Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

To smack or not to smack - liberal professor seeks publicity

I can imagine myself having a deep and meaningful conversation with a 5 yr old kid who has just set the cat on fire..".oh dont do that johny.....if you carry on i will have to beat you in preparation for you growing up and enduring the heel of oppression from a capitalist society"............please get a grip...........when i was a kid....if i was well behaved i was rewarded.......when i was a lil twat ..i had a clip..........id like to think ive grown up into a resonably well balanced and nearly normal person......im law abiding........polite......( except when on here )....helpful....and can bump along with almost any one without any problems....
When i was punished i can say hand on heart that 99% of the time i deserved it.....but going back to one of llechs posts.....i had a sadistic teacher who would hit you for the fun of it.............hes dead now .. ms or something similar....i went to the funeral just to gloat and when asked what i thought about him......just a simple reply..."he was a ****".
children are too young to be reasoned with...a simple and quick method of getting the message home ..a smack or a clip............what is the problem with that?.....im not condoning a good shoeing or pounding....we are way to liberal ......not just with kids ..........ramble ramble ramble

Just saw on another thread that a sustained spanking caused Keira Knightly's tits* to fall out - so beware.

*Tits are described for anatomical reference only. Actual contents of Keira Knightly's bra may vary.

So you'll teach your kids that they can expect a good shoeing if they do something that another person deems to be "wrong". Sounds like a plan, Tonto. In fact, it sounds like the ideal recipe to force another generation to endure the crass injustice and inequality in society.

MsG

Right on dude !
I don't hit my kids but if they've crossed the line I tell them I'll shop them to the army that killed every other member of my family.
If they ask about all their grandparents, uncles, aunties and cousins I just whisper, "they're only friends from the 'RA..."

The worst behaved kids in our village by far are those of the Social Worker. Totally unruly to the point that the parents actually explain their inability to attend social functions as being because the kids will not behave... My father in law is a retired child psycologist, his view is that " Every child needs a pat on the back. Every so often they need one a bit harder and a bit lower down."

My father-in-law was burgled by the drug-addled son and heir of the parish priest, the bench delivered him back into the care of said parson without so much as a slapped wrist.

The whole point is to form a genuine partnership with your kids, and not to come over as some overriding, and frequently overbearing, "authority figure". That's just storing up trouble for the future. Strangely enough, we never had any problems at all when our kids were teenagers. Quite the opposite in fact, since they often brought their friends home to discuss their personal issues with us. Issues that they felt they couldn't discuss with their own parents. One the one hand, we welcomed that, but on the other I always thought it was a bit sad and deprived the parents in question of the possibility of interacting with their own kids on a truly mutual basis.

MsG

What a load of PC bollocks!

We humans have the ability to communicate comparatively complicated issues, even to very young children. Just flailing at them because they're supposed to have done something "wrong" in the eyes of an adult is very often the only method used. Again, not good.
Ah, the loaded meaning fallacy. "Just flailing at them", "supposed to have done something", "'wrong' in the eyes of an adult" ... but that isn't what people are saying, nor was it the implication of the message to which you responded. Most adults don't "flail" and, unless you are one who contends that there is no "wrong" behaviour in an "ideal" society, setting fire to the dog for fun is probably correctly viewed as "wrong" by most adults and children. If your children have admitted to "******* things up" then it probably means that they regard whatever 'things' happened as being wrong in both their and your eyes; it also implies that you may have failed them in their education at some point - perhaps a smack at the right time would have prevented the need for their admission?

A young child can indeed understand some complex ideas, but children vary in their individual abilities quite markedly, as does the ability of any given adult to explain that concept. Furthermore, many ideas require years of both education and experience to comprehend at a level where it will override whatever desire prompts a person's behaviour. One of the reasons why 'we' experience pain is to allow us to draw the conclusion that whatever we did to feel pain probably wasn't a good idea. A smack can be a useful and successful teaching mechanism when properly employed. However, it is but one weapon in our arsenal of behavioural modifiers and, like any weapon, should be selected with due attention to the situation and the individual; it's not effective on all children and not all adults are mentally equipped to administer it 'correctly'.

Ah, the loaded meaning fallacy. "Just flailing at them", "supposed to have done something", "'wrong' in the eyes of an adult" ... but that isn't what people are saying, nor was it the implication of the message to which you responded. Most adults don't "flail" and, unless you are one contends that there is no "wrong" behaviour in an "ideal" society, setting fire to the dog for fun is probably correctly viewed as "wrong" by most adults and children. If your children have admitted to "******* things up" then it probably means that they regard whatever 'things' happened as being wrong in both their and your eyes; it also implies that you may have failed them in their education at some point - perhaps a smack at the right time would have prevented the need for their admission?

A young child can indeed understand some complex ideas, but children vary in their individual abilities quite markedly, as does the ability of any given adult to explain that concept. Furthermore, many ideas require years of both education and experience to comprehend at a level where it will override whatever desire prompts a person's behaviour. One of the reasons why 'we' experience pain is to allow us to draw the conclusion that whatever we did to feel pain probably wasn't a good idea. A smack can be a useful and successful teaching mechanism when properly employed. However, it is but one weapon in our arsenal of behavioural modifiers and, like any weapon, should be selected with due attention to the situation and the individual; it's not effective on all children and not all adults are mentally equipped to administer it 'correctly'.

Excellent post.

Not sure if the absence of corporal punishment produces lawless kids, but I'm pretty sure that the absence of a father figure, sometimes for the second or third generation running, plays a part. Has anyone considered that the acceptability of both divorce and choosing to bring up a child without a partner may have more to do with antisocial behaviour than methods of discipline. Bringing up a child is bloody hard work, and is much more effective when shared by two people.

On another note, like a previous poster, I wish I had been smacked as a child. I'm sure it's much more easily forgotten than the daily put-downs, sarcasm and criticism that were my experience.

The whole point is to form a genuine partnership with your kids, and not to come over as some overriding, and frequently overbearing, "authority figure". That's just storing up trouble for the future. Strangely enough, we never had any problems at all when our kids were teenagers. Quite the opposite in fact, since they often brought their friends home to discuss their personal issues with us. Issues that they felt they couldn't discuss with their own parents. One the one hand, we welcomed that, but on the other I always thought it was a bit sad and deprived the parents in question of the possibility of interacting with their own kids on a truly mutual basis.

MsG

So you got your kids to encourage their friends to come around yours for "help". Did you also have a big bag of werthers and tell them anything that went on was your little secret?