Today we cremated a workmate...

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
... yes he was dead.

In good recce style two of us rolled up 30 minutes early to carry out a CTR. There were a handful of floral tributes to the deceased who had passed this way yesterday and earlier today. Being a nosey bastard (on Bluetooth, my phone is called Nosey for the benefit of anyone who finds my signal and tries to get it on), I had a good nose.

The furthest tribute featured a garter and a crown, so I looked a bit closer cos it was quite likely he was military.

Imagine the chill that ran down me spine. Southampton crematorium is a long way from the 15/19H recruitment area, but that's what the scroll across the bottom of the wreath read.

Any ex-Tabs recognise the name Reginald Charles Pitman probably from some time between 1945 and 1975?

The main tribute identified him as a GRANDDAD, so I am guessing he was before my time. I am sure I'd have recognised the name.

I paid my respects to him. Best I could do.

Hats off in respect mate.

If I remember I will pop into the Discovery Museum in the Toon, which is now home to 15/19H and LD's regimental museum (ingeniously called 'A Soldiers Life - they must have been up all night to think of that?') and see if they have any info an the above mentioned Hussar.

I have met Geordies all over the world now, so I'm not suprised one of our own has turned up so far from home. I even got served by a Geordie bar maid in British Columbia once!

AFTM

Reply duly received from HHQ LD as follows;

Reginald Pitman served between 1952 and 1967 he passed away on 15 January this year M******l T***e attended the Cremation Service and sent the following report to HHQ:

I duly went to the cremation service in Southampton, which was well done with a big family turnout. I said I was representing the Regiment and they seemed pleased to see a 15/19H tie. I suggested to grandson Matthew, son of M*****l Pitman who was in the 15/19H band for 11 years, that he might take a photograph of the wreath in the form of a regimental badge, which he did. I gave him your address and he was going to send it on to you in case there was room in the obituary section of the Journal.

I met Reg's widow, two sons, three daughters and several other family members and we had a good chat at their club afterwards in Chandlers Ford. Also C***n M*****e, who had driven from Northampton. His family and theirs had all been close as children in the Regiment. I felt very privileged to be there.

Regards

Hope that sheds a little more light on the subject for you.

TS

Tom, send me a PM with the names minus the *** mate. Cheers.

Mac

hat_mackem said:
AFTM

Reply duly received from HHQ LD as follows;

Reginald Pitman served between 1952 and 1967 he passed away on 15 January this year M******l T***e attended the Cremation Service and sent the following report to HHQ:

I duly went to the cremation service in Southampton, which was well done with a big family turnout. I said I was representing the Regiment and they seemed pleased to see a 15/19H tie. I suggested to grandson Matthew, son of M*****l Pitman who was in the 15/19H band for 11 years, that he might take a photograph of the wreath in the form of a regimental badge, which he did. I gave him your address and he was going to send it on to you in case there was room in the obituary section of the Journal.

I met Reg's widow, two sons, three daughters and several other family members and we had a good chat at their club afterwards in Chandlers Ford. Also C***n M*****e, who had driven from Northampton. His family and theirs had all been close as children in the Regiment. I felt very privileged to be there.

Regards

Hope that sheds a little more light on the subject for you.

TS

Latest Threads