TODAY PROGRAMME

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by H_FLASHMAN, Apr 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TODAY PROGRAMME NOW: Soldier's opinion of Des Brown!

2. ARRSE "One popular army website" quoted as having 90% no confidence in Brown. (94% since I added my vote to the thread!)

3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

When? They didn't use it on the earlier edition that I heard.

Who had the question of the unpalatable figures asked of him?

4. Some good quotes from ARRSE - I think we need to encourage the BBC towards the expression, "ARRSE" - They need a new buzz phrase now that "war on terror" is so yesterday.

ARRSE really is the new black.

Interesting to hear Eric Joyce MP, speaking on the Today program saying that he got his information from what he'd read in the papers. Are we to believe that speaking on an issue such as this, the Government puts forward a spokesman, whose knowledge of the subject has not been briefed to him through government mechanisms?

The statement by Eric Joyce that this website has "many racist and homophoebic views" as a way to "rubbish" the opinion indicated in the main on this website is a disgrace.

Ubique

5. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

...and probably legally defamatory of the moderators as well! Mr Joyce ought to remember that the Today programme doesn't carry any form of Parliamentary privilege. There's certainly some homophobia knocking around on Arrse, but the moderators and admins are very clear on their duty to remove any racist remarks which get posted here.

6. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Joyce, yes?

We know his views on the military

No change in his opinions then :roll:

7. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Eric Joyce, MP for Falkirk, tried to negate the comments on ARRSE when he stated, "there's quite a bit of racism and homophobia on that site anyway."

Once again proving that these clowns haven't a Scooby about squaddie humour.
    He must have been confused as a Jock in the 'Watch ! No wonder he went to the AGC.

If he'd have taken more than a cursory glance at the site he would have seen that his statement was, shall we say 'inaccurate' ?
    No, lets put it in Bliarspeak, it was 'spin' - a word that those of us who have more than a passing command of the English language understand to mean 'lies.'

Mr Joyce, if you ever read the site again please do so properly and see exactly how genuine racist and homophobic comments are dealt with - not only by the moderators but by serving and ex-serving members.

This is the glib 'gentleman':
    [​IMG]

He'll probably not be interested in your views if they differ from the Party line, but you may contact him here:

Constituency
    Eric Joyce MP
    The Studio
    Burnfoot Lane
    Falkirk
    FK1 5BH
    email mcintyrem@parliament.uk
    phone 01324 638919

Westminster
    Eric Joyce MP
    House of Commons
    London
    SW1A 0AA
    email ericjoycemp@parliament.uk
    phone 020 7219 6210

8. Mr Joyce has served:

And the tale of his leaving shows that his opinions of the Army have changed little in the intervening 8 years:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/226266.stm

9. Just a random thought, but.....

I wonder if ARRSE is now seen as such a threat by the current administration. that the NuLabour Mothership has briefed to its droids, a standard rebutal ("its homophobic and racist" ) to be used when confronted with a Jurno's question on ARRSE statements?

10. This is priceless, does anyone want to put a figure on the settlement? I think the phrase he is looking for is "oops"!

11. Do they accept that ARRSE is representative of the British Army (nay the Armed Forces) as a whole? If so they are effectively declaring the Army to be racist and homophobic. If this is the case are they doing anything to redress this?

Fortunately we already know that Mr Joyce is a c0ck of the highest order.

12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Aye, probably no more, and very likely much less, than is found in any other area of society.

Reference the defamatory remarks about the site, are there any lawyers reading this that could provide an accurate opinion of the likelihood of such a case succeeding ?
    Is there an 'in point' prescedent ?

13. Anyone going to complain to the BBC?

14. Don't bother complaining - the BBC will be far too busy fielding complaints from 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' about Start the Week, because......

(wait for it)

Someone said the F word. On Radio 4. At approx 0905. (Faints) :D

15. I think that there is little or no chance of Brown getting the chop. It will hand Iran another stick with which to hit the government and with which the Iranians can support their own position along the lines of 'look we bought down the minister of defence over a minor incident' which the government wouldn't want to have to stomach and to be frank the conservatives wouldn't really want Britain to look foolish either. He will be moved aside under the next leader if it happens.