• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Tonight I cooked..........

Kerist, when that second pic came up, I had to check what thread I was in.
It looked like something out of 'Blue Planet' - the deep ocean episode.
If television is your forte rather than food and the cooking thereof, there are other threads available.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
@Joker62 - where do you live? Next to a chemical plant?

That smoker's only a year old, isn't it? It's rusted to fck! I'm sure it works fine, but it's not weathered well.
It got left uncovered when we first got it. Soon to be rectified, sanding it down and repainting to bring it back.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I rest my case. I will continue to post pictures of my food on the flowery patterned plate which causes you grief. I feel we are connected! :grin:

I rest my case. I will continue to post pictures of my food on the flowery patterned plate which causes you grief. I feel we are connected! :grin:
If it's not on a gash plate* it doesn't count.
*gash pattern, square or odd shaped plates, boards,slates and odd bits of furniture are a complete no no.

Tonight's effort was one of those "make it up as you go along jobbies.

Boned chicken thighs, each wrapped round two or three Polish pickled peppers (the pencil thin red & green ones), then wrapped with half a rasher of bacon (I didn't have any streaky to hand).
Into the oven for 40 minutes, then served with some "just add boiling water" Ainsley Herriott couscous.
By 'eck them Polish peppers have a kick!
DSC_1741 (2).jpg

Bit of maintenance on my Eggs. I made some new handles. I had a bit of white oak scrap lying around, so used the old ones as a pattern and 10 minutes later on the router table & drill press I have some new ones.

Old & new:

IMG_3051.JPG

Old:

IMG_6011.JPG

New:

IMG_2352.JPG

Need to get some new acorn nuts for the handles (or de-rust the old ones, but that won't last), and touch up the chip on the "old" shot.

Bit of maintenance on my Eggs. I made some new handles. I had a bit of white oak scrap lying around, so used the old ones as a pattern and 10 minutes later on the router table & drill press I have some new ones.

Old & new:

View attachment 337904

Old:

View attachment 337905

New:

View attachment 337906

Need to get some new acorn nuts for the handles (or de-rust the old ones, but that won't last), and touch up the chip on the "old" shot.
Looks as good as new!I went for the stand alone Joe because it had the stainless steel bands and handle. Not sure why they do two different versions. The Joe with the wheely stand has some sort of Matt black material. I need to replace the gasket on mine,but it looks straightforward enough to do.

Looks as good as new!I went for the stand alone Joe because it had the stainless steel bands and handle. Not sure why they do two different versions. The Joe with the wheely stand has some sort of Matt black material. I need to replace the gasket on mine,but it looks straightforward enough to do.
The key thing when changing the gasket is to scrape ALL of the old one off with a razor scraper. BGEs come with felt gaskets, but a pizza cook will (has!) do(ne) for them in a one-er. Both of mine have Nomex replacements, with RTV sealant. On the "old" pic, you can see a bit of it on the left. It's a messy job, but thankfully quite cheap. About $20, IIRC. I think a KJ would be similar.

The mounting hardware on my bands, and indeed the paint finish on them, is aging quite a bit. I might just get new bands for both of them, which come with the new, wider handles, and a redesigned hinge that gives more clearance (like the XL BGE). But a new band/handle set is $115, and I can't really justify that right now. But then again I want the new house to be "right" from the outset. By the time I've sanded the old bands and repainted them, and replaced the hardware with stainless, I'd have quite a bit of time invested, and not a few dollars.

Maybe sell the Weber and fund the band replacements. Or some of the way there anyway.

The new house will have an "outside kitchen" - essentially a covered deck 15' x 15' right outside the main kitchen, so I'm thinking about what I want in there. I really don't think Mr Weber is going to make the cut.

Latest Threads