Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toilets and sinks on military aircraft

verticalgyro

MIA
DirtyBAT
I travel frequently on CIv Air to and from the Middle East, Top tip get in before the locals do as once they have been in the shitters look like well Shit Houses, water all over the floor, shit on the seats and around the rim, paper towel covered in shit in the disposal bins. 3rd world my Ass try prehistoric

Shits bad when the shitter is Cat 5'd.

I travel frequently on CIv Air to and from the Middle East, Top tip get in before the locals do as once they have been in the shitters look like well Shit Houses, water all over the floor, shit on the seats and around the rim, paper towel covered in shit in the disposal bins. 3rd world my Ass try prehistoric

Have only transited through the ME a few times using Emirates, Etihad in economy (yes, I am poor). Haven't had any issues. Maybe I was lucky.

Have only transited through the ME a few times using Emirates, Etihad in economy (yes, I am poor). Haven't had any issues. Maybe I was lucky.

The crew clean them quite often during the flight, if you're unlucky you'll time it in between cleans and they're fucking atrocious.

Take two of those: you won't crap for a week.

FHA

LE
Had a quick look at the aircraft in the OP.

The 737NG* uses a vacuum toilet** system. All the paraphernalia (vacuum pumps, tanks, lines etc...) sit below the centreline naturally.
Same with the potable water and drainage system. Even that is more complicated than you might think: collectors, heated drain masts, heated drain lines blah, blah.

Looking at the P8, the lower fuselage has been comprehensively butchered (where a lot of the above is located and routed) to make room for the warry stuff. The E7 less so.
Hence, bye bye sinks and sh!tters.

* One of my engineer type-ratings.

** Note to illegals: no, flushing your passport down the bog doesn’t get rid of it. It doesn’t go very far. Thank god for rubber gloves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To divert back to galleys for a minute, during the initial design phase of the ill-fated Nimrod MRA4, by the time they crammed all the "we must have" kit on board it was a bit overweight. During an investigation into how they could save weight, a non-blue suit manager suggested they could ditch the galley.

This suggestion lasted as long as it took to get to the closest blue suit aircrew type who politely suggested that was not going to happen.......

verticalgyro

MIA
DirtyBAT
To divert back to galleys for a minute, during the initial design phase of the ill-fated Nimrod MRA4, by the time they crammed all the "we must have" kit on board it was a bit overweight. During an investigation into how they could save weight, a non-blue suit manager suggested they could ditch the galley.

This suggestion lasted as long as it took to get to the closest blue suit aircrew type who politely suggested that was not going to happen.......

Human Factors - how do you expect a crew to stay alert for perhaps a 12 hour task unless you're feeding and watering them correctly?

We could, of course, go down the U2 route and issue Dexedrine.

I'm not aircrew, but some kit is essential. Cue the BAOR Warriors who will honk on about haverbag rations, Menu D and Wolfies Bratties being enough for a 6 week exercise on Soltau.

Edited to add: I'd have ditched the toilets and made them shit in bags to bring the AUM of the Aircraft down, whilst retaining the galley.

Not to mention the seeming inability to lock the doors. I have several times walked in on some old bint in her Darth Vader gear whilst she is trying to squeeze one out. Not a pleasant sight...

Yeah, probably Boeing had a warehouse full of the crappers.

It's the surrounding structure more than anything, hyd pump, fold out screen for the urinal, ramp operating controls etc that say Hercules to me. Plus it's tied in the up position as they used a dodgy little catch to hold it which doesn't work when somebody just lowers the footrest and sits on it. The whole lot will drop about 2'. That hurts and you get every bodies else's turds all over you. Not that I ever used the thing. If there was a chance of porcelain anywhere I took it.

RP.

Had a quick look at the aircraft in the OP.

The 737NG* uses a vacuum toilet** system. All the paraphernalia (vacuum pumps, tanks, lines etc...) sit below the centreline naturally.
Same with the potable water and drainage system. Even that is more complicated than you might think: collectors, heated drain masts, heated drain lines blah, blah.

Looking at the P8, the lower fuselage has been comprehensively butchered (where a lot of the above is located and routed) to make room for the warry stuff. The E7 less so.
Hence, bye bye sinks and sh!tters.

* One of my engineer type-ratings.

** Note to illegals: no, flushing your passport down the bog doesn’t get rid of it. It doesn’t go very far. Thank god for rubber gloves.

The P8 has a toilet but not the sink, hence all this back and forth.

FHA

LE
The P8 has a toilet but not the sink, hence all this back and forth.

Cheers red, just re-read the post. I see it’s at the back, makes sense.
The pipes for the forward module run the length of the fuselage, so that’s them handily out of the equation.

I seem to remember that when we used to shut off a faulty sink in a bog, then the entire lav module had to be shut off to the public. Hygiene issues and all that.
Lately though I’ve seen them deferred with inoperative sinks (tap water supply turned off) and lav still in use due to the advent of hand gels. Don’t agree with it myself.

Christ, am I really talking about aircraft bogs on my downtime?!

verticalgyro

MIA
DirtyBAT
It's the surrounding structure more than anything, hyd pump, fold out screen for the urinal, ramp operating controls etc that say Hercules to me. Plus it's tied in the up position as they used a dodgy little catch to hold it which doesn't work when somebody just lowers the footrest and sits on it. The whole lot will drop about 2'. That hurts and you get every bodies else's turds all over you. Not that I ever used the thing. If there was a chance of porcelain anywhere I took it.

RP.

Oh I see, you're saying the image is of a shitter fitted to a Herc.

I spent two days shifting through the eye of a needle on a C130 from Edmonton-Goose Bay-Lyneham after a ten day diet of Labatts and Hotwings from West Ed Mall Hooters after the RAF stranded a few of us there.

Endearing memories, although my khazi recognition is poor it seems.

I spent two days shifting through the eye of a needle on a C130 from Edmonton-Goose Bay-Lyneham after a ten day diet of Labatts and Hotwings from West Ed Mall Hooters after the RAF stranded a few of us there.

Clearly the C130 crews have a sense of humour. I recall a small metal stool with hole cut in the seat. Cardboard box with bin liner in it below the stool.

I emptied a few khazis like that. It seemed to be a pongo game to see how full they could get it and still curl one out on top.

RP.

Regarding the Tu-95 arrangements, Unlucky for whoever ends up with the seat in front of the bog.

Secondary duty includes having to hold conversation with whoever is on the bog, and helping to coax out any large logs as one is straining on the throne!

You oik!. I'm eating my dinner eating this!.

Latest Threads