To join Reserves before AOSB

I'm from rep Ireland and am hoping to go to college in Fort William and then attempt to join the Army as a regular officer

I'm wondering if I was to join as a reservist soldier while in uni would it be more difficult to progress to become a regular officer than going through the standard AOSB.

Then if I was to go from reserve to officer would I still have to attend all 44 weeks of training.

Any info would be much appreciated.
John

cpunk

LE
It doesn't really make any difference to the process and yes, you would still have to do 44 weeks training at Sandhurst.

PANGEA

Clanker
I am also thinking of applying for the reserves while I study and improve my A level grade before applying for a commission in the future. I am aware being in the reserves makes no difference to the application process but will it help increase your chances of passing AOSB briefing and Main board?

Also what does the selection board think of those that haven't gone to university and have to resit, does this lower your chances?

Thank you

cpunk

LE
Serving in the Reserves (or the ranks in the regular army) can be useful in developing your ability to work in a team and should help in your understanding of the roles and responsibilities of a junior officer but doesn't otherwise give you any 'credit' at AOSB: you have to pass the Board on the same basis as everyone else.

If you've struggled academically, it will play a part when the Board assesses your intellectual potential to cope with training, but it will be outweighed by a good performance during testing at Westbury. Expect the Education Advisor to really dig into the reasons why you didn't do well the first time round.

PANGEA

Clanker
Serving in the Reserves (or the ranks in the regular army) can be useful in developing your ability to work in a team and should help in your understanding of the roles and responsibilities of a junior officer but doesn't otherwise give you any 'credit' at AOSB: you have to pass the Board on the same basis as everyone else.

If you've struggled academically, it will play a part when the Board assesses your intellectual potential to cope with training, but it will be outweighed by a good performance during testing at Westbury. Expect the Education Advisor to really dig into the reasons why you didn't do well the first time round.
Of course yes, I meant will the reservist experience help practically with selection rather than just looking good to the board. The reasons for failing A levels was down to a general lack of maturity in the first year especially, but also my desire to join the Royal Marines which ended last week as I wrapped on bottom field, not wanting to risk injury on RT. Physically I was doing well and actually got through the bottom field thrashing on my first attempt but feel going onto recruit training is too much of a risk at the moment.
What would the boards opinion of that be?

Thanks

Of course yes, I meant will the reservist experience help practically with selection rather than just looking good to the board. The reasons for failing A levels was down to a general lack of maturity in the first year especially, but also my desire to join the Royal Marines which ended last week as I wrapped on bottom field, not wanting to risk injury on RT. Physically I was doing well and actually got through the bottom field thrashing on my first attempt but feel going onto recruit training is too much of a risk at the moment.
What would the boards opinion of that be?

Thanks
Confused, probably!

PANGEA

Clanker
That you're weak and will probably bin this as well?
We can't all be marines. From what I've seen its common for people who couldn't make it/didn't feel ready for the RM to join the army. I'm not saying being in the infantry is easy but don't try and tell me that the army's physical demands are as difficult as the Royal Marines because thats bullsh*t.

We can't all be marines. From what I've seen its common for people who couldn't make it/didn't feel ready for the RM to join the army. I'm not saying being in the infantry is easy but don't try and tell me that the army's physical demands are as difficult as the Royal Marines because thats bullsh*t.
But not as tough as the RAF Regt!!

walrusboy

War Hero

What instrument do you play, love?

A fact that makes very little difference when you're getting beasted to death. If you can't hack a few laps of the RM assault course, your chances of becoming an infantry officer are zilch.

Have a bash at the TA. The time between weekends will give you the chance to work on your excuses.

PANGEA

Clanker
A fact that makes very little difference when you're getting beasted to death. If you can't hack a few laps of the RM assault course, your chances of becoming an infantry officer are zilch.

Have a bash at the TA. The time between weekends will give you the chance to work on your excuses.
I'm admitting to you I'll never be a Marine so not sure how thats an excuse, but correct I'm probably not going to be an officer as I'm not really suitable all round its wishful thinking:( and I'm going to leave it a few years, work/grow up and then look at it again. You giving the hard truth is shit but I need to hear it from someone that knows (assuming your an infantryman from your picture).

Latest Threads