Tokyo Olympics 2020 eerrrrr 2021.

The Olympics is just another competition for top professionals so has very little interest for me. I think certain sports should be binned - golf, football, tennis, baseball, basketball, rugby - in particular. I would also bar any sportsperson who has competed in a professional capacity at any of their sports' top professional competitions or tournaments in the previous four years prior to the Olympic competition in which they wish to compete.

The sports I do think should continue to be represented in the Olympics should be track & field, gymnastics, swimming & diving, fencing, archery, shooting, boxing, judo, weightlifting, track cycling, triathlon, modern pentathlon and bring back the decathlon.

Sports such as surfing, skateboarding, dancing horses and synchronised drowning should be binned.

Laura Muir had the 800m and the 1500m to compete in but after looking at the stats made a tactical decision to focus on the 1500m where she is stronger. She looked comfortable at the front of round one heat one and qualified. A number of fallers at the back of heat two. Revee Walcott-Nolan got clipped a lot during that round and came 7th, so unfortunately just missed out on qualification but did run a personal best. Katie Snowden qualified in heat three.

Last edited:
The Olympics is just another competition for top professionals so has very little interest for me. I think certain sports should be binned - golf, football, tennis, baseball, basketball, rugby - in particular. I would also bar any sportsperson who has competed in a professional capacity at any of their sports' top professional competitions or tournaments in the previous four years prior to the Olympic competition in which they wish to compete.

The sports I do think should continue to be represented in the Olympics should be track & field, gymnastics, swimming & diving, fencing, archery, shooting, boxing, judo, weightlifting, track cycling, triathlon, modern pentathlon and bring back the decathlon.

Sports such as surfing, skateboarding, dancing horses and synchronised drowning should be binned.
Pretty much our entire Olympic squad are 'professional sportsmen/women' with no other 'job' as they're fully funded by Lottery money. They train full time a lot of them. They compete in track and field events for money.. If they were excluded and we were represented by true amateurs then our future squad would be made up of the likes of Eddie the Eagle... and I note you haven't listed beach volleyball... In? ....or out?

Alamo

LE
Personally, and much as I admire the ability of those concerned, I would prefer the olympics to be reserved for those activities that can be objectively assessed. Anything that requires judges to assess ‘artistic merit’ I would set aside. Not saying there shouldn’t be such competitions, including to World Champion status, but not the olympics.

Higher, faster, stronger, and all that.

Personally, and much as I admire the ability of those concerned, I would prefer the olympics to be reserved for those activities that can be objectively assessed. Anything that requires judges to assess ‘artistic merit’ I would set aside. Not saying there shouldn’t be such competitions, including to World Champion status, but not the olympics.

Absolutely.
But that would knock fan favourite golden boy Daley for six.

I tend to agree but then watched the men’s gymnastics floor routine and whilst they are marked I believe it was for technical achievement rather than artistic merit so have to revise my position.

They keep pushing for it, but as it is a colonial sport, only played in a few nations, IOC keeps knocking them back.
Big, sort of, at Commonwealth though.
Well as that constitutes 1/3rd of the worlds countries I think it is a bit poor, especially when they have rounders in it.

Alamo

LE
I tend to agree but then watched the men’s gymnastics floor routine and whilst they are marked I believe it was for technical achievement rather than artistic merit so have to revise my position.
Yes, like dressage, which I believe has a set if routines which must be completed in a fixed order.
Yes, a difficult call. There are compulsory elements, but then judges assess how well they were done, including how pretty they look in execution.

Ever seen a black bowler?
Nope, me neither.
My local bowling club is a fine example of lilywhite conservatism.
We have a few at our indoor club. and there are a few at a number of outdoor clubs. Jamaica have a number of good lawn bowlers as do Kenya and South Africa. It is in the Commonwealth Games at Leamington Spa next year.

Too much BBC waffle, not enough sport. Should of paid less for their Opulent, glass tower location and more to Discovery for viewing rights.

Too much BBC waffle, not enough sport. Should of paid less for their Opulent, glass tower location and more to Discovery for viewing rights.
The location is all greenscreen trickery, they are actually in Salford.

Latest Threads