Tommy Robinson arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leeds combined court has a precinct line in the brick work surrounding the building to allow people to come and go without undue interference. Anywhere within that line is considered inside the court itself where sound and video recording is forbidden by law.
I've walked past here many times on the way to the LGI and this is new to me.

I've walked past here many times on the way to the LGI and this is new to me.
As far as I recall it's just a different tone of brick. It may have been added for decorative effect, but the court has decided that is the boundary. Other courts like Bradford Crown Court have brass studs embedded in the paving or the same reason.

The reason it sticks in my mind is that some years back Leeds Player Lee Bowyer was up for racially abusing an Asian chap in a nightclub. At the trial a young photographer stepped over the line (figuratively and literally). The judge gave him a bollocking, made him apologise to the jury and he was sentenced to an afternoon in the cells.

This is where my tiny amount of knowledge falls down. I'm struggling to see how he could be arrested for breach of the peace, yet be held in contempt of court. There must be some sort of connection. I wish we had a legal eagle to help.

He was certainly not convicted of 'breach of the peace' and it doesn't look like he was charged with such an offence after arrest on suspicion. He was convicted of Contempt of Court (and supposedly given a 13 month sentence). We don't even know if the Postponement Order seen on the internet is real, but reporting in the MSM has mostly been pulled and I've certainly seen one site with a legal bent pull one of their articles, because I had the page open and read the content, yet when refreshing the page it had disappeared into the ether.
He was arrested to be taken into court at the point those watching felt they had enough to trigger contempt and jail. What he was arrested for was irrelevant.

As far as I recall it's just a different tone of brick. It may have been added for decorative effect, but the court has decided that is the boundary. Other courts like Bradford Crown Court have brass studs embedded in the paving or the same reason.
I've just looked on street view as you had me thinking.

Leeds combined court has public roads N,S&W, pedestrianised to the east with limitations for traffic. No signage regarding court restrictions on the pedestrianised bit.

Leeds magistrates, next door, is public road all round.

He was arrested to be taken into court at the point those watching felt they had enough to trigger contempt and jail. What he was arrested for was irrelevant.
I may be being a bit slow here so bear with me.

From the reports and the video it appeared that he was arrested for suspicion of breach of the peace and placed in a police van.

After more than an hour of broadcasting, footage showed police officers approaching to arrest him for alleged breach of the peace and incitement.

“Can you get me a solicitor?” he asked his supporters while being searched and bundled into a police van. “This is ridiculous, I haven’t said a word…I’ve done nothing.”

Robinson, whose real name is Stephen Lennon, had claimed that verdicts were due on Friday but court officials confirmed that the trial of nine defendants is ongoing.
Tommy Robinson arrested for 'breaching the peace' outside court during grooming trial

Therefore from the reports, he was not arrested for Contempt of Court. He was convicted of such, but not arrested for that offence. I would have thought that if the intention was to "give himself enough rope to hang himself" then he would be arrested for contempt of court. Then again I've no idea if police can actually make that arrest unless they have some form of warrant from the court in question.

It's really difficult to see the route from one to the other. I'm not saying it's wrong or unlawful, it's just that I lack the knowledge as to how that occurs, but I'd like to know more simply out of interest.

I've stated, having done as much digging as I can, that he put himself in a position that would potentially lead him not only to be in contempt, but also breach the suspended sentence he was still serving.

Knowing that he instructed his council to inform the judge in the case against him in May 2017 that a custodial sentence would potentially put him in harms way, then I can't fathom how someone would then give reason for authorities to do just that, especially when he considers himself an "enemy of the state".

Perhaps he thinks it's the publicity outweighs the prison sentence.

Leeds combined court has public roads N,S&W, pedestrianised to the east with limitations for traffic. No signage regarding court restrictions on the pedestrianised bit.

I think its called something like cutellage. Its the legal boundary of a property as set out by surveyors. Been around for centurys. In this day and age marked out normally by brass studs, but there are still some ancient examples around marked out by boundary markers such as stones sunk into the ground.
This is an example of the legal precedents in this country and why I am so concerned as to the alleged shenanigans .

I think its called something like cutellage. Its the legal boundary of a property as set out by surveyors. Been around for centurys. In this day and age marked out normally by brass studs, but there are still some ancient examples around marked out by boundary markers such as stones sunk into the ground.
This is an example of the legal precedents in this country and why I am so concerned as to the alleged shenanigans .
Not sure myself. I have walked up there many times buried in my phone with no issues.

If deemed private land then of course they have the rights. If public surely any thing goes regarding photo and film, unless subject to a court order.

He seems to have got a sizeable crowd outside Downing St speaking up for him.

Doesn't get reported, couple of weeks back 4000 people turned out for a free speech rally he organised in Whitehall and the only media attention was the standard (far right) and the Guardian (far right), free thinking is definitely fascist these days.

Doesn't get reported, couple of weeks back 4000 people turned out for a free speech rally he organised in Whitehall and the only media attention was the standard (far right) and the Guardian (far right), free thinking is definitely fascist these days.
He's not so much a free thinker as a cheap thinker.

He spoke at one of the Justice For Chelsey marches in Sunderland last year. Thousand or so there in the city centre, but nothing in the local papers. Not even when a loada Hells Angels and other bikers turned up.

Not sure myself. I have walked up there many times buried in my phone with no issues.

If deemed private land then of course they have the rights. If public surely any thing goes regarding photo and film, unless subject to a court order.
Its not illegal to film on public land. Only within the boundarys of courts and other places. Cuttelage, (I think that's the right word applies to the boundarys defined by law.)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Then a news blackout / reporting restriction was announced so its illegal to even chat about it on here (Probably).
There's also no reporting on the case at Leeds Crown Court, I even checked all local news for Leeds, nada, nowt, zilch! Is there something that they want to hide although earlier reporting in the case stated 28 suspects, all of Asian extraction.

You're right! The is no signage for the public. That's because court boundaries are elastic depending on the concerns of the judge.

Go to page 25 of this link and note there is the following:

Reporting restrictions in criminal courts

'The court can issue guidance on the extent of the precincts of the court buildings e.g. by way of a map'

In normal circumstances an usher would brief the media of any changes to routine procedure. Transgressors usually get a warning before any action, but events can often dictate policy.

If you look at the image below of Leeds Combined Court you will see a line of red bricks. That as I recall it was the usual extent of the courts precincts.
Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 22.02.01.png

The UK on the surface seems quite archaic with respect to boundaries and markers. I do quite a bit of off-road cycling and I plan routes combining Ordnance Survey maps, County rights of way maps, google maps plus 'streetview' and the Strava application. Markers go back to Roman times and before. They aren't obvious from the ground unless you come across old cast iron posts, county markers, stone mileage markers, turnpike stones, certain tumuli, and ditches etc. Probably one for the excellent 'map thread', but I think it's pretty cool that such boundaries are still visible with regards to Courts and their precinct.

He spoke at one of the Justice For Chelsey marches in Sunderland last year. Thousand or so there in the city centre, but nothing in the local papers. Not even when a loada Hells Angels and other bikers turned up.
Normal procedure it seems, only approved opinions allowed.

Yes, he's a small minded, blinked rabble rouser, not the greatest mind of his generation who can see things that others can't.
Nice, I at least, am making an effort to understand what he is saying rather than chucking insults around.

Status
Not open for further replies.