To join the TA or not to join??

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by krystal86, Mar 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am thinking about joining the TA, but I was told that you don't need to go aboard as its a volunteer roll. You train every Tues evening and go away for 6wkends (one wkend off, one wkend on) then when you've completed that you go to boot camp for 2wks.. you get paid about £35.00 a day when training. Once you sign up it's a 12yr thing, but you can leave, but you just have to get 3months notice.. But what does the TA get out of it?? It all seems to good to be true.... Anyone can you help?? i've already did the online chat online on the army site and I went into one of the offices and was given some info, but people are hearing things and the lies they have told..False hopes should I say..I think it would be a good job opportunity but some people are unsure what their real agenda is..I would never volunteer to go and fight (maybe die) my partner and my sister are worried I may have to go away for min 6months..My partner would be more happy once he knows I will not go aboard..People have asked me what does th TA get out of you when you sign up if your not going to go aboard and fight..

2. It's not for you, **** off waster.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I missed this bit...Have you tried becoming a Scout Leader...you still get a green uniform but the only fighting you will do is with the young lads in the bushes!

4. @Jarrod248 If you havent got anything other than crap to say Dont bother wasting my time to read your BS!!..

5. @2/15 I spoke to some people and went into the office and that's what they told me, but now i'm hearing different things about people who was told its volunteer but ended up getting forced to go aboard to fight

6. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction you thick trout. Go and join the WRVS.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jarrod248 I'm asking for real info not you moaning away as I want to know if I'm being told the right thing by them or just a bunch a lies

8. Soggy4978

Soggy4978 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

You are aware that TA stands for Territorial ARMY, yes? Last I heard army's were for fighting. You don't have to go away unless you volunteer to (at least that's my understanding but I've never been a STAB. But why join the TA if you'll "never volunteer to fight"? Do you just want the lovely uniform? There's plenty of it on eBay.

9. Ignore Jarrod, everything you have said is perfectly correct. There is no commitment on your part, its easy money and if a SNCO tells you to do something you are perfectly entitled to refuse and go home until they aologise. You certainly do not have to be prepared to fight, that would just be unreasonable. As for 6 month tours why would you want to commit to that? It would encroach seriously on your personal life and 'they' ought to accept that

In return for your honouring them with your time the TA gets a highly trained, honed warrior and politicians get the evidence to show that a 'citizen army' can pick up the mantle as they downsize the regular forces.

• Like Like x 1
  10. If you get mobilised you don't really have a choice - you're off. It can happen at any time after your training, usually with a heads up but that may not be given. If you can't handle that then don't drag down the reputation of the unit you wish to join and don't bother - I don't know how it works in your local TA centre but my unit treats every day in uniform as a build up to deploying on Ops - if you don't want to fight then why the hell do you want to be a soldier? People like you give the rest of the TA a bad name.

• Like Like x 3
  11. My Mam used to like knitting but it can be dangerous.

12. if you are neither prepared to deploy or fight then you are wasting your time and theirs. Forget it. Get a part time job at KFC

13. I want a job and I want to get trained to become an electrician and the TA can provide me with that. I don't care what others think. I already explained my circumstances to the officer and what I want out of it and what I am willing to do and not willing to do and he still states its volunteer role based..I'm just trying to make something of myself to supprt my family.

14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Join.

Cry throughout your training

Fail all your fitness tests, but cry your way out of it

Cry at your unit once you finish training.

Shag the PSI

Suck the blokes off after a night in the bar, then cry about it in the morning.

Leave the TA insisting that you were "bullied"

Go for it, it is a well established path.

• Like Like x 3