Tokyo Olympics 2021 - why ?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
[ Mods- although there are a few mentions of this issue in various Covid-related threads, this is a much wider story. Feel free to re-site as ye listeth ]

This one time , at Band Camp*, I was accused of having ' acute political antennae '

Dunno about that, but this slowly grinding disaster-in-the-making has all my Spidey senses tingling:

SOURCE
Richard Lloyd Parry, Tokyo
Sunday May 30 2021, 12.01am, The Sunday Times

With hospitals collapsing, unvaccinated Japanese rebel against Games

In the Japanese city of Kobe, where people are dying for lack of hospital beds, older doctors describe a feeling of terrible déjà vu. Here in 1995 a massive earthquake struck, toppling motorways and destroying houses. Those present at the time agree — the past few weeks have been a similar experience.

Japan’s fourth wave of the pandemic has been the worst, and Kobe, and the vast neighbouring city of Osaka, have suffered more than anywhere. The Kent and Indian variants have taken root; more patients in their thirties and forties are becoming seriously ill. The health system has suffered a collapse, with the number of patients needing hospital treatment far exceeding the supply of suitable beds.

Continues......

The International Olympic Committee, staffed by various white, male, elderly B-List past Olympians seem utterly determined to make this year's Olympics happen.

• Despite Tokyo itself being in a state of emergency.
  • Despite only six per cent of Japanese Nationals (pop. 126M ) having received their first shot of ANY vaccine.
  • Despite a very sensible ban on non-Japanese spectators, The Times reckons 100,000 incoming visitors for the period of the Games.

There is, of course, a financial imperative at play.

Japan has sunk at least USD$15Bn in infrastructure costs.

Question: What is the financial driver behind the IOC's relentless push to make the Games happen ?
Who's Brown Envelope is at stake ?

Using the old 'Follow the Money ' tactic - who stands to LOSE the most if the Games are cancelled?

And why is no British Parliamentary group asking this?

To ask the Secretary of State for Culture Media and Sport why he has agreed that British Athletes and Para-Olympians should go ahead and attend the planned Tokyo Olympics next month - and if he will make a Statement to the House ?

I'm guessing it's just me , right ?

I mean, if Seb Coe thinks it's a good thing that should be enough for us all , right ?

1622644344220.png

#ReadySteadyTokyo

Er......

* well, First RO's comment in an ASR in the Pleistocene era

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
Because errrrr...... It is sport and that is more important than a few people's lives?

I think the IOC may be worried about setting a precedent if the games were cancelled due to international crisis.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Because errrrr...... It is sport and that is more important than a few people's lives?

I think the IOC may be worried about setting a precedent if the games were cancelled due to international crisis.
Like 2 World Wars for instance, where they were cancelled in 1920, 1940 & 1944?

Like 2 World Wars for instance, where they were cancelled in 1920, 1940 & 1944?

1920 was Antwerp. There was still politicking going on to try to win the bid during the War. There are some who believe that had the 1916 Games been awarded to a US city, they'd have gone ahead. As the venue was Berlin, though, the risk of a boycott was rather high...

As I understand it:

If the IOC cancel, then the host city gets reimbursed.
If the host city cancels then the costs fall as they lie, together with a breach of contract hammer.

This is a game of Covid poker, who blinks firsts looses.

Eyes_Right

Old-Salt
The decision to go ahead with the games rests with the International Olympic Committee (IOC). Just for some context, the IOC were recently asked to leave the Jimmy Saville/Cyril Smith fan club on the grounds of unethical conduct. They have been bilking graft and bribes for ever, both in the host country selection process and the subsequent sponsorship deals. They stand to lose a lot of money, either in compensation or through insurance claims if the games don't go ahead. The Japanese have an even murkier history than most with the IOC, so there is little chance of them being cancelled.

Money, money, money indeed, but it will be fun seeing politicians everywhere, performing their own Olympic level mental gymnastics, trying to justify a global super spreader event, while not revealing their own route to a bakkandah.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
1920 was Antwerp. There was still politicking going on to try to win the bid during the War. There are some who believe that had the 1916 Games been awarded to a US city, they'd have gone ahead. As the venue was Berlin, though, the risk of a boycott was rather high...
Mea culpa, I meant 1916.

It's true that vaccine figures are way behind other countries. However they are taking the epidemic very seriously- for example you won't find any arguments about wearing masks, it's what individuals want to do, not because it's government mandated.
The government have declared State's of Emergency in various prefectures,

However it's worth comparing the relative fatality rates with UK and US, bearing in mind that Japan had a head start on most other places (remember Diamond Princess?)

These are the latest figures from Johns Hopkins University, which is considered the gold standard of Covid statistics.

Deaths per 100,000 of population;
Japan 10.38
United Kingdom 191.59
United States 181.33

I often watch NHK World news which is considered a reliable source and I'm not getting the impression that the situation in Kansai is as dire as might be suggested.. Most Japanese now want the games to be cancelled

My own view is that the games should be cancelled, Should the games be cancelled, it's possible that they can be held in Tokyo in 7, 11, or so years. If a reduced form of the games are held, they will be considered done and dusted and Japan may not get another crack at the games for another half-century.

Useful Johns Hopkins Link;

Comparative Covid Deaths

Errr, the Second World War cancelled two Olympics, the precedent's been set.

Edit: beaten to it by @Joker62

Yokel

LE
Errr, the Second World War cancelled two Olympics, the precedent's been set.

Edit: beaten to it by @Joker62
I should have said in peacetime - there is no precedent for cancelling the Olympics in peacetime.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
They stand to lose a lot of money, either in compensation or through insurance claims if the games don't go ahead. The Japanese have an even murkier history than most with the IOC, so there is little chance of them being cancelled.

Money, money, money indeed, but it will be fun seeing politicians everywhere, performing their own Olympic level mental gymnastics, trying to justify a global super spreader event, while not revealing their own route to a bakkandah.

Captain Obvious says :

' This is of course the key part of the whole issue.

Whilst we could not expect President Modi of the Hindu Nationalist BJP in India to cancel the Khumb Mela event - thus virtually guaranteeing 4,000 deaths a DAY amongst the Hindu faithful - AIBU to expect the Japanese Government to use their collective loaf ?

I guess so...Truly, The Emperor Mong has no equals.....'

I'd have more sympathy for the plight of the Japanese, but given their refusal to apologise and compensate for their horrific treatment of captured men, women and children during WW2, I say fcuk'em.

It's true that vaccine figures are way behind other countries. However they are taking the epidemic very seriously- for example you won't find any arguments about wearing masks, it's what individuals want to do, not because it's government mandated.
The government have declared State's of Emergency in various prefectures,

However it's worth comparing the relative fatality rates with UK and US, bearing in mind that Japan had a head start on most other places (remember Diamond Princess?)

These are the latest figures from Johns Hopkins University, which is considered the gold standard of Covid statistics.

Deaths per 100,000 of population;
Japan 10.38
United Kingdom 191.59
United States 181.33

I often watch NHK World news which is considered a reliable source and I'm not getting the impression that the situation in Kansai is as dire as might be suggested.. Most Japanese now want the games to be cancelled

My own view is that the games should be cancelled, Should the games be cancelled, it's possible that they can be held in Tokyo in 7, 11, or so years. If a reduced form of the games are held, they will be considered done and dusted and Japan may not get another crack at the games for another half-century.

Useful Johns Hopkins Link;

Comparative Covid Deaths

The earliest Japan could host them would be 2032 - the 2028 Games were awarded to Los Angeles at the same time that the host city for the 2024 Games was announced. There's a further complication in that the 2032 Games have a preferred host (Brisbane), although that doesn't guarantee that they'll go there.

The rationale behind the deal was based on the fear was that if LA got 2024, the French would sulk and refuse to contemplate bidding for a future games, while the IOC had no obvious candidates for 2028 at the time. It seemed sensible to ask LA if they'd agree to 2028 as they'd be the sole bidder for that one and accept Paris as the 2024 venue; oddly enough, having been told that they didn't need to bid for the 2028 Games, LA said 'yes'.

If the Japanese have to wait until 2032 (or even 2036 if Brisbane kicks up a fuss, although that seems unlikely - they'd angle to be the preferred host for then, using LA as a precedent), they're going to have to put the permanent Olympic facilities into use, which means that they'll need refurbishment in 2032 (so more cost), and some of the temporary ones will either have to be demolished or lie idle (more cost again)- and if the Olympic Village is meant to be temporary or to be repurposed as housing after the Games, then the problem gets worse.

Without LA and Brisbane in the mix, I imagine that the IOC might have persuaded the French to magnanimously accept a slip to 2028 to allow Tokyo to host in 2024.

AIBU to expect the Japanese Government to use their collective loaf ?

They can't use their loaf or any similar comestibles for that matter - only the IOC can legally cancel the games. If the Japanese government cancels them by (say) a parliamentary act, then the IOC walks away with a very large cheque... this is why West Ham fans urging the demolition of the Olympic stadium so that it can be rebuilt with the pitch close to the stands are going to be in for a disappointment (at least for some years), since it was part of the contract with the IOC that the ability to host athletics meetings would be retained. Their only hope is that the re-construction of the Alexander Stadium for the 2022 Commonwealth Games will persuade the IOC to allow that clause in the contract to be varied, but they may struggle (the view of the IOC and the IAAF is that 'turn the stadium into a football ground' doesn't constitute a proper 'legacy')

Last edited:
The earliest Japan could host them would be 2032 - the 2028 Games were awarded to Los Angeles at the same time that the host city for the 2024 Games was announced. There's a further complication in that the 2032 Games have a preferred host (Brisbane), although that doesn't guarantee that they'll go there.

The rationale behind the deal was based on the fear was that if LA got 2024, the French would sulk and refuse to contemplate bidding for a future games, while the IOC had no obvious candidates for 2028 at the time. It seemed sensible to ask LA if they'd agree to 2028 as they'd be the sole bidder for that one and accept Paris as the 2024 venue; oddly enough, having been told that they didn't need to bid for the 2028 Games, LA said 'yes'.

If the Japanese have to wait until 2032 (or even 2036 if Brisbane kicks up a fuss, although that seems unlikely - they'd angle to be the preferred host for then, using LA as a precedent), they're going to have to put the permanent Olympic facilities into use, which means that they'll need refurbishment in 2032 (so more cost), and some of the temporary ones will either have to be demolished or lie idle (more cost again)- and if the Olympic Village is meant to be temporary or to be repurposed as housing after the Games, then the problem gets worse.

Without LA and Brisbane in the mix, I imagine that the IOC might have persuaded the French to magnanimously accept a slip to 2028 to allow Tokyo to host in 2024.

They can't use their loaf or any similar comestibles for that matter - only the IOC can legally cancel the games. If the Japanese government cancels them by (say) a parliamentary act, then the IOC walks away with a very large cheque... this is why West Ham fans urging the demolition of the Olympic stadium so that it can be rebuilt with the pitch close to the stands are going to be in for a disappointment (at least for some years), since it was part of the contract with the IOC that the ability to host athletics meetings would be retained. Their only hope is that the re-construction of the Alexander Stadium for the 2022 Olympics will persuade the IOC to allow that clause in the contract to be varied, but they may struggle (the view of the IOC and the IAAF is that 'turn the stadium into a football ground' doesn't constitute a proper 'legacy')

If BrisVegas gets the Olympics, presumably attractive sheila bum-pinching, drinking VB then projectile puking and sledging will be added to the sporting programme. Australia will then be guaranteed three gold medals.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
@Archimedes - thank you for an honest attempt at a sensible answer.

The IOC needs to be persuaded of the merits of common sense -

' Guys, its an unprecedented global event - all bets are off till we can sort this sh1t out.'

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Updated: This story may have longer spidererier legs, at least until the Opening Ceremony....featured on Peston's ITV thing last night:

Lord Coe said some concerns about the Games "quite wide off the mark"

"Even the arrangements in the village, which I'm very familiar with, are very tough," Lord Coe added.

"Athletes are not going to be mixing between countries, the village cafeteria which I remember from London is sort of 10,500 athletes eating in a mingle, which is what the Olympic spirit's about, that isn't going to happen."

The Tokyo Olympics are scheduled to start on July 23 after the Games were delayed by a year due to the pandemic.

A plan to prioritise vaccinations for Japanese athletes has been delayed, according to media reports.Just 4% of the population has had at least one dose of a Covid vaccine and only 2.3% of the population has been fully vaccinated, while doctors in Osaka warned this week that hospitals were close to collapse.Japan has lagged on vaccinations due to bureaucratic and planning missteps, along with shortages.

Cue: Mandy Rice-Davies quotation....on your marks...get set......GO!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57329388

( The BBC story hinges on the feminist perspective - female Minister, herself an Olympian cyclist, appointed after her predecessor dismissed for sexist remarks )

US issues Japan travel warning weeks before Olympics

USA cautions on air flights to/from Japan.

' The US Center for Disease Control (CDC) said "travellers should avoid all travel" to the country, warning that

" in the current situation in Japan even fully vaccinated travellers may be at risk for getting and spreading" Covid variants. '

In response Lord Coe said ' Nothing to see here chaps, everything is fine ....er......'

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
And in yet another demonstration that the EU position on travel is entirely politically-based, this:

The EU have added Japan to the list of countries from which quarantine is not required for non-essential travellers.
In Europe, European Union governments have agreed to add Japan to a small list of countries from which they will allow non-essential travel, while holding off until at least mid-June for British tourists.

@Archimedes - thank you for an honest attempt at a sensible answer.

The IOC needs to be persuaded of the merits of common sense -

' Guys, its an unprecedented global event - all bets are off till we can sort this sh1t out.'

The IOC and Common Sense are not, generally, regarded as having a close relationship, at least in athletics circles...

Every once in a while an Olympics comes along which is a total clusterf@ck. Montreal, which the canucks are still paying for. Atlanta. This might be another one.

Latest Threads