To spur or not to spur

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by SillySubby, Jan 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I'm a young medical officer trying to sort out my mess kit.

The only thing I'm stuck on is mess wellies- do RAMC officers wear spurs or not?

Thanks

SS

2. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

No. not the male ones at any rate. We don't wear overalls either.

3. I hear that a 10 gallon hat and chaps is the vogue this season. :lol:

4. but only if you have a 10 gallon head.

5. If you have bought Mess Wellingtons, then you have done so in error. George Boots are worn with RAMC Mess Dress for 2Lt - Lt Col.

If you subsequently achieve the rank of Colonel, the pattern of RAMC, perhaps more accurately L/RAMC, Mess Kit changes - overalls become de rigeur and you can have your George Boots boxed for spurs, or, put your hand even deeper into your pocket and buy a pair of Mess Wellingtons!

6. I have a pair of size 9 George boots that are in excellent condition should you wish to purchase a pair, you can hang onto your wellies in case you make Col.

7. I heard tell of a male Capt QA Nursing Officer (now Lt Col) who attended a mess function wearing spurs, when faced with the statement "I didn't realise the QA's were mounted", alledgedly replied "Oh yes, most nights" (or words to that effect).

May well be an urban legend, but I like to think that the QA's are upto that sort of repartee.

Lyse

8. I have also heard that the Medical Officers traditionally wore spurs (although it is not done now), as historically they were always mounted.

True or myth? Anyone else heard this?

FF.

9. This is all in the relevant dress regs.

10. DD you are rather annoying. We have moved on since your halcyon days !

11. What you don't have dress regs for mess kit? Give me a break.

12. sure, which bone?