To I-pod, or not to I-pod

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Legs, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Yes, brilliant. I wouldn't be without mine.

2. It's OK, but not worth the extra cash over other MP3 players.

3. Total waste of money, buy a standard cheapo MP3 player

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've always avoided the Ipod. For some reason I have this aversion to it because I feel that they are too big for their boots, and I don't want to use their I-Tunes site (I like the site I use). Also I have around about 10,500 tracks on my RHD and I don't want to change them into some new format.

But am I right? Would I be tied to I-Tunes? Would I need to convert my tracks or can I just dump them straight onto the I-Pod? If I bought an I-Pod then what is best?

The main reason I'm thinking about I-Pod now is the vast range of accessories, docking stations and what-not that is available. No other MP3 player has such a range.
  2. Just think of all those days of cycling listening to your fav tunes.
  3. You would need to use iTunes, which sucks. But that's the only downside of the iPod, IMHO. And I'm someone who is ardently anti-Apple, so if I say it's good then it must be :)
  4. I use MediaMonkey for my Ipod because it doesn't overwrite the existing library on it (as Itunes does) and it allows to exchange files between Ipods.

If you use Itunes you don't have to change the format of the songs you already have (if I recall correct). Itunes converts the songs for your Ipod while importing them. Your original file should still be in mp3 or whatever format it was in. Thus you can dump them all on your Ipod without too much fuss.
  5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

6. I've been thinking the same as Legs - I've avoided Ipods, but my wife has one and most of the music we own is in MP3, WMA and AAC format - I can easily convert one into another, but am getting frustrated at having two copies of most stuff, one in AAC for her player and mine in a wma/mp3 for my cheapy player.
  7. I was of the mindset of Legs and Crabby until this time last year when I decided that I ought to give it a go and see what all the hype was about (the death of my then mp3 player helped to spur that decision along...).
    Anyway, I've been very happy with the Ipod. To be completely honest, it is a long way ahead of what I was using before (a Creative Labs mp3 player). Itunes is pretty slick and the Ipod is pretty intuitive.
    I don't think I'm going to be looking back.
  8. I would recommend getting an i-pod. Mines got me thorugh hundreds of hours of what would have otherwise been mind numbing road work. I dont buy my songs from i-tunes i download them on limewire for free then import them on to i-tunes and hey presto.
  9. I have a I - Pod touch which is really good,This month M&S have been having promotions with a free docking station .
    Only problem is they are like gold ,No sooner when the M&S promotion on their site starts they are quickly sold out .
  10. I never saw the point of the extra expense of an Ipod over any other MP3/MP4 player.... until I won an Ipod touch (8Gb) in the Mess draw. It's fecking ace. If you can afford one, then it's actually worth the extra.
  11. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Not worth the extra. I've had an iPod since 2003, it survived TELIC 2 and a bit of 3, and then the battery died a couple of years later, but I changed it myself, no probs. Very reliable, etc.

Why not recommend them? Because earlier this year I got a Baylis MP3 player - wind up, so no batteries, charges from USB if you are idle, torch, charges mobile phones, takes SD cards, radio, (tiny) speakers, plays movies well, etc.

Thoroughly recommended. And of course it takes all sorts of formats.
  12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I bought Mrs Happy an ipod some years back. Unfortunately, it never really sync'd to her Sony Vaio and as a consequence failed to charge and generally fell into disuse. I think it is current vying for the "most expensive door stop in the house" award...

As I recall the problem, you can copy and paste MP3 all day long, but iTunes converted files cannot be shared. So you can have all you and your wife's CD's on one machine, but you can't have one each, unless you've got two PC's and then install iTunes separately. Then, when Mrs X downloads Now That's What I Call X Factor 47 she can have it, but you'll never get to listen to it.

MP3 way forwards, iTune's day will come and they'll either have to open up that format or die a withering death.
  13. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

Sony mp3 walkmen are the way forward. completely drag and drop, no drm hobbling, and no waking up to find your entire mp3 collection has been helpfully wiped off your hard drive. better build and sound quality too.
  14. Why would anyone want an ipod thingy? It is just an expensive mp3 player....and yes I know it has it's own format...even more reason not to own one.
  15. MP3 players play music. Ipods play music. No difference in my eyes except MP3 players are ten times cheaper. MP3 player for me.