Tom Sharpe dies in Spain

No, not Richards brother. But the author of the Wilt books amongst others, and a former Royal Marine.

Linky

I've never read his books but I know my dad had a few. I may dig them out.

And before anyone accuses me of reading the Guardian, I saw the news on Skys website and got the link from his Wiki entry.

Loved his South Africa satires.

'Madam,' interrupted the Kommandant, 'I am merely trying to help you to obey the law.' He paused, groping for words. 'The law says that it is a crime to shoot kaffirs outside your house. But the law also says it is perfectly permissible and proper to shoot them inside your house if they have entered illegally.'

'Fivepence was my cook and had every legal right to enter the house.'

'I'm afraid you're wrong there,' Kommandant van Heerden went on. 'Your house is a white area and no kaffir is entitled to enter a white area without permission. By shooting your cook you were refusing him permission to enter your house. I think it is safe to assume that.'

I thought his books were a scream, this will cost me a fortune getting them all again as ebooks.

Konstable Els' fight with the Police? dog and the aftermath was one of the funniest things I ever read.

I'm the only person in the world who didn't find him funny, apparently.
Porterhouse Blue didn't do much for me, nor Blott on the Landscape, but the Wilt and Piemburg books were a great read.

I thought he was already dead

If you enjoy pantomimes and believe that repeated use of the phrase "oh dear, how sad, never mind" is the height of comedy, you're probably on the right level to enjoy his books. They're shit.

That's why I read them; when I was a boy.
Not me: as a lad I was too busy with Milton, Dostoyevsky and a bit of Chaucer for the naughty bits (eg The Miller's Tale -corrrr!)

A great pity, I loved all his books and devoured them when I was a teenager. Didn't know he was an ex bootie though.

Personal favourite would have to be either blott on the landscape or porterhouse blue.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

A great pity, I loved all his books and devoured them when I was a teenager. Didn't know he was an ex bootie though.

Personal favourite would have to be either blott on the landscape or porterhouse blue.

Exact opposite of my choices then. I thought he was ex blue job

Did you know arrsepedia is asking for a user/pass?

The TV series did nothing to change my opinion either.

Here's a jerky voiced news-bird talking about him:
[video=youtube;aCQc8W5gMhs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCQc8W5gMhs&feature=player_detailpage#t=0s[/video]

Only read 2, The Throwback and Porterhouse Blue

I enjoyed The Throwback alot, but I can't fathom why, but only read it as it was an exercise cast off whilst in Germany and I had devoured my stack.

I read Porterhouse Blue because I didn't like the TV series and I wanted to know why due the fact I liked the Throwback so much (reason I watched the TV show in the first place) found out it was a cracking and funny story, I just didn't understand some of the school bits that where explained so absurdly well in the book

I had a friend- now also sadly gone- who worked with him in Pietermaritzburg (on which Piemburg was closely based). Apparently Sharpe was a live wire! I've read most of his books and laughed out loud at a few of them.