Told by ACA not suitable for QRH as from state school background

As the title says my ACA (officer) said I was unsuitable for the Queens Royal Hussars fam visit as I had come from a state school and would "not fit in the mess". He then proceeded to put me on a RTR fam visit instead. Can anyone confirm this is how cavalry regiments still behave or is it the archaic ramblings of a geriatric about to be axed in the cuts?

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Sniff, sniff. Can anyone else smell Jurno????

QRH test:

When I say "Shopped in Iceland" do you think a) Frozen Foods or b) Nordic trinkets

When I say "Fag" do you think a) Cigarette or b) small boy who looked after you at school and was beaten often, for fun.

When I say "Income" do you think a) your army pay or b) the money which appears in your account each month from your various portfolios or family old money.

If you answer (a) to any, stop trying to be the miserable poor guy in a mess full of money and join another regiment where you can enjoy your military career and the best social life that your wages can buy.

p.s. if you are a journo - rot in hell!

Unless they start commissioning their grooms you're fúcked. You common little man.

I dabbled with RTR when I looked at green commissioning. The Old Colonel grufty who did the recruiting piece asked why specifically RTR. 16 y.o. VI Crab told him because I wanted tanks but didn't have the private money for a Cav Regt. He got very huffy and told me that things didn't work like that any more, and the need for a private income was a vanished urban myth. That was back in 1997. So OP must be particularly overtly plebian to have attracted that flak.

How odd. Every ACA i've ever met, along with all the cav types i know are at pains to point out that school is utterly irrelevant, and its about your ability as a potential officer that matters

Did you really hear this or this what you (or your phone hacking, doubtless philandering cretin of an editor) wanted to hear?

0 out of 10. Must try harder.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I had a similar experience with my ACA some months ago. After discussing my school, sporting interests and army aspirations I was told I'd have a better chance of commissioning into the foot guards if I rode ponies rather than bicycles. Said ACA then went on to say he had never managed to get a PO into a guards regiment, let alone someone from a state school. Overall I was left in no doubt that I should expect no help from him in obtaining a fam visit.

The whole tone of the conversation left me slightly irritated but hasn't discouraged me from arranging a visit for myself.

Surely to be a cav officer you have to own a few ponies, a hundred hectares of land and wear silly red trousers.
Sorry, this simply won't do. Land is measured in acres and mustard trousers or breeks are also acceptable.

Told face to face and CERTAINLY NOT WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR and I must say i'm not sure why even the lowest journalist at the Guardian would be poking around the Army Rumour Service for a story.