Today: Battle of the Boyne (Orangemens Day)

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by bovvy, Jul 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I logged onto Facebook this morning and found a "notification"; it informed me that a calender application showed "Today: Battle of the Boyne (Orangemen's Day)".

I recall seeing these marches on TV and found them inflammatory. Even with my p1ss-poor knowledge of history and politics, seeing these kn0bs made my blood boil.

I did a quick Google search and found, from 2004:

and, from 2005:

and, from 2008:

So, these demonstrations still take place?
  2. Of course. You have to leverage this obscure and inconclusive battle in order to pass the hate on to the next generation:

Otherwise who would do the petty crime, drug dealing, crude tattoos, spitting on toddlers outside primary schools, mob violence and murder that is 'Loyalism'?
  3. Not to forget that William of Orange was only able to win the battle because the Irish were betrayed at the last moment by Phillip of Vodaphone.

4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Yep. It's apparently vital that stopping outside RC churches and banging your drums in commemoration of the Dutch usurper whilst being followed by fat, Rangers football shirt clad, Elizabeth Duke sovereign ring wearing, Buckfast swilling fucktards allows people the freedom to proclaim the superiority of the protestant faith.
  5. The marching is taking place Monday because the 12th (Today) has fallen on a Sunday, although you wouldn't think by the row up the road last night. A band marching up the road about Midnight followed by a mob drinking, shouting and fighting and at the time it was pissing down with rain.
  6. Oh dear, you bit.

East of the Irish Sea the result of the BoB is taught (very briefly) in schools, not dinned into the national psyche.

You could argue the result of the BoB was inconclusive because frankly, it's still being fought on the streets of Northern Ireland to this day?
  7. I'm reminded of a quotation from one of Sir Terry Pratchett's books:

"Remember-the-atrocity-that-was-committed-against-us-which-excuses-the-atrocity-we-are-about-to-commit! Huzzah!" :roll:
  8. Orangemen are cunts, simple as.

If they want to celebrate the Protestant tradition, what's wrong with spending a bit more time in Church than just weddings, christenings and funerals? Oh, that's right - going to Church doesn't allow small, bitter little men to feel superior to someone for once in their pointless lives.
  9. Err, Major, err, umm, Phillip of Vodaphone?
  10. Actually they are mostly over 65 and spend rather too much time in Church. That's part of the problem.

Wouldn't want my daughter to marry one but I hear they have a wonderful sense of rhythm.
  11. Glad you appreciated it and sussed my ploy, mucker. Your man obviously needs a few lessons in "biting".

12. Wonderful sense of rhthym? Nah that's the Catholics
  13. It's true. You were on millimetric irony-band. Went quite over my head... :oops:
  14. Fair play, fella! Game on! :D :D :D

15. It's spelled "Vodafone" anyway :D .