Tonight I cooked..........

Can’t fault that scran. Looks good.

Them Saffer sausages are boerewors. I have a pack of the spices, must get round to actually making some! I’m very fond of the dried versions, known affectionately by my sister as rancid zebra cocks...

Some time ago I bought Samin Nosrat's Salt Fat Acid Heat. It's an astonishing book & I've enjoyed it for all sorts of reasons whether the slightly different take on how to cook or the innovative flavour wheels that help choose a cuisine and produce a meal with real flavour balance.

One thing that really appealed was pork braised with chilis. I thought I'd give it a whirl today. Sorry for the photo essay, if easily bored please feel free to scroll to the next post!

First of all brown a chunk of pork shoulder on all sides:

View attachment 337603

While it's browning prepare some dried chilis & a bay leaf. I chose guajillos and a chipotle. Take meat out:

View attachment 337602

Cook a sliced onion & half a head of unpeeled garlic (don't bother peeling, liquidising comes later) in oil, then add the chilis, chopped tomatoes & cumin seeds:

View attachment 337600

While this was cooking I made two taco dishes, baking corn tortillas in a bowl to give shape:

View attachment 337601

The meat was then put on top, Corona beer added to half-way up the meat, & the lot put in the oven, uncovered at 160 degrees. After about three hours during which I turned the meat every 30 minutes & topped up with beer when the fluid level got a bit low it looked like this:

View attachment 337599

After four hours we were ready to go. Meat was taken out, bay leaf removed, & the sauce liquidised then forced through a sieve:

View attachment 337598

Then served up pretty much as the author intended, in the taco boat with some lettuce & pico de gallo salsa:

View attachment 337597

That was tasty, but a bit polite. I wanted a drrrrrty version, so for number two I added cheese, jalapenos, guacamole & soured cream:

View attachment 337608

Bloody essence. I can barely move now & will be leaving the windows open tonight...
Coincidentally had some Colombian pulled pork and beef sandwiches from the food market on Thu's at Victoria. Served in Arepas with corriander and scotch bonnet dressing. Lush. The extra bonus was they were fried after the outside was coated in cheese.
http://www.kimieatsglutenfree.com/2016/12/10/gluten-free-arepas-south-american-sandwiches/

Salad for lunch:

IMG_2250.JPG

Which left a clear conscience for fat-boy burgers for dinner:
IMG_3214.JPG

First time I've done burger on the BGE in years, I am exercising the new grate thing. I'm sold.

Anyone want a Weber Genesis? It won't be going to the new house when built.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Smoker going full chat! Pork is looking good too.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Smoker going full chat! Pork is looking good too.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Joker, put some clothes on FFS, you're scaring the kids....
Joker 2.JPG

@Joker62 - where do you live? Next to a chemical plant?

That smoker's only a year old, isn't it? It's rusted to fck! I'm sure it works fine, but it's not weathered well.

Just delivered the last of three cakes I said I’d do for the village open gardens day. Should have done them yesterday but between furniture delivery and removal, trying to sort out our little haven and general admin didn’t start till 11:00.
Did a big standard lemon drizzle, an orange spiced parsnip and a lime courgette. Kitchen now looks like a bomb has hit it and I only rememberated to take one piccy
Here is my orange spiced parsnip.
1528650888569.jpeg

Edivently it sold out in four minutes

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Salad for lunch:

View attachment 337629

Which left a clear conscience for fat-boy burgers for dinner:
View attachment 337630

First time I've done burger on the BGE in years, I am exercising the new grate thing. I'm sold.

Anyone want a Weber Genesis? It won't be going to the new house when built.
That looks like suspiciously like 'American Cheese'. Beyond that, looks really tasty :)

That looks like suspiciously like 'American Cheese'. Beyond that, looks really tasty :)
Thank you, it was indeed tasty.

Yeah, I looked for some Senegalese, or maybe Chadian cheese, but couldn’t find any so just went with the local stuff :)

Crumbs ( not many left evidently) - a few punters asked where they could buy the parsnip cake.
Unfortunately they didn’t leave photos ( all but one identified as female - the other one thought it was Donald trump)

Much artistic flair amongst the greater arrse.....it's great to see....
Flaking gammon joint, baby corn and new potatoes, with gravy, natch....
ham.JPG

An' all I dun were cakes.
you absolute gits, I is now hungerisated.I

were so pissed off with bakerising, I just got pissed instead of cookerising so got gived "healthy" stuff.
no Glasgow salad in sight.

bugger