Today in British History

Just to help....The British Royal Air Force (RAF) bombed oil plants in the Ruhr and Rhineland. Other targets included factories, inland docks, railways and aerodromes. Other forces attacked docks and harbour works at Rotterdam, Flushing, Antwerp, Ostend and Calais.

This is my Great GrandFather. I am pleased that I am finding his photo more and more on the internet. I posted this and a few others several years ago and I am finding it more and more. I have quite a bit of info about him if anyone is interested. Thank you

Sorry, I thought this would reply to the picture of my family on the post about what happened on 24th September 1917

I do have a few but not many, one of which I found on FaceBook when someone posted a picture of their Great Uncle with others before they went to war, he was there.My wife and I are going to visit his resting place in Loker Belgium at the end of March and then again at the end of October, we have done this for several years now.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Today in British History - The British Army captured Jericho.

Source

The Capture of Jericho occurred between 19 and 21 February 1918 to the east of Jerusalem beginning the Occupation of the Jordan Valley during the Sinai and Palestine Campaign of the First World War. Fighting took place in an area bordered by the BethlehemNablus road in the west, the Jordan River in the east, and north of a line from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea.[1] Here a British Empire force attacked Ottoman positions, forcing them back to Jericho and eventually across the Jordan River.

Winter rains put an end to campaigning after the advance from the GazaBeersheba line to the capture of Jerusalem in December 1917. This lull in the fighting offered the opportunity for the captured territories to be consolidated. Extensive developments were also required along the lines of communication to ensure that front-line troops were adequately supplied, approximately 150 miles (240 km) from their main bases at Moascar and Kantara on the Suez Canal.

General Edmund Allenby's initial strategic plans focused on his open right flank. If attacked with sufficiently large forces, he could be outflanked by an attack from the east—unlike his left flank which rested securely on the Mediterranean Sea to the west. His aim was to capture the territory east of Jerusalem stretching to the Dead Sea, where his right flank could be more secure. The area was garrisoned by Ottoman troops entrenched on hill-tops which the British infantry, Australian light horse and New Zealand Mounted Rifles Brigades attacked. The infantry captured Talat ed Dumm on the main Jerusalem to Jericho road, while the light horse and mounted rifle brigades captured Jericho and the area to the south bordered by the Jordan River and the Dead Sea.

1519244263397.png

------------ -------------
New Zealand Mounteds ride through Cairo

SOURCE 2

A mounted rifleman was essentially an infantryman on horseback who fought most efficiently in open countryside. Mounted riflemen were expected to ride to the scene of a battle but – unlike traditional cavalry – dismount and go into action as normal infantrymen.
The New Zealand Mounted Rifles Brigade comprised around 22% of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force which left New Zealand in 1914. It numbered 1680 men, divided between the Auckland, Canterbury, and Wellington regiments of around 550 men each. An Otago Mounted Rifles Regiment was also sent as a separate stand-alone unit. The Mounted Rifles fought on Gallipoli in 1915 without their horses.

The NZEF was reorganised in early 1916 in preparation for the despatch of the bulk of the force to the Western Front as the New Zealand Division. It was clear by this time that mounted riflemen had little value in stationary trench warfare, so the New Zealand Mounted Brigade – with its Auckland, Canterbury, and Wellington regiments – was retained in the Middle East. It joined with several Australian and British units to form an Australian and New Zealand Mounted Division which served in Sinai and Palestine for the rest of the war.
In Sinai and Palestine the mounted rifles were valued for their ability to patrol and reconnoitre over a much larger area than could be covered on foot. The key battlefield advantage of a mounted rifles regiment over a standard infantry battalion was superior mobility. Key disadvantages were that it had fewer men and fewer support weapons.
The Otago Mounted Rifles Regiment, reduced to a single squadron, moved to the Western Front with the New Zealand Division in April 1916. Renamed the 1st OMR Squadron, it was part of I Anzac Corps before joining II Anzac Corps in July 1916 as part of a 2nd Anzac Mounted Regiment with Australian troops. It fought at Messines (June 1917), Passchendaele (October 1917), against the German Spring Offensive (March–July 1917), and in the Advance to Victory (July–November 1918).

---------------------------------

Douglas Bader was born today 21st Feb 1910.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
And by all accounts he was a bit of a cunt.
So I've heard. My girlfriend's late boss got dicked to caddy for him while he was doing his National Service in the RAF. Basically said what you have just said. Then again, would a nice person under similar circumstances achieve what he did?

Said boss later set up a care home for adults with learning difficulties, which is where our lass met him as she got a job there as a carer. One night she was complaining about some of the residents being awkward. My response of "Just because they are spastics doesn't automatically make them nice people" resulted in several days of (blessed) radio silence.

And by all accounts he was a bit of a cunt.
I read a story about an NZ Wing Commander who very soon after the war, while Bader was still serving, attended a conference in Washington that Bader also attended.
He stated that Bader loved the sound of his own voice, was extremely bombastic, and nobody else's views on any matter were of any significance.
He apparently formed a very low opinion of him.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
It has always been my opinion that some people who do some quite amazing things are not necessarily good or pleasant people.
Blair Mayne was supposedly unpleasant as well according to the tales about him.