Discussion in 'Southern Africa' started by Cutaway, May 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Searched the site & found a thread in the Cookery forum but am well aware that many people don't look into that area.
    Just thought anyone who makes their own tong and droëwors could spread the joy and post recipes and biltong machine designs.

I've made the stuff on various deployments and while viewed with curiosity by the Souties when making the dryer and spicing the vleis I've nearly had to sit on the fcuker with a rifle once they found out how it tasted.

As I type I'm grazing silverside chilibites but if I keep up this level of meat consumption will soon be making it from the neighbour's cat.
    Yes we all know the best meat will give the best tong, but do any of you have suggestions for cheaper cuts ?

(That's not an intentional pun.)
  2. Silverside and topside work, albeit a little stringy.

Old wood packing case with sides about 2' by 4' and about 4' tall. Drill a few air holes in one of the 2' sides at the bottom and mount a 100w light bulb there to provide a bit of heat to dry the air. On the opposite 2' side at the top drill a couple of holes to mount two 240v (or 110v if you're in that part of the world) AC computer fans as extractors to draw the air through. Wire up the fans and light on the same circuit with a cable and plug with which to plug it into the mains. Put in a bunch of eyelets on the inside so you can string a web on which to hang the 'tong and use paper clips bent into shape to hook the meat onto the web in the cabinet. Keep door shut and fans and light running and you should have edible 'tong in around 2-3 days.

Plenty of recipes on the net but you can get pretty good ready mix spices from Freddy Hirsch.

Freddy Hirsch Ingredients Biltong
  3. That's baas to you, Sonny Jim. Why aren't you out picking cotton?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Get it right.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tiny Cumbie OK? Ya bas.
  6. Jambo PRT! :cool:
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Would venison be any good for this?
  8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

You wouldn't be taking the piss by any chance ? :)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Naturally but all the recipes seem to go for boef. Clapig uses a leccy dehydrator and I use a smoker but neither are quite as good as pukker air and sun dried meat!
  10. Venison is great for biltong, although I haven't tried your Brit variety. Couple of the antelope are a bit whiffy, particularly blesbok, but kudu is brilliant and impala or springbok make good 'tong. Eland is almost like beef biltong.

Koschei - mielies! Of course! Moment of mongness on my part.
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I've eaten Kudu biltong but hadnt even thought it would be classed as venison? There you go, now as venison here is very low in fat does that make a difference?
  12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

You won't find much sun-dried biltong or droëwors in South Africa, most of it is made in dryers.
    And where are you going to find sun in the UK ?
    If it could be prepared by leaving it in water it'd be the world centre for biltong manufacture.

When I've made it on tour I've tended to leave the dryer outside to take advantage of the heat, but I've also run a 60 Watt globe at night to shorten the MTBG.*
    It's also a damn good idea to glue some cheesecloth or mozzie net over the air holes in the dryer, it'll keep the kaffirbudgies and assorted goggas off the vleis. It might not be high on the list in the UK but very necessary in Afg and similar s̶h̶i̶t̶h̶o̶l̶e̶s̶ unpropitious countries.

* It's a biltong technical term, means Mean Time Between Grazing.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Not at all, ostrich is also very low and makes fokken lekker biltong.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. goat, I'm feckin serious, young goat makes great jerky, wallabys not bad either, venisons the best of course but you save all that meat for serious cooking.
    now then, the real choices are - smoked or un-smoked/air dried, and what marinade mix?

young goat, hack into strips, salt, little bit of worchester sauce mixed with red wine and kiwi fruit, let soak for a day, hang over manuka wood smoker till it allmost snaps when bent. most of it gets scoffed well before you hit the hills =-D

now being stuck in the UK, whats the best to marinade for fox??? :sad:
    • Like Like x 1