Tonight 18 sept 2200, submariners talk espionage BBC4

Daft but is that BBC radio 4 ? As there is nothing on the web site. 2200 is about Welsh railways and 2300 is the world tonight?
BBC4 2200 for me, title is The Silent War: Know Your Enemy.

They certainly are a strange bunch-takes a certain type of person.

Good money but...buggerall opportunity to spend it "living the dream" in exotic places.

The submariner's "Perishers course" probably sums their expertise up - at officer level at least. Only one crack at it..fail and it's goodbye career.

Submarine Command Course - Wikipedia

They certainly are a strange bunch-takes a certain type of person.

Good money but...buggerall opportunity to spend it "living the dream" in exotic places.

The submariner's "Perishers course" probably sums their expertise up - at officer level at least. Only one crack at it..fail and it's goodbye career.
I found Hunter Killers by Ballantyne fascinating, and on the flip side, Walker RN, of 2nd Support Group is one of my heroes.

I found Hunter Killers by Ballantyne fascinating, and on the flip side, Walker RN, of 2nd Support Group is one of my heroes.
Yep, I have Hunter Killers too.

The Submarine branch is effectively a different navy. It's entirely possible for one to have a full career and never meet one of them. In my time in the mob, the only ones I "knew" were regulars in a pub I frequented. Never met them professionally though.

I do get the impression we are very, very good at submarine stuff.

You'll be aware there is an intact O Class at the Portsmouth museum, and walking through it is somewhat of an odd experience when you consider what the crew did as a matter of course...

HMS Tireless used to berth in "frigate ally" in Devonport Dockyard. Whatever ship I was on at the time was docked opposite, I was QM on the flighdeck 2-8s. Early morning..about 3am...bored Tireless sentry is mooching along from the conning tower to the end of the sub. Everytime he got to the end I'd phone up their gangway position and he legged it back. I'd hangup just before he reached there.

Repeat maybe 8 or 9 times....

Eventually, I let him answer:

"Is that the Tireless?"

"Yes, QM Tireless speaking..."

Me: "What time you getting your head down mate?!"

Simple things...

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
A good friend of mine failed Perisher and went on to reasonable if not outstanding success in the Grey Funnel Line, then shoreside support, then civilian analysis - a Perisher fail does mean "you're leaving the sundodger community" and probably that you won't rise to high rank, but not the certain end of life in the Navy (if nothing else, by that point you're pretty clued about Awfully Slow Warfare from the target's perspective...) He went on to frigates (topping out as XO) then ASW analysis at Dolphin, in and then out of uniform.

Top bloke, too... if he could stay civil after sharing an office with me for a couple of years, he must be a tolerant fellow...

A good friend of mine failed Perisher and went on to reasonable if not outstanding success in the Grey Funnel Line, then shoreside support, then civilian analysis - a Perisher fail does mean "you're leaving the sundodger community" and probably that you won't rise to high rank, but not the certain end of life in the Navy (if nothing else, by that point you're pretty clued about Awfully Slow Warfare from the target's perspective...) He went on to frigates (topping out as XO) then ASW analysis at Dolphin, in and then out of uniform.

Top bloke, too... if he could stay civil after sharing an office with me for a couple of years, he must be a tolerant fellow...
Yes, a few of my ex "Jimmys" were (rumoured to be) failed Perishers.

Nothing weird about us at all, we are all perfectly normal, fine, upstanding chaps! The Cold War was quite a busy (fun?) time - chasing around the oceans after 'them'!

I had some good runs in boats too - Global 86 was a blast!

Nothing weird about us at all, we are all perfectly normal, fine, upstanding chaps! The Cold War was quite a busy (fun?) time - chasing around the oceans after 'them'!

I had some good runs in boats too - Global 86 was a blast!
It's a known and established fact that submariners are excluded from babysitting rosters!

One Sunday afternoon, Indian Ocean our hands to bathe was abrutley cancelled and we proceeded at full speed to where a Russian nucular boat was on the surface with smoke bealching out and several missile hatches open from an internal fire.

This was the only sub I ever saw in nearly two years on a frigate specifically geared up for ASW, however many never saw a boat at all in years of chasing the things. Slippery buggers.

Former Poachers make excellent gamekeepers.

That programme should be mandatory viewing for those of the khaki persuasion who take the view "If it can't be seen (by us), it isn't happening". I take that view after a visit by a very senior red tab demanding to know why the AD station I was on was using so much Avtur. Boss took him to Ops where the plot involving lots of Red Star airliners coming round North Cape was explained to him. If @Graculus was on Tremblers at the time, he may well remember 111's Q1 - 12? plus all of 43's jets being tooled up, in addition to the 11 Victors. We were sucking Grangemouth, plus Edinburgh and Glasgow airports, dry of Avtur.

Last edited:
I watched the first programme, extremely interesting especially the incident with a British submarine allegedly crashing into a Soviet one. The Yanks submariners also had a number of incidents when Gung-Ho Sub captains pushed things to the extreme. I liked the ending of the first episode that that Soviet aircraft carrier was sold to he Chinese and is now a luxury flaoting hotel.

I will be avidly waiting for he next programme next week.

I knew a Russian speaking 'Int' type Navy chap when based in Cyprus. He couldn't speak about any of his frequent trips on boats, even the one that got him a special gong....