Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Go or Not to Go ?

Had/Have bladder cancer ,14 months on and what so far has been successful treatment I`m due a check up next Thursday ( camera up my japs eye) , on top of this the missus has leukaemia and just had her 5th chemo (fuckin great in our house ) , so do I go for my check up is my first question ? if so do I self isolate afterwards ? it would be in our caravan and a bit of wild camping in my case . Final question if you think I should self isolate to protect the missus how long for ?

TIA

endure

GCM
I'd go for your check up and then live in the caravan for whatever the recommended time is if I were you.

do I go for my check up is my first question ? if so do I self isolate afterwards ? it would be in our caravan and a bit of wild camping in my case . Final question if you think I should self isolate to protect the missus how long for ?
The only sensible answer will come from your consultant. He'll be the one who can weigh up the benefit/risk of attending or not. Similarly, he'll have a heads-up on the risk in the department that'll determine the duration of self-isolation.

I'd go for your check up and then live in the caravan for whatever the recommended time is if I were you.
That does seem to be the way , for one or two weeks ? not sure what the recommended is if you have no symptoms.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
It's not unknown for routine checkups to be pushed back, if it is 'routine' then personally i'd be postponing it - balanced against what would be the likely delay once things get back to close to normal service, i'd guess at three months+, based upon nothing than my own guess and how the Mrs.'s checkups are rescheduled plus a bit...
If you feel well in yourself, postpone it, if you're at all concerned, go for the checkup and prepare to isolate before you go.

Honestly.
This virus is so contagious its unreal.
If your other half is at risk, and is vulnerable I would self isolate purely to protect her.

This thing is a little bastard and you literally cannot take any chances with it.

The only sensible answer will come from your consultant. He'll be the one who can weigh up the benefit/risk of attending or not. Similarly, he'll have a heads-up on the risk in the department that'll determine the duration of self-isolation.
Getting to speak to my consultant is like trying to speak to god , my cancer nurse even got a secretary to call me when I emailed her , she was no more knowledgeable than my dog.

7 days.
Stepson had symptoms we had to isolate for 14.
Turns out we are all negative. I had hay-fever.

Hay fever is especially bad this spring, must be a common thought hence why there are news pieces of the difference between hayfever symptons and kung flu

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Getting to speak to my consultant is like trying to speak to god , my cancer nurse even got a secretary to call me when I emailed her , she was no more knowledgeable than my dog.
If you can't get through and they have not cancelled go and they can turn you away at the gate if necessary, better checking your issue than leaving to fate.* If you have to self isolate then look at all options, if you have two bedrooms it could be done from home, with care. If you are left with the caravan as the option, then ask your consultant for advice - which is the riskier option.

* Assuming you will drive there. Public transport then prob best to stay at home.

Had/Have bladder cancer ,14 months on and what so far has been successful treatment I`m due a check up next Thursday ( camera up my japs eye) , on top of this the missus has leukaemia and just had her 5th chemo (fuckin great in our house ) , so do I go for my check up is my first question ? if so do I self isolate afterwards ? it would be in our caravan and a bit of wild camping in my case . Final question if you think I should self isolate to protect the missus how long for ?

TIA
F.F.S. . . . full of the joys-of-spring round your place !!

Assuming this IS NOT a wah . . .

Ring the hospital for advice . . . what kind of response are you expecting from ARRSE on a Friday night ?! ;) .

If it's "only" a check-up, what are they going to do when they have the results?

Are you sure the good lady wife did not bring the virus home for you?!

Two weeks in a caravan, camping, away from the wife . . . sorry, what was the problem?! ;) .

Last edited:

Whining Civvy

War Hero
I'd let the medical authorities make that choice for you. I'd (in all seriousness) stock up the caravan with everything you'd need for self-isolation - just in case - and make sure she has the ability to have her needs met (fnarr) while you're 'away'. It'll make you feel a bit crap for technically abandoning her for a fortnight but that's far better than placing her life at serious risk through a misguided effort to help.

TIA

This camera up your nudger - it's not one of these is it?

Latest Threads