To Gay, or not to Gay?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by OldSnowy, Mar 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

This question was recently answered in Parliament:

"To ask the Secretary of State for Defence how many openly gay people are currently serving in the (a) regular and (b) reserve armed forces."
    Armed Forces: Homosexuality: 7 Mar 2013: Hansard Written Answers and Statements - TheyWorkForYou

Easy enough, you'd think. But examine the numbers below. Sorry, it won't let me format things properly, but I'm sure you can work it out:

Armed forces RTS Phase 1 training
    Males Females
    Percentage Number Percentage Number
    Heterosexual/straight 96.0% 8,770 83.4% 736
    Gay man 0.7% 67 0.6% 5
    Gay woman/lesbian 0.1% 7 8.2% 72
    Bisexual 0.6% 52 5.3% 47
    Do not know 0.8% 73 0.6% 5
    Prefer not to say 1.8% 167 2.0% 18

Armed forces RTS Phase 2 training
    Males Females
    Percentage Number Percentage Number
    Heterosexual/straight 95.5% 4,812 80.6% 512
    Gay man 1.0% 48 0.6% 4
    Gay woman/lesbian 0.2% 10 9.6% 61
    Bisexual 0.6% 30 3.9% 25
    Do not know 0.8% 42 0.9% 6
    Prefer not to say 1.9% 98 4.3% 27

My conclusion:
    1. We have a number of male lesbians in the Armed Forces. That's pretty impressive.
    2. We also have a few women who are really gay men.
    3. The percentage of gay men increases from Ph1 to Ph2 training - and that's surely a wonderful indicator of inclusivity in action!
    4. Even by the end of Ph2, a fair few young men and women don't know if they are straight gay or whatever.
    5. Importantly - the percentage of gay men and women increases from Ph1 to Ph2. This can mean one of two things. Either they re taking that 'bonding' possibly a little far or, more likely, gay men and women are hard as nails, used to putting up with abuse, and therefore sail through Ph1.

Anyway, at least it shows that some young Soldiers retain a sense of humour!

What does the Vast Body of ARRSE think of the numbers?
  2. Tell em to mind their own business and piss off
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Which snivelling little troublemaker asked the question, and why would he/she (see what I did there)..think it is remotely any of his concern?
  4. Oh, come on, you know the reason they asked. There will be quotas to fill, diversity targets to be reached, money to be made setting up committees to investigate matters, organisations like Liberty to be placated, gay pride marches to be organised and pink flowers to be sold.
    Either that or they want to know if it's worth setting up a Poofs on Parade dating website.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I dont understand the reply. It seems to be saying this is a Royal Navy data set, am I reading that wrong?
  6. I like fudge me, Thornton's mostly...he's an ugly bastard though!
  7. How the **** do I die and come back as a male lesbian in the British Army?

That has got to be my dream job.
  8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

why the **** ask them if they are gay, no one gave a shit about all us left handers and we were a much bigger silent minority.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. They're going to make being gay compulsory after the next election.
  10. Grumblegrunt

oh I told em - I cant do the washing up chef - left handed so the sinks all wrong. I need a left handed mop bucket cpl.... great fun :)

I did spend a lot of time on the gate though.
  11. Grumblegrunt

are they asking so they can allocate a percentage of married quarters.
  12. I answered the 'mind your own bloody business' option when finishing training. Straight or gay, somebody will use the figures to further their own little pet ideal, and I don't want to be a part of that.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  13. Maybe the discrepancy is down to the number of Gay Heterosexual Lesbian Bisexual Transgender Men?
  14. Steve Wright DJ walt