Tonight : BBC2 : 20:00 ' 100 days to Victory'

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Documentary on the events of Spring 1918 and the Allied armies' steady tramp through the German lines to the Armistice in November 1918.

The Spring Offensive
100 Days to VictorySeries 1

We meet the commanders and men in early 1918, at the moment of maximum jeopardy. The Germans have launched a mighty 'shock and awe' attack, advancing more than 60 kilometres in only three days. Standing in their path are British, Australian, Canadian and French forces, while the Americans are still arriving to join the fight.

BBC Two - 100 Days to Victory, Series 1, The Spring Offensive

Last edited:
Fascinating stuff. I don’t normally like the mix of actual footage with ‘dramatic licence’, but thought it worked well in this format.
A good effort in my opinion.

Yes, the dramatic license was a bit much at times. Some of the actors dialogue was very much on the "Early 21st century media sensationalist" side, not what you'd expect WW1 Imperial bods to spout. I'm not sure the troops would all have had such grubby faces as a constant feature either, there was some effort put into hygiene after all. The CGI was good though. Some of the contemporary footage would have benefited from remastering and colouring.

Paid for by the Australian and Canadian Broadcasting corporations. Consequently all about our plucky dominion colleagues. Painted Curry and Monash as the architects of victory, and the brains behind combined arms. Haig once again slandered as a fool, uninterested in the fate of his men. Irritating in the extreme.

Paid for by the Australian and Canadian Broadcasting corporations. Consequently all about our plucky dominion colleagues. Painted Curry and Monash as the architects of victory, and the brains behind combined arms. Haig once again slandered as a fool, uninterested in the fate of his men. Irritating in the extreme.
My thoughts exactly. I half expected Mel Gibson to be in it!. No mention at all as to why the allied armies were so weak at the commencement of OP Michael. It seems the only British troops involved were the 51st Highlanders!
5 mins in and "Butcher Haig" is mentioned, I kind of switched off after that.

My thoughts exactly. I half expected Mel Gibson to be in it!. No mention at all as to why the allied armies were so weak at the commencement of OP Michael. It seems the only British troops involved were the 51st Highlanders!
5 mins in and "Butcher Haig" is mentioned, I kind of switched off after that.
Thanks. I had it on record and you've just saved an hour of my life going to waste.

Jumped in halfway through. Successful allied attack achieving great surprise and advancing several miles. Hardly any mention or depiction of the Brits except for a single RFC pilot and a sweaty tank driver. This must be on the BBC, I thought.
I was right.
Thought the program was designed for someone with the attention span of a 5 year old, which is how most, if not all seem to be made these days.
Now I'm off to find a cat to punch.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
@offog
Well, don't miss out on it just because of the views above....the improvements made in the 500 x Mark V tanks which took part in the Battle of Amiens are worth a look.
From Flers ( Sept '16 ) to Amiens there was obviously a rapid UOR programme put in place.

I too thought that Monash and Curry got most of the credit, but I'm here to learn.
Wished Richard Holmes (RIP) had been available to give a more measured view of both Haig and Foch.

Visited Thiepval ten years ago. Just down the road we stopped at another much smaller CWGC site. I was with a gaggle of Defence Medical Services people, male and female.

By chance, first small group of graves I looked at were a party of five RAMC, mixed ranks - all killed when a RAP was hit by shellfire in April 1918.

I think the second episode will be more illuminating - I am unsighted on how far back the Allies had pushed the Germans by November 18.

Last edited:
Read a letter recently from a nurse taken on a tour of the battlefields immediately after the armistice. She complained the US troops present were claiming they had won the war and it had been only been over 3 weeks. Re-writing history is not new idea.

Quite a good mix of contemporary footage, and reenactment. Bit distracted by playing “Spot the Chubster” during the latter.
And what was Joseph Stalin doing commanding the German artillery battery on 21 Mar 18?

Jumped in halfway through. Successful allied attack achieving great surprise and advancing several miles. Hardly any mention or depiction of the Brits except for a single RFC pilot and a sweaty tank driver. This must be on the BBC, I thought.
I was right.
Thought the program was designed for someone with the attention span of a 5 year old, which is how most, if not all seem to be made these days.
Now I'm off to find a cat to punch.
Yep, nothing like jumping in half way through and expressing a generalized opinion, so you completely missed the opening sequences of British units prior to the Battle of Amiens.

Interesting stuff among the re-vamping.

Auusie (note - not ANZAC) and Canadians strong, less so porridge wogs, even though it was a SCotch TV production.

Had to rewind a couple of times trying to prove a pilot was talking about onion flames

For the knockers who can't understand why a programme largely funded by Australian and Canadian money, and produced by BBC Scotland should concentrate on Australian, Canadian and Scottish actions, the 2nd and final episode aired last night, and attributed the kudos of being the first unit to break through the 'impregnable' Hindenburg Line to the 46th (North Midland) Territorial Division. As the action was following the Battle of Amiens, it gave fair coverage to the part played by the New Zealand Division and to the USA, and didn't shrink away from criticism of Monash's lack of regard for his personnel, as shown by his actions at Montbrehain.

ugly

LE
I found myself shouting at the TV, it started with Haig and his sweaty accent. Ive never met a DE Scottish officer that had an accent let alone a sweaty one. It went downhill from there. I will be watching the rest so I can shout some more. There are far better books to read about the destruction of the 5th Army which in itself deserves a similar length series not ten minutes of brit bashing!

Latest Threads