To V or not to V, that is the question?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by BuggerAll, Mar 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Some time ago I was told to drop the (V) from my post nominals and recently I've been told its been dropped from until titles although I still see it used a lot.

What is correct?

Personally I think it is a shame that we are no longer distinguishable from our regular counterparts in this way. In that I am proud to be a member of the TA and wish declarE my membership.

I aspire to indistinguishable in my soldiering.
  2. The (V) is not used when referring to a unit where there is no regular unit sharing the capbadge. So for instance:

The Honourable Artillery Company and Wessex Yeomanry are: HAC and RWxY.

But a TA transport regiment might be: 151 Tpt Regt RLC(V)

Same for post nominals, therefore Tpr A B Smith RWxY and 2Lt C D Jones RLC(V).

There are a few complexities, like whether a TA Bn of an infantry regiment has (V) at the end. (i.e. 4 PARA or 4 PARA(V)). I believe that generally they don't (i.e. that it is 4 PARA not 4 PARA(V)), as the fact that the Bn is TA is identifiable by the number.

I stand by to be corrected, but the last time I looked at the Army List that is the conclusion I drew.
  3. Soldiers, TA or regular should not use Regt/Corps as post nominals until they reach the rank of WO1.

4. BuggerAll

I did not know that, its certainly a rule that is observed more in the breach than in the practice in official documents and outpourings.

Should it be Major A T A Trucker RLC(V) or Major A T A Trucker RLC?
  5. Years ago there was a bloke at the army x-country ski-ing championship who was entered as Trooper Whoever 22 SAS (V); I mean wtf. He actually wanted people to know that he had come through the TA.
  6. 22 with (V) and not 21 or 23?
  7. Best let RMPTS now that then........... I've been using post nominals for over 20 years from LCpl onwards!
  8. BuggerAll

Why would he not want people to know he was in the TA? I'm proud of being in the TA. I want people to know I'm in the TA. You seem to have assumed that every one in the TA wants to pretend that they are in the Regular Army. That is not the case. Those that want to be in the Regular Army join it.
  9. You're quite right, my mistake, delete Tpr and insert Capt into my previous post.

Maj A T A Trucker RLC(V) would be correct.

For some reason 21 and 23 SAS are abreviated to 21 SAS(R), not (V). Not sure why.
  10. The (R) denotes thier status as Reservists , rather than volunteers (V) and as such lets them get around the mobilisation rules for normal TA. It works much the same with the RMR IIRC
  11. I suspect he wanted to identify himself clearly as TA so as not to be accused of walting!
  12. There you go, another great mystery crossed off! :wink:
  13. Surely if he was representing 22 he would have been 22?

I think gobbyidiot means he was SAS(R) who has then passed regular selection and gone on to serve with 22.
  14. Or he might have been 'R' Squadron who were part of 22 until they disbanded.
  15. 21 SAS (R) is not an official designation, but is a term that has come into common use (a bit like 4 PARA (R)). It would require the Queem to sign off any chance to any unit's official title, and this has not been done.

There was also an argument floating around a while back that the (V) should be dropped from all units. This is because we have a professional regular army. No one is conscripted anymore and therefore we are all volunteers whether we are regular or TA.