Tonight I cooked..........

Left to my own devices again this evening I actually managed to boil a whole egg, but the rest was cold because it suited the weather. Oh, and the pickled onions are my own work, but the rest was bits and pieces I sort of scavenged from garden and fridge.

salad stuff.jpg

What I didn't realise was that boiling an egg and then eating the salad takes a whole bottle of Chianti. And forgot about a pic until I had scoffed some.

More brown than a brown thing waving a brown stick, I'm sure @Kirkz would approve.

Tarka dhal with a sugar snap, red pepper and cherry tomato veggie curry.

Twas ace if I say so myself.

View attachment 334735
@Porkbrain

Tarka Daal is the food of the Gods. Particularly with a garlic naan.

If someone had told me twenty years ago that I’d enjoy eating lentils, I would have had stern words.

Great breakfast dish too.

If someone had told me twenty years ago that I’d enjoy eating lentils, I would have had stern words.
I've seen a few different recipes but never bothered trying them. Have you got a decent recipe that doesn't take too much effort and soaking of lentils?

I'll have a look at some recepies and give that a go.
Just looked at my dinner tonight compared with this and my dinner looks so bland and unapetising!
No wonder the rest of the world think our food is so bland an baby food like, although I can assure you, our UK palet is extremely varied.
I'll definitely give your ruby murray a go.
I would strongly advise not eating it on an empty stomach. If you’ve only had cheese and crackers the night before and it’s your first meal the following day, it has some dramatic results.

@Porkbrain

Great breakfast dish too.
I'm a big fan of dal Makhani and also a big fan of sambar with idli or dosa. Bought a mix packet of sambar/sambal and it's like rocket fuel.

@Ortholith - I’ll check with an Indian friend. She’s completely veggie.

She’s also passed on a recipe for cottage cheese curry. I think that’s a step too far.
I doubt if she means “cottage cheese” as we see it, a white crumbly thing of tiny rejected cheese crumbs swimming in greasy water.

She probably means paneer, which is an Indian cheese. It’s a bit like a white processed cheese (which might be an injustice to paneer) and is not bad at all.

It’s usually available as either the vegetarian matta/mutta paneer (with peas) or Keema Paneer with mince. Both are good.

When I lived in Hounslow as a student I used to cook it and just add/omit minced lamb depending on vegginess/carnivorousness of guests.

@Kirkz
I hate to spoil this lovely food display, but I did have my big plate of tripe'n onions with a smidgen of mash.

Simmered in it's own juices of sweated onions, tripe, seasoning and a little thyme with lid on, then thickened slightly.

IMG_20180516_153510159_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180516_154239096_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180516_170710683.jpg

I've seen a few different recipes but never bothered trying them. Have you got a decent recipe that doesn't take too much effort and soaking of lentils?

They don't have them all of the time, but Home Bargains often have microwave pouches of various daals.......they're made in India, so fairly authentic.

Will give you a good idea if you're going to like them.

A good store cupboard dish for a quick lunch.