Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

To smack or not to smack - liberal professor seeks publicity

Badly beaten daily as a kid by my maiden aunt and school teachers and I can never forgive them,,however it did teach me to either respect or fear authority,,and behave myself......And before any body asks,,Yes I did smack my kids....

Mine all got a tap on the nappy after 3 warnings as toddlers, and hand on heart, now aged 17,15 and 12, they never give me a moments trouble.They do well at school, I can have a real giggle with them, they don't give me any of the usual 'kevin an' perry' type attitude! The daughter thing has just been promoted at cadets, the eldest is playing County rugby at colts level and the youngest.....well let's just say I suspect he'll be a very good 'shopping companion' for his dear ol' mum :D
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I look at their friends and wonder if their parents ever gave them a clip...because by Christ some of them need it!

So you've got produced of each then ?

... who makes these laws up ??? whats this prevention of the application of force that causes "reddening of the skin" ... what about black children ? I guess they can be beaten harder because their skin wont redden ! madness, ill thought out rubbish. Who pays these "experts" wages ?

The worst behaved kids in our village by far are those of the Social Worker. Totally unruly to the point that the parents actually explain their inability to attend social functions as being because the kids will not behave... My father in law is a retired child psycologist, his view is that " Every child needs a pat on the back. Every so often they need one a bit harder and a bit lower down."

I'm old enough to have been at school when corporal punishment was still the norm. I went to a school where it was handed out liberally too. The odd thing it was always the same suspects who ended up waiting outside the office. So either the cane was not a deterrent or I had a very guilty look about me.

I'm sure discipline should start at home - but when you hear working class mums swearing in front of their kids and behaving like teenagers themselves it's unlikely that
a good example is going to be set. If the kids misbehave punish the parents. If they steal take away the family widescreen HD TV. If the kids beat up Old Folk,get the Parents to make amends by working in an Retirement Home (in the incorrigible incontinent department) etc.

Otherwise enforced neutering should be applied.

If corporal punishment had been in when I was at school, my teachers would've had a much easier time!
Doing away with it was such a stupid idea, so many kids these days are so arrogant and out of control because there's no punishment that works.
The only teacher I ever had that completely controlled his class was a 60 something Englishman (I'm not in the UK), who sure new how to yell, and make a kid feel like he was 2 inches tall. But even that's frowned upon these days.

Some kids definitely need a good smack every now and then, and some need to be hung.

The good professor may have a point - I certainly wanted to punch him after reading this, not to mention the silly bint from Mumsnet.

Smacking never right, say doctors - Telegraph

This whole issue is coming back to the fore and the usual bed-wetters are stirring. My kids get smacked about twice a year but the threat is hugely effective. I haven't noticed an urge to escalate to punching or to take administrative action with a tyre-iron. Hopefully this and other pieces of liberal rubbish will now start to be rolled back. The creature from Mumsnet seems equally hopeless.

I agree!

The world has gone bloody mad!

My mother dished out a lashing at the drop of a hat and I believe she took great pleasure in doing it, I hate her to this day. I think smacking should be a last resort punishment, I have smacked my little one once and thoughts of being like my mother immediately caused me a few issues inside the noggin.

I remember I had become too big for my Mam to do enough damage with her hands, so she picked up my sisters toy pram and flailed me with it, I laughed at the time, however I can't help thinking my temper is a learnt one not as my Mam told me something I aquired genetically from my Dad, of who I never even saw shout until I saw him as a CSM bollock some scrote, I was ******* shocked.

My kids got smacked when they were little, i.e. before they were 6, then only after repeated warnings and only as a last resort. Since then they've never needed it, when I start ripping into them in English it's a big clue and they wind their necks in! All the German parents I know smack their kids, ignoring the ban. The Volga Germano/Rusky baptist kids here still get birched, they never seem to fall foul of the law except where the parents make them miss sex education.

instead of giving my kids a quick smack if they run out into the road in front of a car I'll let them get run down....that'll learn them

Having gone thru school in the fourties and fifties when teachers had the right to use the cane it wasnt used very often , more the fact that they could use it if needed , I can only remember it being used once , two strokes , on a right little sod and all the rest of us agreed he deserved it, never broke the rules again. Mine had a little smack , no not thrashed or beaten , if I felt it warrented , all our children are now grown up , no criminal records and believe in working for a living , we have a great relationship with them and their spouses so guess we must have got something right

Having gone thru school in the fourties and fifties when teachers had the right to use the cane it wasnt used very often , more the fact that they could use it if needed , I can only remember it being used once , two strokes , on a right little sod and all the rest of us agreed he deserved it, never broke the rules again. Mine had a little smack , no not thrashed or beaten , if I felt it warrented , all our children are now grown up , no criminal records and believe in working for a living , we have a great relationship with them and their spouses so guess we must have got something right

Problem was some didn't know when to stop and to not enjoy it, a woodwork teacher kicked me in the shins when I was 11 he did it out of spite and anger, I bust his jaw some years later out of spite and anger, there endeth that ******* lesson.

Problem was some didn't know when to stop and to not enjoy it, a woodwork teacher kicked me in the shins when I was 11 he did it out of spite and anger, I bust his jaw some years later out of spite and anger, there endeth that ******* lesson.

Hospitalizing an 80 year old man because he had cause to discipline you at school is a bit naughty.