Tonight I cooked..........

I'll have a look at some recepies and give that a go.
Just looked at my dinner tonight compared with this and my dinner looks so bland and unapetising!
No wonder the rest of the world think our food is so bland an baby food like, although I can assure you, our UK palet is extremely varied.
I'll definitely give your ruby murray a go.
@jinnandtonic
I've looked at some of the recipes online and none of them are anything close to your effort. You're going to have to post the recipe, if you'd be so kind Jin :)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Fùck me, you have no idea at all, do you? Pierogi are basically a Polish/Eastern European version of mini filled dumplings just like Won Tons, no pickling involved and cabbage only if you want it. They can be fried or served in soup.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I've had a quick look at some recipes and I reckon I'll give them a whirl myself later in the week. Don't look too difficult.

Photos (possibly) to follow!
I've had a look at the recipe, looks simple enough for the dough, that simple I reckon even @vinniemanxcat could make them. I might give them a bash myself when I have the time, try out a variety of fillings.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I dug a portion of my bulk chicken curry out of the freezer tonight & had it with boiled basmati rice.
I reckon what it needs to be a tad more "authentic" is some fresh cilantro/coriander leaves.

@jinnandtonic
I've looked at some of the recipes online and none of them are anything close to your effort. You're going to have to post the recipe, if you'd be so kind Jin :)
@Northern_Biff

Chicken (surprising for a Chen curry
Fried off to get some colour, and reduce the water you get in supermarket chickens
Large white onion in large pieces added, fried but not coloured
Garlic and ginger
Bruised lemongrass
Bay leaves
Salt, cayenne and paprika. Along with garam masala
Chopped tomatoes
Nam pla (a good splash)
Water to thin down

Cooked for three hours on low
Whole chillies added and left to rest overnight

Today, an hour on high to reheat
Whole chillies added and fresh corriander
Cook for another thirty mins so the chillies retain some bite.

And a good bottle of white added to the cook.

Edit: it an interesting mix between Thai and Indian. Have some cod fillets in the freezer, so might do something similar.

@Northern_Biff

Chicken (surprising for a Chen curry
Fried off to get some colour, and reduce the water you get in supermarket chickens
Large white onion in large pieces added, fried but not coloured
Garlic and ginger
Bruised lemongrass
Bay leaves
Salt, cayenne and paprika. Along with garam masala
Chopped tomatoes
Nam pla (a good splash)
Water to thin down

Cooked for three hours on low
Whole chillies added and left to rest overnight

Today, an hour on high to reheat
Whole chillies added and fresh corriander
Cook for another thirty mins so the chillies retain some bite.

And a good bottle of white added to the cook.

Edit: it an interesting mix between Thai and Indian. Have some cod fillets in the freezer, so might do something similar.
Thanks Jin, I'll try and get some Nam pla in the UK and report back.

ETA: This is the UK stuff apparently:

Blue Dragon Fish Sauce at Morrisons

It does work surprisingly well - and once you get it, you'll find it comes in handy for quite a few dishes.

since my return from hospital, I have pretty much been kept out the kitchen , but me and her are now on low fat , high fibre(ish) type of diets,from a book she bought 40 years ago which got lost in a cupboard... I am losing weight spectacularly( I really don't recommend open heart surgery as part of a new diet plan though)... she's pissed off ,she isn't. I was a very portly 104 kg for the last many years ...after the op , due to fluid retention it reached 108 fact I have lost any craving for chocky biscuits, and junk food could have something to do about it ...weighed in yesterday and a racing snake weight of 96 kg not bad for 4 weeks (96 kg , I was heavier than that when I left the army in 1993 FFS)... that she is dragging my arse out walking every day ... I broke the 4 mile barrier yesterday ... could have something to do with the weight loss

One of the recipes from last week was simple vegetable curry ... one pot, courgette, carrot, cauliflower, green pepper, onion, garlic , a potato diced , frozen peas, tomato puree two large spoons of bog standard curry powder, a little stock and coconut milk, mango chutney and two spoons of red lentils... lobbed into the pot gently simmered 30 mins (I left it for 50 mins)
It sounds , well, pretty crap.... served with a small Peshawari nan each , it was actually very tasty ,what's left s in the freezer for next week, and the next day it had a lot to do with making my life a lot easier , the pills after the op have been constipating me (hurriedly changes subject)

last night , pasta with home made tomato and basil with low cal cheese, again from the book, , over baked when it was finished , with a little garlic bread, ... again sounds shit , tasted really good... no pictures , can't be arsed

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
since my return from hospital, I have pretty much been kept out the kitchen , but me and her are now on low fat , high fibre(ish) type of diets,from a book she bought 40 years ago which got lost in a cupboard... I am losing weight spectacularly( I really don't recommend open heart surgery as part of a new diet plan though)... she's pissed off ,she isn't. I was a very portly 104 kg for the last many years ...after the op , due to fluid retention it reached 108 fact I have lost any craving for chocky biscuits, and junk food could have something to do about it ...weighed in yesterday and a racing snake weight of 96 kg not bad for 4 weeks (96 kg , I was heavier than that when I left the army in 1993 FFS)... that she is dragging my arse out walking every day ... I broke the 4 mile barrier yesterday ... could have something to do with the weight loss

One of the recipes from last week was simple vegetable curry ... one pot, courgette, carrot, cauliflower, green pepper, onion, garlic , a potato diced , frozen peas, tomato puree two large spoons of bog standard curry powder, a little stock and coconut milk, mango chutney and two spoons of red lentils... lobbed into the pot gently simmered 30 mins (I left it for 50 mins)
It sounds , well, pretty crap.... served with a small Peshawari nan each , it was actually very tasty ,what's left s in the freezer for next week, and the next day it had a lot to do with making my life a lot easier , the pills after the op have been constipating me (hurriedly changes subject)

last night , pasta with home made tomato and basil with low cal cheese, again from the book, , over baked when it was finished , with a little garlic bread, ... again sounds shit , tasted really good... no pictures , can't be arsed
All the best to you on your road to recovery. I too am on a bit of diet and find that what I call ratatouille very tasty with most meals, Aubergine, courgette, peppers, onions, garlic or garlic paste, tin or two depending on the quantity of chopped tomatoes. I de seed the peppers and roast in the oven with olive oil along with the onions until they are slightly coloured and soft then add to the other ingredients add salt and pepper to taste and simmer away. Very suitable for freezing and you can have it as it is, or as I do add chilli to a portion or like yourself curry it up depending on what one fancies that night.
It is very cheap and very tasty and is a really good accompliment to all sorts of meals be it steak, lamb or even fish.

Last edited:

Life's to short to read that much shite.

Beef short rib in a casserole (loads of onions, garlic and two tubs of mushrooms). Last of my “roasties deal” and mixed veg.

Looks a bit of a brown slop but it tasted lush. The meat could be eaten with a spoon.

DE77268D-77B3-4DC0-A222-C7C373B15AAF.jpeg

Browned off in a pan. 3 hours in the oven. 90 minutes braising in beef stock (Knorr stock pot x 2). Added six roughly chopped onions. Sautéed the mushrooms in butter and olive oil and added them at 2.5 hours. Last ten minutes I added a metric ton of parsley from the window sill, black pepper, a touch of salt and cornflour/water to thicken it up a bit. Yum.

All the remaining stew went into a big plastic container and into the freezer as a base for either a Kate & Sidney pie or a beef and dumpling stew.

Last edited:

Latest Threads