Today in British History

According to the records I have German Grandad was there in the 19th Infantry division "Durchbruch zwischen Gouzeaucourt and Vermand. In the Previous November he had been at hill 344 (Vor Verdun). His commander would have been GeneralLeutnant Walter Von Huelsen.
Shamelessly nicked from the Axis History forum.
Interestingly she was at 3 CCS in Gezaincourt on the Somme. She was very complimentary of the German commander who captured the site, he was described as charming and a gentleman!

In Die Schlachten und Gefechte des Großen Krieges, 1914-1918, there are three major actions listed as starting on this date with “Durchbruchschlacht” or “Durchbruch” in the title:

• 21-22 March 1918: Der Durchbruch zwischen Gouzeaucourt und Vermand (The breakthrough between Gouzeaucourt and Vermand) – 2nd Army
• 21-22 March 1918: Durchbruchschlacht Monchy-Cambrai – 17th Army
• 21-22 March 1918: Durchbruchschlacht bei St. Quentin-La Fère – 18th Army

Shamelessly nicked from the Axis History forum.
Interestingly she was at 3 CCS in Gezaincourt on the Somme. She was very complimentary of the German commander who captured the site, he was described as charming and a gentleman!

In Die Schlachten und Gefechte des Großen Krieges, 1914-1918, there are three major actions listed as starting on this date with “Durchbruchschlacht” or “Durchbruch” in the title:

• 21-22 March 1918: Der Durchbruch zwischen Gouzeaucourt und Vermand (The breakthrough between Gouzeaucourt and Vermand) – 2nd Army
• 21-22 March 1918: Durchbruchschlacht Monchy-Cambrai – 17th Army
• 21-22 March 1918: Durchbruchschlacht bei St. Quentin-La Fère – 18th Army
I nope, I did my own research and it came up looking at the information on the Oldenburg Regiment nr 91 in which myG Grandfather served during the Franco Prussian and Grandad served in WWI and WWII but the accreditation is exact. The point is that AXIS did not exist in WW1 so I wouldn't have looked there. I can't help it of other people are nicking it for their own ends, that's what it's there for.
The point is the the Oldenburg 91st were stood down in all but name in 1919. I do hope that helps a little.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
19th Infantry division
Bastids took on 15/19H, incompetently left on the open left flank of the BEF, 18 May 40. Artillery refused to play because the fire missions were into the Belgian Army zone (the Belgian Army that wasn't there, hence the open flank).

Hugely outnumbered and outflanked, it took four years to get back in the line.

Tell your granddad from me, I hold him personally responsible.

;)

I nope, I did my own research and it came up looking at the information on the Oldenburg Regiment nr 91 in which myG Grandfather served during the Franco Prussian and Grandad served in WWI and WWII but the accreditation is exact. The point is that AXIS did not exist in WW1 so I wouldn't have looked there. I can't help it of other people are nicking it for their own ends, that's what it's there for.
The point is the the Oldenburg 91st were stood down in all but name in 1919. I do hope that helps a little.
Of course not a problem- I appreciate the Axis powers didn't appear till the 2nd War, the Central powers being the 1st War grouping. But, the info came from this site which has info from the Weimer republic and 1st war - Axis History Forum - Index page
My Godfathers wife's dad served with the French in the Franco Prussian war and got an Iron Cross with the Germans in the 1st, he lived in Alsace and Lorraine which got regularly rolled over!

Chef

LE
Of course not a problem- I appreciate the Axis powers didn't appear till the 2nd War, the Central powers being the 1st War grouping. But, the info came from this site which has info from the Weimer republic and 1st war - Axis History Forum - Index page
My Godfathers wife's dad served with the French in the Franco Prussian war and got an Iron Cross with the Germans in the 1st, he lived in Alsace and Lorraine which got regularly rolled over!
Do you know much of his story?

He must have been getting on a bit, although there were UK soldiers in their 60s, I'd have thought an Alsacien would've held back a bit before joining up. But those were different times.

Well I still have Grandad's IKII together with my Great Uncles one medal on the British side, the one who was killed in Neuve Chapelle in 1915. That one was in 1 Can Div. Grandad ( British) I don't have his medals but he would have had a rack being in both lots. Dad's medals I have. From memory the Oldenburg lot were not reconstituted until either very late Weimar or V early 'itler. But they had both Infantry and Cavalry (19th I believe) in the first lot.
I believe when I was serving Oldenburg had 11PZgdr.
Alsace was the butt of many Jokes, not least that they never knew who they belonged to as they were never anywhere for very long.
I tend to be rather cautious of some sites who could be accorded the epithet fanbois, but those who have an active interest in identifying the dead / missing have some interesting facts.

Bastids took on 15/19H, incompetently left on the open left flank of the BEF, 18 May 40. Artillery refused to play because the fire missions were into the Belgian Army zone (the Belgian Army that wasn't there, hence the open flank).

Hugely outnumbered and outflanked, it took four years to get back in the line.

Tell your granddad from me, I hold him personally responsible.

;)
Well you can pray to him if you like, he died on the same day as Roosevelt in 1945. His last rank was Obergefreiter and in 1940 he would have been 56. If ya fancy infanteering at that age good luck to you.

16 April 2021. 275th anniversary of the Battle of Culloden.

Apparentltly, its an insignificant event in 'British' history.

Possibly due to the pedigree of Bonnie Prince Charlie: born in Italy to a Polish mother, which meant that English was a poor third language. A poor picker, he chose to trust his Irish Quartermaster general, Sullivan, over his most experienced leader, Murray. Ran like a coney after the battle, aided by a woman and possibly at times dressed as one. In later life he became a philanderer and wife beater. Pretender is a good description for him, yet despite all of the repercussions that the '45 visited on the Highlands, his fate was romanticised by people who should know better - the only decent results were grouse shooting moors and Drambuie.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Possibly due to the pedigree of Bonnie Prince Charlie: born in Italy to a Polish mother, which meant that English was a poor third language. A poor picker, he chose to trust his Irish Quartermaster general, Sullivan, over his most experienced leader, Murray. Ran like a coney after the battle, aided by a woman and possibly at times dressed as one. In later life he became a philanderer and wife beater. Pretender is a good description for him, yet despite all of the repercussions that the '45 visited on the Highlands, his fate was romanticised by people who should know better - the only decent results were grouse shooting moors and Drambuie.
Whereas, George II was born in Germany to German parents, learned French as his first language, German as his second, and English as a third/fourth language along with Italian.

Though you are correct that Charles Stuart was pretty much a waste of space.

Whereas, George II was born in Germany to German parents, learned French as his first language, German as his second, and English as a third/fourth language along with Italian.
can't resist this- and? I mean the point is the subjugation of the English at any cost, preferably by someone other than the English. The distinction may be somewhat fine, but we are talking of the Kings of the English rather than the English Kings. It should be a matter of some congratulation of the English that they decided to do away with the Republic- because they found no essential difference. In that sense we were streets ahead. That fact that Jamie II really didn't have a clue and had to be replaced by his sister and her Dutch husband is really neither here nor there.

can't resist this- and? I mean the point is the subjugation of the English at any cost, preferably by someone other than the English. The distinction may be somewhat fine, but we are talking of the Kings of the English rather than the English Kings. It should be a matter of some congratulation of the English that they decided to do away with the Republic- because they found no essential difference. In that sense we were streets ahead. That fact that Jamie II really didn't have a clue and had to be replaced by his sister and her Dutch husband is really neither here nor there.

Hanover one bites the dust.........

Latest Threads