Today I Learned...

A thread for random shit you come across which makes you think hmmm....that's something new I learned today.

I will start off with a grim one.

In 1986, a fuckwit Aeroflot captain bet with his co-pilot that he could land his plane flying blind using instruments only and crashed, killing 70 of the 94 passengers. Unfortunately, the pilot survived.

When Soviet Aeroflot Pilot Tried To Land Blind To Win A Bet And Killed 70 People
Sound like they would have been safer having Stevie Wonder flying

The only encounter (Stevie)Wonder had with the civil rights leader came in 1965 during the national airline strike.

"We took this Cessna plane from New York to Chicago and the pilot let me fly the plane," Wonder recalls with a chuckle. "I pushed the wrong thing and we started going dooowwnn . . . Oh my God!

A thread for random shit you come across which makes you think hmmm....that's something new I learned today.

In 1986, a fuckwit Aeroflot captain bet with his co-pilot that he could land his plane flying blind using instruments only and crashed, killing 70 of the 94 passengers. Unfortunately, the pilot survived.

When Soviet Aeroflot Pilot Tried To Land Blind To Win A Bet And Killed 70 People
Today I learnt that if you don’t get your underpants down at the same time as your trousers you get a hot, horrible, unexpected smelly mess to clean up

Int Cell? Really?

I hope to God you get a job soon-at least that should put a halt to perma-sending bone threads.

Today I learnt that if you don’t get your underpants down at the same time as your trousers you get a hot, horrible, unexpected smelly mess to clean up

I used to work with a lad who told me about when he was caught short on a building site.......

He scuttled behind a bush and hastily dropped his overalls........... "PHEWWWWWW "

He pulled up his overalls....... in his rush, he'd forgotten his overalls had a hood.

Until he pulled up his hood.........

I learned the NAAFI is for random cock like this.

Putting a HDD "beyond use" with a 5lb lump hammer results in thousands of tiny sharp bits of plastic flying everywhere.

Today I learnt whilst watching HMS Duncan on catch up that this boat could have taken out the 17 Russian jets that were flying about.

I couldn't help thinking
Bollocks?
was it even carrying 17 missiles?
would the Cpt have the balls or authority to Attack or would she have to refer back to the UK waiting on a decision whilst her nice boat got pounded?
The Navy didn't stand up to the Iranians why the hell would they stand up to the Russians?

Perhaps that nostalgia is sometimes what it used to be

Someone referenced The Waterboys on here, and I hadn't heard there music for years

What an earworm...

Today I learnt that more and more people lack basic grammar.

These are alternative forms of the past tense and past participle of the verb learn. Both are acceptable, but learned is often used in both British English and American English, whilelearnt is much more common in British English than in American English.

‘Learnt’ or ‘learned’? | Oxford Dictionaries

Last edited:
I used to work with a lad who told me about when he was caught short on a building site.......

He scuttled behind a bush and hastily dropped his overalls........... "PHEWWWWWW "

He pulled up his overalls....... in his rush, he'd forgotten his overalls had a hood.

Until he pulled up his hood.........
This lad you used to work with... he wasn't the bloke who went for a shovel recce on Sennelager / Soltau Luneberg / Bergen Hohne / Putlos etc and his shit mysteriously disappeared? The same bloke that everybody knew who was trapped and covered in shit when his mates pushed over the Turdis he was using?

The very same bloke, in fact, that every single soldier ever to serve in BAOR was on exercise with and only just missed witnessing the event, who was balancing on the log in the multi-user latrine when somebody threw a thunder flash in the turd trench?

If it was he has had a shit life.

Latest Threads