Toastmasters Speech

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by fatjock, Aug 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. folks, I will be giving a speech in the near future at my local toastmasters club. the title of my talk will be "Compassion in Conflict"

I would be interested in any information on kindness shown by people during conflicts especially by the enemy. Such as the sniper in Northern Ireland who did not shoot the IRA woman terrorist and the sgt who lay on top of a bomb to save the kids at a near by school. the names of these two people would also be a help to me.

Thanks in advance

now slimjock

2. I think the sniper bit is another story which grew a set of legs. McAlliskey was saved from a UVF murder attempt by an RMP Sgt, who ironically several years later was blown up in his car in Colchester by the IRA.

3. Sgt Michael Willets RIP 3 Para

http://www.palacebarracksmemorialgarden.org/The%20Parachute%20Regiment.htm

4. The sniper one I read in the book, A Long Long War. worth a read if you have not done so.

5. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

"Hellfire Valley" November, 1950

At the Chosin Reservoir in Korea, November, 1950, the Chinese shock offensive wiped out US Army units and six Chinese divisions surrounded the USMC Division in a series of pockets. Under the command of Lt Col Douglas Drysdale, RM, "Taskforce Drysdale" - 41 Commando RM, with USMC tanks and infantry attached - launched an operation from Koto-ri to reinforce the USMC garrison at Hagaru-ri. They were ambushed in strength from the hills on both sides of the road. Once night fell, the Chinese attacked up close. Only the vanguard fought through to the Hagaru cauldron, where they joined the beseiged USMC. The rest of the column was cut to pieces and overrun.

When, several days later, the marines (both US and Royal) formed up in a moving pocket and fought their way back south, through the wreckage and frozen bodies of what was now known as "Hellfire Valley" they found that a number of wounded marines from TF Drysdale had been treated kindly and left by the Chinese (who lacked medical equipment) to be picked up on the retreat.

Battle of Imjin River, April 1951

When the Glosters, out of ammunition and surrounded four miles deep inside enemy territory on Hill 235 tried to break out after three nights of battle, they were rounded up by Chinese. A number of Gloster accounts have the Chinese walking up, smiling and shaking their hands and saying, "Good fight!" One Gloster was so surprised he thought they had been relieved by South Koreans.

Lt Guy Temple was E&Eing with another officer when challenged by a Chinese. The other officer fired at the Chinese sentry with his pistol and missed - then, according to Temple "the whole valley stood up" around them: They had walked into a battalion position. All the Chinese thought the pistol shooting incident was a great joke. Temple was put safely into a Chinese spider hole and offered the Chinese soldier's own meagre supply of tobacco. Temple was seriously filled in in the POW camps (to this day he has scars around his arms from where he was bound with telephone wire) but maintains that "it is not the front line soldiers who do the hating."