Tokyo Olympics 2020 eerrrrr 2021.

1.1 M for archery and no medals. That had better f..king change before Paris. We want a rerun of Crecy and Agincourt. Those medals should have Britain written all over them. Stuff the singing, get these welsh blokes out on the village green playing Robin Hood.
As a Scot I am somewhat ambivalent about English and Welsh archers, TBH.

PFGEN

GCM
As a Scot I am somewhat ambivalent about English and Welsh archers, TBH.
Good point, I forgot we still have skills in that area. One of the family cousins was a member of the archery company of something or other which had a fancy uniform. He was a bit more pan loaf than the rest of us.

Good point, I forgot we still have skills in that area. One of the family cousins was a member of the archery company of something or other which had a fancy uniform. He was a bit more pan loaf than the rest of us.
There is that too, but it’s not quite what I meant. We were mostly on the other side in the 100 years war, although I don’t think there were any Scots at Agincourt, there were at Verneuil.

Nearly so in days of yore, when the Scissor and the Western Roll were the legal single leg take-offs. That fella Dick Fosbury then set a style, within the Olympic rules, and, as it is remarked..... the rest is history.
We were taught both at school, because that is what the PE teacher had learnt at Stranmillis.

A lad who 6 years later went on to be the Ulster schools champion, actually copied Dick Fosbury – and forced the teacher to modernise his coaching!

Their most successful outing was at Vancouver with 5 golds. In terms of number of medals it was Lillehammer. See Wikipedia (China gongs)

Events they have won medals in are short track, speed skating, snow boarding, curling, freestyle and figure skating. Not sure if they compete in other events. I would have thought they might have put together something for the biathlon from the army. They have snow, mountains and shooty things. Just need tour skis and an incentive like "want to see the family again".
Yep I remember that games. Quite a few of their gold medals had an element of luck in them especially in short track speed skating. I think the issue is, is that their snow in largely concerntrated in one region hence a smaller recruiting pool for skiing as opposed to skating which can be done anywhere.I think its abit of a 'Dutch disease' effect in sport, in such that because they are so successful at the summer olympic games potential winter olympic athletes are diverted by the state to summer olympic sports.

I would say that you Scots have some pedigree in terms of archery given that you have your own bodyguards for HMQ, they should be able to see of all comers at the next Olympics if called upon

Their most successful outing was at Vancouver with 5 golds. In terms of number of medals it was Lillehammer. See Wikipedia (China gongs)

Events they have won medals in are short track, speed skating, snow boarding, curling, freestyle and figure skating. Not sure if they compete in other events. I would have thought they might have put together something for the biathlon from the army. They have snow, mountains and shooty things. Just need tour skis and an incentive like "want to see the family again".
Re the Chinese and the biathlon, they are taking it seriously given the employment of these two as their coaches for their team in the run up to the 2022 games

If they don’t know anything about biathlon nobody apart from stacker1 does.

If only there was a medal for enthusiastically jumping up and down . . . :) :) !!

Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh dear, are GB about to have a medal taken away?

More tests ongoing.

Aaah, now it seems saffer Olympic committee has reneged on their pre games promise to pay medal winners...
And, given we won a measly 3, shows they were skint beforehand.
OR they don't want to pay the white women who won!!!!

Eliud Kipchoge won the Marathon in Tokyo.

Was it ever in doubt?

Latest Threads