Tomb of the British Unknown of WWI

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Fireplace, Nov 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - The unknown soldier's journey from trench to tomb

There was no facility to add a reader comment by the time I found this article, but here is what I would have said:

On one of my trips to the UK in the 1970s or 80s, I went to Westminster Abbey and saw this tomb. I also saw, affixed to a stone column nearby, a small glass and wooden case containing the Medal of Honor. The neck ribbon is normally a light blue with white stars; however, because of its age, the ribbon had faded to white.

When I returned home I wrote a letter to my senator and asked if he could request the Secretary of the Army to cause a replacement ribbon to be sent to the US Embassy to replace the original.

On my next trip I saw this actually had been done.

I nearly went into a state of shock!

2. A politician actually doing something useful. Unheard of!!!

3. That's a good result.

Is the VC awarded to America's Unknown Soldier, on display at Arlington or elsewhere in Washington?

4. One of the most moving and prosaic stories of the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior is that Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother (then Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon) laid her wedding bouquet at the tomb when entering the abbey for her marriage to the Duke of York.

5. The Unknown Warrior - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is worth acquainting oneself with the history and how they went about choosing the body to return from Flanders to lie in alongside the Kings and other greats in the Abbey.

The most poinent bit about it is many final resting places are unknown tens of thousands of them (until you have seen the names on the back wall of Tyne Cot or on the Menin Gate you cannot grasp the numbers) to relatives.

All those families affected lived on the knowledge that it could be their loved one that is buried in the Abbey

6. What humbles me is the Guard of Honour when the Forgotten Soldier was carried into the Abbey. 100 VC's lined part of the route. That's respect for the Fallen.

7. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

8. I too saw this story on the BBC website and will be looking out for the CMH next time I vist the Abbey

9. Fascinating, not much has changed in the standard of the drill in the Generals and Chiefs of Staff in the last 90 years.