To Old for Fight Club ?

I`m on the wrong side of 50 but still pretty fit , I keep getting a hankering to do a bit of boxing or similar , am I to old ? I don't expect to be pasting youngsters , just a bit of serious sparring with an equal match , am I mad at my age ?

I`m on the wrong side of 50 but still pretty fit , I keep getting a hankering to do a bit of boxing or similar , am I to old ? I don't expect to be pasting youngsters , just a bit of serious sparring with an equal match , am I mad at my age ?
Don't a lot of boxing gyms do just boxing orientated fitness training? Happen that's the sensible place to start.

@thegimp

You could always join the local plod as a Special. You'll be taking on all comers in no time at all.

I`m on the wrong side of 50 but still pretty fit , I keep getting a hankering to do a bit of boxing or similar , am I too old ? I don't expect to be pasting youngsters , just a bit of serious sparring with an equal match , am I mad at my age ?
'Too Old for Fight Club ?'

...and...'am I mad at my age ?'

Yes you are...as it's quite likely, you've had enough brain damage for one life time.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
That was my next port of call , just wondering what opinions are here.
Give it a whirl, would be my suggestion. The unique training will get you very fit and, if you so wish, you can have a bit of a spar. In any boxing club there are all levels and a good trainer won't be putting you in with the "semi-pros", will s/he? Actually, I'm sure you'd enjoy it because there's generally a complete absence of the usual posers in a boxing gym.

MsG

a friend of mine (early 20's) was always getting into fisticuffs at discos and such and decided to go and give boxing a try at the local club, unfortunately got knocked out by a 14 yr old in his first session and didnt go back. It seems to me that boxing clubs are inhabited by folk for whom it is a way of life and Im not sure how well someone who is not 100% into it would get on. I know that in my mid 40's I ache enough every morning without someone using me as punching practice every night. there again, what do you have to lose by giving it a try? (your teeth possibly)

serious thoughts - your brain probably can't take the punishment. The ABA stops you boxing after 40 (Competing - England Boxing), so I'd take that as a pretty strong suggestion that doing full sparring is not sensible.

I would presume that the aging process reduces your brain lining's ability to cope with a) massive trauma and b) recover from sustained mild trauma.

And let's not kid ourselves - being knocked out with a punch to the head is massive trauma.

read this and treat yourself

Dementia pugilistica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please don't take this as a dislike of boxing per se; I know a great many people take significant pleasure and pride from it, but it is not a risk free activity. The fitness and exercise processes involved are bloody good though.

Find a local gym with a beginners session and get cracking

It'll take you about three years before you stop blowing out your arrse and start improving

See the other thread for details.

Sparring is ok as long as you are wearing a head guard and sparring against someone of a similar standard or good enough to control themselves, be controlled by a coach.

Do it you'll enjoy it. Bear in mind the first place you go to might not suit you