Tonight I cooked..........

I feel sorry for you all, having to put up with roast chickens, ribs, steaks and chocolate brownies when you could be having tuna salad with chickpeas and beetroot.
I like tuna salad!

Dunno why people buy burgers. They're almost always made of shitty ground beef.

Either buy lean ground beef, or grind your own if you have a grinder, and then you can season it the way you like it, from no seasoning at all to adding chopped onion, garlic, bit of pork, whatever. All it needs is a $5 burger press to hugely improve results. Can also make different size burgers, if you've got varying appetites in the group.

I'm no real fan of Frankfurters either, much better wurst out there.
Agree totally. The missus makes her own. Butchers minced steak from rump ends, finely chopped onion, salt, pepper, dash of Worcestershire sauce and a squirt of tomato ketchup (which fortunately seems to make little difference as I don’t like the stuff. Still, it’s her recipe so I let it go).

Moulded by hand so you don’t get that heavily compacted stuff you get in commercial burgers. Fry in pan which firms up the base, turn over gently once. They break in half sometimes but who cares.

The culinary muse deserted me last night (I.e I couldn’t be arrsed) so I pimped up a Tesco stonebaked pizza with peppers, onion, tomatoes, chilli flakes and excellent bacon from the butcher.

A80F58B9-39B5-4DE5-9F58-209AE105E0C8.jpeg

Green salad. Pinot Noir. Done.

The wiggly wormy things are the rind of the bacon. Best part of the meal. They crisp up beautifully (and so they should for the price).

Agree totally. The missus makes her own. Butchers minced steak from rump ends, finely chopped onion, salt, pepper, dash of Worcestershire sauce and a squirt of tomato ketchup (which fortunately seems to make little difference as I don’t like the stuff. Still, it’s her recipe so I let it go).

Moulded by hand so you don’t get that heavily compacted stuff you get in commercial burgers. Fry in pan which firms up the base, turn over gently once. They break in half sometimes but who cares.

The culinary muse deserted me last night (I.e I couldn’t be arrsed) so I pimped up a Tesco stonebaked pizza with peppers, onion, tomatoes, chilli flakes and excellent bacon from the butcher.

View attachment 335900

Green salad. Pinot Noir. Done.

The wiggly wormy things are the rind of the bacon. Best part of the meal. They crisp up beautifully (and so they should for the price).
Get her to try it with egg to bind the mince together.
My Mrs makes turkey burgers...zero fat, they are delish and she uses a beaten egg in the mix with spices and chopped onion and herbs. The egg holds them together when cooking apparently..

Last edited:
Sunday afternoon dinner

Poule au Pot
poulle1.jpg
poulle.jpg

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Home made burgers. Do you cook the onions before adding them to the beef?
I cook them slightly and allow them to cool before adding to the meat.

Home made burgers. Do you cook the onions before adding them to the beef?
I don't, I prefer the stronger flavor when raw. I make my mix, and leave it in the fridge for a few hours to infuse whatever spice is in the mix. Also easier to shape the burgers when it's cold. I make a baking sheet of burgers, layer of parchment paper, more burgers etc. Then in the freezer for an hour to firm them up before grilling.

I don't, I prefer the stronger flavor when raw. I make my mix, and leave it in the fridge for a few hours to infuse whatever spice is in the mix. Also easier to shape the burgers when it's cold. I make a baking sheet of burgers, layer of parchment paper, more burgers etc. Then in the freezer for an hour to firm them up before grilling.
I'm the same, prefer stronger flavour and often add a couple of spoons of Colmans + some Lea and Perrins.

Last time I made my own burgers...I made a batch of "allsorts"...various different ingredients.
I found adding a splash of fish sauce makes a difference for that "umami" thing. I have not mastered cooking them without them breaking up though - even with beaten egg added.

Dunno why people buy burgers. They're almost always made of shitty ground beef.

Either buy lean ground beef, or grind your own if you have a grinder, and then you can season it the way you like it, from no seasoning at all to adding chopped onion, garlic, bit of pork, whatever. All it needs is a $5 burger press to hugely improve results. Can also make different size burgers, if you've got varying appetites in the group.

I'm no real fan of Frankfurters either, much better wurst out there.
My butcher does a lot of catering contracts, posh places where they want fillet steak. When the fillets are trimmed to what the hotel/restaurant requires the offcuts go into the mincer, so some days you can get minced fillet steak at minced beef prices.

Last time I made my own burgers...I made a batch of "allsorts"...various different ingredients.
I found adding a splash of fish sauce makes a difference for that "umami" thing. I have not mastered cooking them without them breaking up though - even with beaten egg added.
I use a grill pan on my BBQ when doing burgers because the extra surface area creates a good sear that helps to hold them together when flipping.

My butcher does a lot of catering contracts, posh places where they want fillet steak. When the fillets are trimmed to what the hotel/restaurant requires the offcuts go into the mincer, so some days you can get minced fillet steak at minced beef prices.
Indeed, but generally the garbage goes in them too.

I keep my eye on the price of meat in my local supermarket, they often have sales on steak or beef joints for $2.99/lb. The very cheapest fresh ground beef is generally $3.99/lb, so I buy shedloads of the better meat when it's on sale and freeze it. If I don't buy from my nearest supermarket, which is about a 10 minute drive, I have to go into town, and that's 20 minutes. So I go often and keep my eye on the prices and specials. Can't wait until I've got some luggage on my new motorcycle and can blat down there of a lunchtime pretty much every day.

Cooking is a relaxing pastime for me, so I don't mind that it takes me half a day to defrost the meat, grind it, season it, chill it, form the patties and finally cook them. I work from home, so I have the luxury of being able to do whatever operation is required at different times through the day.