Tokyo Olympics 2020 eerrrrr 2021.

When you drive past it yourself do give a few of toots on the horn from us here on Arrse
Will do, tooting has quietened down during the afternoon. Had a few words with Dad this morning, to say Proud As Punch is an understatement :)

The Italians are going crackers after Jacobs won the 100m.
I was hoping the Canadian would not have medaled at all, every advert break for the past year has featured him shilling one thing or another and he has the screen presence of a brain damaged sloth...

I was hoping the Canadian would not have medaled at all, every advert break for the past year has featured him shilling one thing or another and he has the screen presence of a brain damaged sloth...
The brain damaged sloth appreciation society will have your balls for that...

Novak Djokovic going into full 'John McEnroe' meltdown in the Tennis. Never seen him lose it like that before.

Someone earlier said that Golf should not be included in the Olympics. I agree 100%, but I would add Tennis and 11 a-side Football to that list. These sports especially Golf and Tennis are played by millionaire professional sportsmen who don't need to be there at the Olympics.

Novak Djokovic going into full 'John McEnroe' meltdown in the Tennis. Never seen him lose it like that before.

Someone earlier said that Golf should not be included in the Olympics. I agree 100%, but I would add Tennis and 11 a-side Football to that list. These sports especially Golf and Tennis are played by millionaire professional sportsmen who don't need to be there at the Olympics.

Golf's an odd one - it was introduced in 1900, but after the 1904 games in the US, where of the 80-odd competitors something like 75 of them were American (rather increasing their chances of medals...) and the rest were from Canada...

I think the IOC may have concluded that this was taking the proverbial and dropped it before the 1908 Games saw a field made up mainly of Britons.

It has a claim to be worth a place, but since there's a thriving amateur game (granted, dominated by the US), you'd have thought that if they were going to have it back, drawing from the amateur circuit rather than the US PGA, European Tour and the various other continental tours would've been the right place from which to draw the competitors.

Football (and basketball for me) fall into the same category where the participants should be from the amateur game, not looking to add Olympic gold to their various titles won as professionals...

Top ten at end of 1st August in Tokyo:

1627836628626.png

It has a claim to be worth a place, but since there's a thriving amateur game (granted, dominated by the US), you'd have thought that if they were going to have it back, drawing from the amateur circuit rather than the US PGA, European Tour and the various other continental tours would've been the right place from which to draw the competitors.

Football (and basketball for me) fall into the same category where the participants should be from the amateur game, not looking to add Olympic gold to their various titles won as professionals...
Totally agree. You hear the professionals wistfully talk about the Olympic spirit and the chance to talk to athletes from all walks of life and all disciplines. Tommy Fleetwood's interview yesterday was saying just that, how he loved the Olympic village and the feeling of being part of something special.
The professional era in all sports has lost some of the innocence of the amateur game, particularly in individual sports like golf and tennis. making the Olympics "amateurs only" again would IMHO make it better.
However we all know that money drives everything these days.

Totally agree. You hear the professionals wistfully talk about the Olympic spirit and the chance to talk to athletes from all walks of life and all disciplines. Tommy Fleetwood's interview yesterday was saying just that, how he loved the Olympic village and the feeling of being part of something special.
The professional era in all sports has lost some of the innocence of the amateur game, particularly in individual sports like golf and tennis. making the Olympics "amateurs only" again would IMHO make it better.
Back to shamateurism?
Yrp, team USA has a bunch of athletes all at the university of toadlick, Alabama, all studying basketweaving on a six year bursary.
And, to be honest, Olympics has to compete in the global TV stakes... Would you really want to watch amateur footballers, after a diet if premier league stuff?
Or Senegal's leading golfer hacking round in 87?
By the way, did Alf Tupper ever go to the Olympics?

Because the likes of Fleetwood, Casey, Rose, Schauffle etc are all decent coves, it perhaps helps golf's status.

If Sabatini (who must rank as one of the least popular members of the PGA tour with his peers) had won, or deChambeau had been there, I suspect their interviews would've led to instant calls for golf to be removed from the Games...

Hy the way, did Alf Tupper ever go to the Olympics?

Yes - Gold Medal in the 1968 Mexico Olympics (at least according to the archives of Victor comic...)

Because the likes of Fleetwood, Casey, Rose, Schauffle etc are all decent coves, it perhaps helps golf's status.

If Sabatini (who must rank as one of the least popular members of the PGA tour with his peers) had won, or deChambeau had been there, I suspect their interviews would've led to instant calls for golf to be removed from the Games...

Yes - Gold Medal in the 1968 Mexico Olympics (at least according to the archives of Victor comic...)
Did they have Fish and Chips in Mexico...

Yep, but was stripped of his medal after tests showed too much fish and chips in his system

Zharnel Hughes disqualified for a false start in the men's 100m final. Such a pity because he ran 9.98 seconds in the semi final.

The winner of the final the time was 9.80 so based on that, he could have got at least a silver.

Screenshot_20210801-193454_Chrome.jpg

Latest Threads