Tonight I cooked..........

Just been told by my Doctor that I've probably caught the diabetes, and I have to loose weight , and consume something called "salad" ?

Pass the Webley.
Seriously, Slimming world.
Let me know if you need any info.
I've related this before but about 3 years ago I weighed 113 kg. I now weigh 79kg, 34 kg weight loss and I eat well and still manage regular treats and booze.
That's nearly 5 and a half stone over 12 months and I've maintained it and I'm never hungry.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Woke up this morning and wondered what to make for work for the next couple of days, cracked open the freezer and there was 4 packs of rump steak so got them out to defrost. Popped out for lunch and a couple of beers, came home, defrosted meat was cut into thin strips, sealed off in hot oil and removed from pan. Added onion, chillies and garlic to the pan, cooked until soft, added chopped tomatoes, brought back to the boil then added the meat and cooked out for around 30 mins on a lowish heat and voila!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Woke up this morning and wondered what to make for work for the next couple of days, cracked open the freezer and there was 4 packs of rump steak so got them out to defrost. Popped out for lunch and a couple of beers, came home, defrosted meat was cut into thin strips, sealed off in hot oil and removed from pan. Added onion, chillies and garlic to the pan, cooked until soft, added chopped tomatoes, brought back to the boil then added the meat and cooked out for around 30 mins on a lowish heat and voila!

That is truly the brownest brown thing I have ever seen. @Kirkz will be pleased.

I've related this before but about 3 years ago I weighed 113 kg. I now weigh 79kg, 34 kg weight loss and I eat well and still manage regular treats and booze.
That's nearly 5 and a half stone over 12 months and I've maintained it and I'm never hungry.
I've been an on and off Slimming World member for about 12 years now. I always lose weight when I attend and always put it back on when I don't! It really gives me focus, the weekly weigh in. What I can't stand are the 'social members', who have been going for decades and are still the same weight - usually well north of 15 stone. I refuse to applaud someone who has put weight on since the previous weeks weigh in! That said; it's time I went back.

I've been an on and off Slimming World member for about 12 years now. I always lose weight when I attend and always put it back on when I don't! It really gives me focus, the weekly weigh in. What I can't stand are the 'social members', who have been going for decades and are still the same weight - usually well north of 15 stone. I refuse to applaud someone who has put weight on since the previous weeks weigh in! That said; it's time I went back.
Never been to a meeting, ever.
I signed up online for the first year but thereafter, all their recipes are available online free. Once you've got your head around the principle of balance, you don't need to pay for it.
I'd also recommend the SW meals you get in Iceland when starting out. They all come with a recipe to cook it yourself. I usually add an additional portion of veg.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Never been to a meeting, ever.
I signed up online for the first year but thereafter, all their recipes are available online free. Once you've got your head around the principle of balance, you don't need to pay for it.
I'd also recommend the SW meals you get in Iceland when starting out. They all come with a recipe to cook it yourself. I usually add an additional portion of veg.
The wife is a Weight Watchers user but eats the SW meals, bigger portions for less points and more choice and tastier. I can recommend the Chicken Saag!

The wife is a Weight Watchers user but eats the SW meals, bigger portions for less points and more choice and tastier. I can recommend the Chicken Saag!

Indeed. Sugar is the biggest hurdle, it's rife in most pre packed foods. Always look for the lowest sugar foods....fat you can cope with, refined sugar is a no no.
You'll hear people go on about fruit containing sugar..it does but it's a good sugar and is easily consumed for the better. I do a full punnet of grapes, a pack of tangerines/clementines and at least 4 apples a day.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Indeed. Sugar is the biggest hurdle, it's rife in most pre packed foods. Always look for the lowest sugar foods....fat you can cope with, refined sugar is a no no.
You'll hear people go on about fruit containing sugar..it does but it's a good sugar and is easily consumed for the better. I do a full punnet of grapes, a pack of tangerines/clementines and at least 4 apples a day.
Sugar from fruit is not so good for a diabetic, my doctor told me to eat as little as possible.

Sugar from fruit is not so good for a diabetic, my doctor told me to eat as little as possible.

This. I don't think they understand the difference between the different sugars. If you need to shed a huge amount of lard, its probably best avoiding fruit to start bur if you progress, fruit sugar is a major acid in fat beating. I can only talk from experience.

I'm ready to be corrected but I don't think so. From memory most fruits contain fructose and sucrose, both of which are the same as 'processed' sugars (high fructose corn syrup for example).

It's more likely that by the time you've stuffed your face with the amount of water and fibre in the fruit you feel less hungry so consume less sugar overall. According to google you would need roughly 200g of grapes for the same sugar content as a mars bar.

On the cooking theme, chicken fajitas which I got distracted halfway through so had a well caramelised (burnt) edge to them. When I can make the pictures show up I'll add some.

I'm ready to be corrected but I don't think so. From memory most fruits contain fructose and sucrose, both of which are the same as 'processed' sugars (high fructose corn syrup for example).

It's more likely that by the time you've stuffed your face with the amount of water and fibre in the fruit you feel less hungry so consume less sugar overall. According to google you would need roughly 200g of grapes for the same sugar content as a mars bar.

On the cooking theme, chicken fajitas which I got distracted halfway through so had a well caramelised (burnt) edge to them. When I can make the pictures show up I'll add some.
You carry on avoiding fruit cos it makes ya fat, init.:):)
I can only talk from experience. My recent medical showed that I was way below the standard sugar stuff levels.
Look at the sugar content for bread...look at all the labels..sugar content is massive.

You carry on avoiding fruit cos it makes ya fat, init.:):)
I never said that, just that I get a bit peeved at the 'good sugar / bad sugar' argument as if the sugar in sweets is bad but put exactly the same sugar in fruit and it's magically good.

Fruit is quite definitely good for people, no argument there.

Just been told by my Doctor that I've probably caught the diabetes, and I have to loose weight , and consume something called "salad" ?

Pass the Webley.
If it's Type 2 you've been diagnosed with , then it is reversible with a lifestyle change. The dietitians who you'll meet at the Diabetic Clinic will give you plenty of advice. It won't be all lettuce and tomato.

"as if the sugar in sweets is bad but put exactly the same sugar in fruit and it's magically good."
Yeah, you keep eating toffee, I'll keep eating fruit... FFS.

"as if the sugar in sweets is bad but put exactly the same sugar in fruit and it's magically good."
Yeah, you keep eating toffee, I'll keep eating fruit... FFS.
You do understand that pointing out the sugars in fruits and sweets are the same chemicals doesn't mean I'm saying that sweets and fruit are equally as bad for people's diets?

Pointing out that milk has more calories per pint than beer doesn't mean I'm claiming beer is healthier ;)

That's the exact stats I'm working with.

Latest Threads