to old to join? (opinions)

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by chris3018, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Okay, so first of all I'm 24 going on 25, I was at atr pirbright earler this year and I got medicly discharged with the option to go back as I trashed my knee, after getting over the fact that I'd gone through the whole prosess for it to come to nothing I, told myself I would get right and go back, turns out it will take a while until I get back there, maby a year as I want to be right going in, and I need to work on putting the stone and a half that iv lost in the last 6 months, so I'll probably be 26 by the time I get around to training.. So lads and lasses, in your opinion, is it worth joining at that age?
  2. At 24 i'd be more worried about making funeral arrangements than joining the army

In all seriousness though, just go for it. You're not the first guy who's joined up at 26 and you definitely wont be the last. Even at 26 you'll still have many years to enjoy yourself in the army. Join the engineers, have a great time, get a steady job in civvie street with the quals you gained from the army, retire with a good pension, die, the end.

Sounds like a plan to me
  3. Im joining at the age of 30 and would say get yourself back up to fit health and rejoin..

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  4. Haha, cheers lads, think that might be the plan then (I was training for the RE, or would have been if I'd have finished basic) before, just going through physio now and although going from a adsc run time of 8.06 to not being able to do half a mile without tendons and ligaments contracting is a real piss take, still never been one to give up.. Still good to hear a few opinions
  5. If you jacked your knee then just be sure to take it easy with the training, especially if your body isn't used to the strenuous activity. If you go from doing nothing to doing 3 milers every day then your knee is most likely to tell you to **** off and break completely
  6. This is probably an extremely dumb question; but at what age do you *have* to leave the Army?

I'm confused, i thought you could only serve a maximum of 22 years regardless of the circumstances i.e. i'm 23 and i'd have to leave at 25 if i'm accepted this year. My mate that's in the Army says "you can stay as long as you can hack it and pass your BFT's". Assuming you joined at the maximum age of 32 and served 22 i would have presumed the maximum serving age would then be 54/55 if that was the case.

I've had a look about on the Internet but i can't seem to find the answer, can anybody shed some light on it please?
  7. Too old to use a search engine.
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.