Toasts in the Mess

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by Lumpy, Jun 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents,

I've Mr Vice at an upcoming dinner night, at which there shall be a civilian guest who hails from the US.....I know we toast the Queen, the Corps, and fallen comrades, but do I raise a toast to their armed forces, country or president at all?

Advice would be much appreciated!

Lumpy.....

2. Id seek advice from your PMC and Presiding member on this as soon as possible, but would presume you can mention something. I know that in most the messes Ive been to they always have a practice beforehand and its always best to ask your going to be fined port what ever you do. Good luck :wink:

3. Settle for raising a toast to John Wayne. It's his centenary, after all....

4. now you either just come off last board, or really unlucky to be Mr Vice this time of year :wink:
    iirc you can toast to honoured guests..but been a while, the grey matter is failing these days as already said speak to PMC PEC etc

5. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Agree with all of the above. PMC / PEC is your first stop.

One question - Is your US guest someone of importance? Meaning that if he is simply a civilian guest (albeit an American one), then he requires no acknowledgement at all from Mr Vice.

If he is a VIP, then maybe the Presiding Member will mention him in his speech - and you should also touch base with the RSM to discuss this.

6. PMC's job to make sure you are aware of your duties as Mr Vice - so keep asking until your sure of what you have to do.

7. Dont forget the prayer before meal 'good food, good meat, good god lets eat' i like that one.