Tonight I cooked..........

For my tea tonight, having emptied the bugger out I am surprised at just how little there is in it. I used all the right picks and toolz .
View attachment 339125
That's one of the few creatures I leave to the experts. I'm always amazed how much meat they can present in a dressed crab. I can never get that much out.

For my tea tonight, having emptied the bugger out I am surprised at just how little there is in it. I used all the right picks and toolz .
View attachment 339125

Males are better value for money, their claws are twice the size.... you can tell straight away, your female has a broad flap, the male's is less than half as wide.

Also that one looks a little pale, fairly recently peeled, not the deeper red of one that is chock full of meat, and always feels quite heavy for it's size.

Do you get the brown meat out from around the inside edges....... it's strong tasting, so you can mix it with almost the same amount of white breadcrumbs.

Also, do you pull out the big honeycomb of shell in the middle ?

If you pull off the grey feathery gills, you can use kitchen scissors to cut the honeycomb into small pieces, that are easy to hoick out the meat, just gently riffle your fingers through the meat afterwards, to feel for any shell.

Males are better value for money, their claws are twice the size.... you can tell straight away, your female has a broad flap, the male's is less than half as wide.

Also that one looks a little pale, fairly recently peeled, not the deeper red of one that is chock full of meat, and always feels quite heavy for it's size.

Do you get the brown meat out from around the inside edges....... it's strong tasting, so you can mix it with almost the same amount of white breadcrumbs.

Also, do you pull out the big honeycomb of shell in the middle ?

If you pull off the grey feathery gills, you can use kitchen scissors to cut the honeycomb into small pieces, that are easy to hoick out the meat, just gently riffle your fingers through the meat afterwards, to feel for any shell.
Vinnie, i did all that, it was a frozen one, (buyer beware), and the honeycomb, not much in it.
Thanks for all advice.

That's one of the few creatures I leave to the experts. I'm always amazed how much meat they can present in a dressed crab. I can never get that much out.
A man who knows said they would pad it out with steamed cod.

Vinnie, i did all that, it was a frozen one, (buyer beware), and the honeycomb, not much in it.
Thanks for all advice.
I have to admit I'd never buy crabs except on the quayside, boiled that morning, which cuts down on your options.

If I really feel the urge for crab, we'll have a run up to the Fish Quay in North Shields, get a couple and anything else that looks good, then fish and chips too.

For 25 years I went diving every other week- end, hunting seafood my favourite part.

Coming home with crab, lobster, scallops, even sea urchins.

841DB7EA-EA0C-4D75-9A7E-87CA5E2EFA5D.jpeg

Slimming World Chicken Madras. Pre holiday regime still in place - 1 week to go! :smile:
BD2F0CC7-18E8-4AC9-BC82-986BF4C339CE.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice flavour but too much work for little return. Same reason I don't bother with trout, although trout always seem tasteless to me.
Gut them, then stuff the cavity with sliced mushrooms, chopped leek & a little butter, then dribble over a little lemon juice, parcel in tinfoil & into the oven for 25-30 minutes.
Unwrap & eat off the bone with salad or new taties & french beans.

Nice flavour but too much work for little return. Same reason I don't bother with trout, although trout always seem tasteless to me.
Some food just doesn't travel, a few short days, especially fish, and you might as well be eating soggy tissues, the super- delicate flavours have gone.

I've caught and cooked walleye and lake trout in Canada, straight on a fire on shore...... the sweet delicate taste is to die for.

Same with crab, back home in 2 hours, scuttling about the kitchen floor, 20 minutes later.... OMG.

Even the humble potato, mine are a few weeks away yet, but straight from the ground, a quick, gentle scrub, then steamed and eaten with a slice of ice cold butter on each mouthful...... doesn't get any better, and I mean proper English, yellow, salted butter, not the white tastless crap some people accept.

Very tempted to get a chippy tea tonight, got as far as the chippy car park and turned around. Glad I did.
curry.JPG

chick.JPG

Chicken and chips with curry sauce, slimming world.
Not as bad as I thought it would be.

Very tempted to get a chippy tea tonight, got as far as the chippy car park and turned around. Glad I did.
View attachment 339145
View attachment 339146

That's the one to go for........ just fry a small onion in a mix of sesame and corn oil, very harsh and fast, till the edges are brown, but the onion is still crunchy, then add the sauce.

It makes a bit less than 5 pints, so scratch it into 8 portions, the add to a half pint of water, dilute if needed, to each eighth.

View attachment 339145
View attachment 339146

That's the one to go for........ just fry a small onion in a mix of sesame and corn oil, very harsh and fast, till the edges are brown, but the onion is still crunchy, then add the sauce.

It makes a bit less than 5 pints, so scratch it into 8 portions, the add to a half pint of water, dilute if needed, to each eighth.
Think you missed the bit in bold Vinnie.

No, I wasn't really, I doubt there's much in it, when you divvy up the portions by 8- 10, especially when the taste is so good........ you could probably even reduce the portion size, or add veggies

I'll have a look mate. Where'd you buy it?

Some food just doesn't travel, a few short days, especially fish, and you might as well be eating soggy tissues, the super- delicate flavours have gone.

I've caught and cooked walleye and lake trout in Canada, straight on a fire on shore...... the sweet delicate taste is to die for.

Same with crab, back home in 2 hours, scuttling about the kitchen floor, 20 minutes later.... OMG.

Even the humble potato, mine are a few weeks away yet, but straight from the ground, a quick, gentle scrub, then steamed and eaten with a slice of ice cold butter on each mouthful...... doesn't get any better, and I mean proper English, yellow, salted butter, not the white tastless crap some people accept.
If I don't eat trout the day I catch it I'll use it in some kind of sauce, as the magic taste has faded.
Lobsters & crabs really are best if they die on entering a pot of boiling water (as instant as whacking them between the eyes & better than the suffocation so often the fate of commercially caught crustaceans).
Cod caught & cooked within an hour or two is a world different to the sad crap sold in supermarkets, though caught, filleted & frozen is almost as good.
I'll agree viz new potatoes but roast, chips & mash made at the tail end of the old spuds when they've gone wrinkly & starting to sprout are great - probably down to the reduced water content.