off. I'm looking forward to cooking with them but not hard boiled for salads !!
Bring the eggs to the boil, then reduce a slow simmer for 15-16 minutes (hens eggs get placed in already boiling water, are brought back to the boil then slow simmered for 12 minutes).
Immediately after that, shove the pan under the cold tap & keep cold water running over them to take the heat out - I use a handful of ice cubes to help after the initial run of cold water.
For some reason, the cold bath makes the shells a piece of piss to remove.
Oh & week or more old eggs shell easier than really fresh ones.

Bring the eggs to the boil, then reduce a slow simmer for 15-16 minutes (hens eggs get placed in already boiling water, are brought back to the boil then slow simmered for 12 minutes).
Immediately after that, shove the pan under the cold tap & keep cold water running over them to take the heat out - I use a handful of ice cubes to help after the initial run of cold water.
Yes I did put them straight in the boiling water with a bit of vinigar (my mum used to do that) so guilty there. But I did put them straight under the cold tap. I will have another go with a simmer.

Thanks for that. Peeled easily, the light trauma was due to my impatience. An old dog learning new tricks and all that...
image.jpg

Essentially spag bol, but technically angel hair pasta in tomato sauce with ground steak, pork sausage meat and mushrooms. Fresh parmesan cheese, garlic bread and a glass of Moscato.

Untitled11.jpg