To Drill, or not to Drill? (Reloading)

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Henry_Tombs, Aug 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been drilling the flash holes of .303 Privi Partisan brass with a 2.2mm drill, the results in shooting this brass do appear to give me more consistancy.
    Whilst drilling each flash hole out I am aware that sometimes the drill goes through the brass like a hot knife in butter and other times it is much harder to drill, my thoughts on this indicate that the holes must be of differing sizes.

So the question is, do any of you reloaders do the same?
    And should I take this a step further and drill my Lapua .308 brass? Although at nearly forty quid a box I feel a bit shy of tampering with it!

2. I never thought of doing this. Have you considered trying a small batch of Lapua and doing a comparative test?

I understood that Lapua drilled their flash holes anyway. Lots of other people do too but I can't see anything definitive.
    lapua brass drilled - Google Search

3. I didn't know that!
    perhaps the advice only comes from using surplus brass like HXP, or Privi which one assumes is not made to the same standard of Lapua?

4. What a good thread. I shall examine a selection of cases at the weekend.

5. I do this as well. But I would suggest buying the proper tool for the job. These have a pilot, to make sure that you ream the hole square to the axis.

This is the one I use from Lyman, but all the different reloading companies do one.

[​IMG]

I have read that it is only worth doing this on 'crap' brass like PPU and Remington. On the good stuff like Lapua, Norma, RWS - don't bother.

6. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

You're right, it is only necessary on cheap European, or American, brass. The reason is simple, USA and cheap European brass is stamped through the primer hole which may leave a hole with witness around the internal edge whereas decent European brass is drilled and has no need of clearing.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

My KIWI long range mate does this to every round, he subscribes to precision reloader or such anorack magazines from the states which make watching paint dry very interesting.
    Now you know why I concentrate my shooting on minute of deer!