Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now I have never been in the situations that the lads today are going through and never will.

Looking through a lot of posts on here it seems everybody wants the latest weapon with all the bells and whistles (and rightly so).

so if it came to cutbacks, and old weapons had to be brought back into service ..what would be wrong with a thomson smg?
    apparently it was reliable and it carried a drum of 50 bad boys, where does it fall down as opposed to a modern weapon, I ask on the assumption that it would be used for close quarter work.

and if you could go retro what would you want?
    no doubt the rhino stopper(slr) would figure highly.

2. Gun, Machine, Vickers G.O. .303-inch.

Just to make sure the bugger stays down.

3. The Thompson came with a choice of 20 or 30 round box mags or the Al Capone version with a wind up 50 round drum magazine - all in .30 ACP

There was some work done with a 9mm parrabellum Tommy gun and I believe that a few were made...

Any experts care to comment?

4. the 50 rd drum was rarely if ever issued. The 45 ACP has teh ballistics of a dustbin so while it may hit hard it's not going to be much use beyond 100m. Even 9mm is better in this regard. $% ACP is ok in a pistol but is not the answer in a smg.

STG44 would be better for close/ intermediate work.

Pre1950 firearms of merit:

BREN.
    Lee-Enfield No.4 (and the No. 1 MkIII to a lesser extent)
    Vickers MMG
    Browning 50. (still in service)
    Browning HP35 (Still in service)
    Webley Mk. VI
    Colt 1911

and from the opposition:
    MG42
    P38
    MP38/40
    Stg44

just to get you started....

5. Thompson SMG:
    Heavy, prone to rust, short-ranged and either short on ammunition or unreliable.
    At least, according to Mr. McDonald Fraser, who thought the Lee Enfield much superior.

6. Yes, most of that is wrong! :D

7. Yeah agreed.. it was .45 ACP (my bad) but there was a (failed) 9mm experiment IIRC

8. Sten gun would be the obvious choice if you wanted to resurrect a submachine gun. Very, very cheap to produce with only a few faults. Reasonably accurate and select fire.

9. Fair point
    But would they be that heavy?and they would be in the hands of soldiers not gangsters ..so I dont think rust would be a big issue.

What lee enfield are you comparing a smg to?

10. I've shot quite a few rounds through a Thompson SMG and it was a surprisingly smooth shooter, even on full auto.

But it's achilles heel is it's lack of range. SMG's for green army use pretty much became obsolete with the introduction of the assault rifle and their carbine versions.

11. dare i say uzi?

a culmination of most of the smg's mentioned?

12. SMG to rifle. The chap in question was somewhat scathing about the use of automatic fire as well.
    Given that he was in Burma, anything slightly susceptible to rust was going to, regardless of who is using it. Incidentally, a gangster might not clean his tommy gun but equally he isn't going to run around in the rain and mud with it.
    As for heavy, it's a monolithically machined lump of steel (which also makes it expensive). It's 4.8 kg empty (varies with model) and a 50 round magazine isn't going to make it any lighter. The Lee Enfield was three quarters of a kilogram lighter (one and a half pounds if you prefer).

13. SMG=pistol for someone who does not practice IMHO

I want my Wobbely back...!

torn from my hand by an ungrateful and unfeeling government....

14. PPSH 41 Because it looks the dogs knackers, well it always does in Warlord comic.