Tonight I cooked..........

I'm beginning to make friends with the half finished kitchen.

View attachment 335163

Cracking yorkies there.

Gimme that tray and a pint jug of gravy and I would be a happy man.

I would give the straggling shirker at the rear to the missus.

Edit: Drooling over the yorkies again it seems that the N.W quadrant of the baking tray is where the runty yorkies live. Is the fan working properly?

Last edited:
Chrome sockets = greasy fingers and showing up every speck of dust in the kitchen....choose wisely, Miss.
Looking good though. Don't be tempted to get a black piece of glass behind the hob though. Looks ace when its been fitted...it's a right PITA to clean off all the splashes after every meal...especially when I've been 'creating'.
Additionally, as one who had a new kitchen extension recently, you can't have enough sockets or lighting as it's expensive and messy after its been done.
Too late on the black glass for me but I have made sure there are sufficient sockets - I reckon five doubles (not including spurs for fridge, freezer, microwave, hob, extractor...) should do for a one person kitchen.
I do need to up the centre light, as despite the under cabinet ones it looks a wee bit dim from the 3x9w led fitting.

Yay, at last I have a working kitchen. So christened it yesterday

Asparagus, parma ham, poached egg yolk, hazelnuts, shaved parmesan
asparagus.jpg

Roast Cod with a sun-dried tomato and panko crust, chipotle cream sauce
cod 3.jpg

Pork belly, shallots, peas and roast carrot
pork belly.jpg

Some cheese - Comte & Camenbert
cheese 2.jpg

Bitter Orange brulee
orange brulee.jpg

First breakfast in the new kitchen
bacon.jpg

Cracking yorkies there.

Gimme that tray and a pint jug of gravy and I would be a happy man.

I would give the straggling shirker at the rear to the missus.

Edit: Drooling over the yorkies again it seems that the N.W quadrant of the baking tray is where the runty yorkies live. Is the fan working properly?
It's the first time I've used it. I might have to make another 30 lots of them until I get it right, but I won't give up. I also did them in a muffin* tray, rather than a bun" tray, so that might have made a difference.

*So childish.

Today's dinner

Roast Poussin with grapes and white wine, served with homemade ratatouille
pousin.jpg

I doubt if she means “cottage cheese” as we see it, a white crumbly thing of tiny rejected cheese crumbs swimming in greasy water.

She probably means paneer, which is an Indian cheese. It’s a bit like a white processed cheese (which might be an injustice to paneer) and is not bad at all.

It’s usually available as either the vegetarian matta/mutta paneer (with peas) or Keema Paneer with mince. Both are good.

When I lived in Hounslow as a student I used to cook it and just add/omit minced lamb depending on vegginess/carnivorousness of guests.
I make my own paneer. Fairly easy to do, lots of recipes on the net but I use one from one of my Indian recipe books.

Just picked up two great books for anyone interested in curry & how it developed in India before being brought back here. One is "The Road to Vindaloo-Curry Cooks & Curry Books", the other "Curry- a Tale of Cooks and Conquerors". The former is for reading in sections as repeated versions of how curries were made in the C18th or C19th can get a bit repetitious. The latter I could have read in a sitting, but wanted to eke it out it was so good.

Yay, at last I have a working kitchen. So christened it yesterday

Asparagus, parma ham, poached egg yolk, hazelnuts, shaved parmesan
View attachment 335213

Roast Cod with a sun-dried tomato and panko crust, chipotle cream sauce
View attachment 335212

Pork belly, shallots, peas and roast carrot
View attachment 335211

Some cheese - Comte & Camenbert
View attachment 335210

Bitter Orange brulee
View attachment 335209
Very impressive. Do we need to break this thread further down into Officers/SNCOs mess posh nosh as opposed to NAAFI bar Fayre?! :smile:

Last edited:
I dug a portion of my bulk chicken curry out of the freezer tonight & had it with boiled basmati rice.
I reckon what it needs to be a tad more "authentic" is some fresh cilantro/coriander leaves.
Did it have methi and fenugreek in it? that's what makes me think of curry the most

Very impressive. Do we need to break this thread further down into Officers/SNCOs mess posh nosh as opposed to NAAFI bar fare?!
Which mess would sandwiches go in? :)

I've seen a few different recipes but never bothered trying them. Have you got a decent recipe that doesn't take too much effort and soaking of lentils?
I use little.red or yellow lentils. Not much more cooking than a risotto, no soaking.
Fry coriander seed, black onion seed in a dry pan until they smell nice, remove.
veg oil in pan, maybe 3 tablespoons [usually just slosh 'some' in & see how it goes. enough to fry an egg, say]
Thinly sliced or diced 1/2 white onion and chilli, soften gently with a little salt . Have some more thinly sliced as possible to make crispy fried onions & chilli strips as a topping in another pan. I like crispy thin garlic rounds as well (i.e. cut across the clove, like in the prison cooking scene in 'Goodfellas' :) )

1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric. into frying onions.

To your taste & after experimenting, and in my order of preference , add pureed garlic, pureed ginger, cardomom pods, fenugreek, methi leaves, cinnamon, ground ginger. You can keep it simple without adding them, it's still good with onion cumin turmeric.My minimum would be garlic & salt.
Fry for a short time until aromatic. Add 2 handfulls of lentils, fry a bit more then add a little water /veg stock & stir like risotto. Keep going until the lentils break up ( you can help them on their way if you want to speed it up by crushing with the spoon or a fork)..
Taste frequently & add salt to your taste. Adding salt earlier can make the lentils tough. scrape into bowl, put a dent in the top with the spoon

Wipe the pan or use a separate pan, fry the thin onion strips, chilli strips and garlic rounds. The garlic will only take a few seconds in hot oil. Carefully dump them & some of the oil into the dent in the dhal.

Some people grate/blend the onions, garlic, ginger & fry them at the onion stage.
You can also do it like the absorbtion method for rice where you add the lentils & water & leave to simmer until mushy, takes a while depending on your lentils (sorry, can't remember the ratio of water to lentils)
No reason you can't lob some small broccolli florets, carrots, cauliflower, green beans, small cubed aubergine ( I like the chewy skin!) at the lentil stage & diced tomatoes as a further garnish. Cucumber & raw onion maybe?

Don't be afraid of the salt, IMHO.

It's taken longer to type this than to make..nearly ...;)

Squeaky cheese, bacon, pink slaw, salady stuff, English mustard on one side and mayo on the other.

squeakycheese.jpg

I decided to cook the whole pack of halloumi, so probably won't eat all of this. Squeak, squeak, squeak...

Great weather here today, topped 24 this afternoon so another BBQ was the order of the day.
Ribeye, Booths lamb and garlic koftas, salad and a baked spud finished on the BBQ.....early retirement...what's not to like!
No dressing on the salad as I'm on a diet:cool:

bbq 21 may 18.JPG

Last edited:
There's a beef curry hiding under there...
DSC_1671 (2).jpg

...just under 2kg of stewing beef for 70p at 15:50 yesterday in Tesco.
Rough chopped 1kg onions & fired till golden, added 1 bulb of garlic, crushed, in with the beef to brown, then seeing as I've run out of "Curry Secrets" sauce, half a jar of Patek's Madras paste, cooked & stirred for a few minutes, then in with a chopped up, huge broccoli head that was going yellow in the veg drawer & 2 tins of chopped tomatoes.
One plateful tonight & 10 portions in the freezer for when I can't be arrsed doing more than boiling some rice or heating a naan.

Latest Threads