To search or NOT to search.....

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Spank-it, Jan 31, 2009.

?
  1. Allow Old Topics

96.6%
  2. Never allow Old Topics

3.4%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I hate the smarter than thou twots :) who seem to be on every forum on the interwebs: "Use the search", "Been done before" blah, blah, blah.......

I'll say this once and once only (because I will forget wot I wrote most probably):

Once a forum becomes a few years old almost every subject imaginable has been posted at least once before, preventing re-posts stifles new members from actively joining in.

If you can not re-post - forums quickly become stale or become just a "I can post something sillier than you forum".

Question; When should the search function be used, or when should an old post be allowed to start as normal :?:

Question: If a new member joins are they supposed to search through thousands of threads or conduct an exhaustive search just to make sure older members are not offended by a re-post :?:

Edited by me coz Smudge67 is a smarter than thou Twot :)

2. Good point... :?

3. Hasn't this been done before? :D

And those same folks that say use the search function are probably the same ones that are quick to throw a tantrum when you do do that and go on about resurrecting ancient threads

4. I've noticed that as well, actually. Even if the originator throws in her/his apologies if it's been done before and adds that a search produced no results, some prat invariably rocks up and uses either the: "Been done before" or "Use the search function" line.

Maybe some folks have too much time on their hands. :D :D :D

MsG

5. Presupposes that the search function actually works. I usually challenge these old sweats to give me the search terms that will lead to the post or topic. They probably know roughly where it is and have had a wee scroll to find it before pulling the rabbit out of the hat and are incapable of backing up their arrogant statement. Either that or just tell them to shuttit.

6. Surely you mean "thou" and not "though"?

7. This is a very good point!

The search function on this sit is one of the worst I have experienced on forums

8. I agree. So:

How do I polish my boots?

And:

Was the SLR better than the A2?

9. Doesn't really matter if its been done before, if you're getting plenty of views and posts on your thread then I don't see what the issue is.
    Otherwise we'd all be searching every thing we looked at to avoid commenting on anything thats been discussed before.
    I can barely remember what I did this morning, let alone something I read six months ago.

10. Biffing the SLR is NOT allowed on this site, in future use the search function a-hole 8O

11. If they allow old topics what will Bovvy do?

12. It doesn't get any tougher than this:

Jarrod248 in uniform - - - -

[​IMG]

13. I'm guilty of pointing out the fact that 'It's been done before', so no doubt it's one of my posts from yesterday which prompted this thread. As well as pointing out that a similar thread has already been created, I also provided a link to the original threads so that the OP could glean all the information he originally asked for. More often than not, the original thread consists of many pages of well argued posts, so why add to them by starting a new thread?

I'm guilty of starting a thread or two myself, the topics of which had already been covered. As soon as someone pointed it out to me, I continued to add any relevant points I may have had onto the original thread.

PS. Stop bloody crying. It's the internet. ;)

14. Hence the question when is it ok and when is it not :?

15. Two or more posts on the same subject in a week (when the item is current) is too much.