To Save or Not to Save

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Markintime, Dec 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't normally bother too much with anything written in the Mail but saw this story which, to say the least, I find hard to swallow.

Not Worth Saving

So there you have it, before you have a heart attack make sure your house is clean and tidy and that you're not disabled.
  2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Difficult to comment without knowing the facts but I wonder if it might not be a case of black humour surfacing to mask emotion? The emergency services seem to have a comparable sense of humour to soldiers (i.e very bleak) and I can imagine if the chap was already dead when they arrived then the comments might have been made in jest.
  3. Does medical profession here still swear The Hippocratic Oath?
  4. I have a friend who is a paramedic officer, he would break out the beating stick if he heard anyone under his remit doing things like that. There is a black humour, but not to the extent of endangering the lives of patients.
  5. Difficult to comment?
    Their own people shopped them after listening in via the phone. The poor old bugger wasn't dead and they decided it wasn't worth their effort to save him?
    If proven to be true (and is pretty damning so far) then they deserve a serious stretch inside.
  6. This is a total disgrace and they should be sacked
  7. With interest rates the way they are at the moment you are better off spending

Sorry I couldn’t resist

Hat, coat, gone :oops:
  8. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

This is sh1te, the kind of thing you would expect in some tin pot 3rd World dictatorship. Not here. They should get nailed for this.
  9. When I last practiced as a nurse, in 2002, it was ONLY a doctor who could make a DNR (Do not resuscitate) decision.

This seems to sum it up (and is one of the few bits of information not in PDF format):

Anyone other than a doctor, finding someone unconscious, would have to be pretty convinced that the person is "stone cold dead" before not attempting resuscitation.

So, if the geezer had just made a 999 call ....... duh!!! 8O

As with anything else, the rule is "make damned sure there are no witnesses" ........ (but I would have thought even that would be overruled if someone had called an ambulance).

EDIT: This is more recent: