Tom Smith ex Daily Express reporter

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jimmyoc, May 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all, i am trying to locate or stalk i am not to sure,,lol

2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Hi Jimmy,

We don't usually publish names of ex-service personnel on here for obvious reasons, so you might want to edit the great snaps.

As for Tom Smith, if he was an Express staffer then I would suspect that they own the copyright if you are after the original. Or ask if they know his current contact details.

Failing that The Frontline club is probably your best bet:

http://frontlineclub.com/

Good luck, and be aware that both of the above will almost certainly ask for your details to pass on to Tom, rather than offer direct contact info.

3. hi Gremlin, thanks for the link i will edit my post,,

4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

No probs. If you have any problem tracking him down send me a pm.

5. "Martin Cleaver

Martin Cleaver was responsible for some of the most memorable photographs of the Falklands War, none more so than this one of HMS Antelope being blown up. He himself prefers to go unphotographed.

Now 50, he was working for the Press Association in 1982. He and Tom Smith of the Daily Express were the only two press photographers on the islands. This was his first major war.

"The military had total control over everything," he recalls. "It was very frustrating and we had a lot of battles to get access to things we wanted. We knew things were happening, but we couldn't get to them under our own steam.

"Mechanical cameras and endless rolls of film are heavy and difficult to transport. You had to carry your kit as well so I was probably carrying as much as the soldiers themselves. Initially, unexposed rolls of film were shipped back and there was certainly a shortage of images for the first few weeks. We got more organised when the landings started. We got access to some polar transmitters and set up some makeshift darkrooms on the ships."

Everyone on the Falklands missions received a South Atlantic Medal but Cleaver was also awarded an MBE. "It did make my name well known in the industry," he says, "and it gave the Press Association a huge boost as well." He joined Associated Press in 1988 as a photographer, moved to the picture desk in 1994, and is now the agency's picture editor."

http://ap.org/

any use ?

6. Hi thanks, but i have seen that on the web in the Independent, , i have tried to find Tom Smith through other people like Martin Cleaver, Max Hasting did reply to me but says he no longer keeps in touch with Tom Smith, "they were together at the bottom of Longdon" "but Max edit edit"
    he and could not help me, but as i say at least he had the good manners to reply, i have sent lots of emails to journalists with no reply.
    the hunt goes on,, i have sent a couple of emails to the front-line club, but i will not hold my breath,, but here's hoping

7. If you PM an arrser called bigeye, he may be able to help,his line of work in a broad sense.

8. Thank you, i will try him. :D

9. Jimmyoc,

I've sent you a PM.

Will ask around on Monday.

Cheers/Bigeye

10. PM me your details, he's a mate of mine - retired to the Kent coast.

One of the funniest blokes you'll ever meet and a great photographer.