"To close the 12 months rule!"

What is the time frame between tours (HERRICK). A few of us have been told that we can't go on H18 as we have just come off H15. The reason given that we are to close to the 12 month rule. But surely if you are over the 12 month point you are complying with the rules??

Any advice or links to written legislation appreciated.

BW

What is the time frame between tours (HERRICK). A few of us have been told that we can't go on H18 as we have just come off H15. The reason given that we are to close to the 12 month rule. But surely if you are over the 12 month point you are complying with the rules?? BW
Any advice or links to written legislation appreciated.

I believe they are flexible depending on your CoC and required manning levels (remember the draw-down 2014)
Back to back tours have been stopped along time ago.

I believe it is to do with the fact that you can only be mobilised for a year in a certain time frame (5 years/3years)
Therefore you'd go above that.

I was mobilsed twice Jan 2008 and June 2010, They realised at Chilwell me and others would have gone over the year, they would not let me sign the form there and then and said it would be sorted in plenty of time.

Anyway the paperwork turned up when I was on R&R which happened to be when my run out date was.

I thought it would have been funny if I just didn't go back, as I wasn't compelled to.

It is to protect employers.

I am just in breach at the moment but nobody gave a ****. I'm not sure of the specific rules but I'm sure someone is. It is 12 months in a 3 year period IIRC.

Pretty sure the 5 year time frame is for compulsory mobilisation, but as a volunteer you sign a waiver if your inside that. The 12 month rule is I'm sure, for actually being out of theatre. My issue is that by next April I will have gone over the 12 month point but am still being told I/we can't go.

House of Commons - Defence - Fourteenth Report

31. Harmony Guidelines are designed to ensure harmony between competing aspects of Service personnel's lives: operations, time recuperating after operations, personal and professional development, unit formation and time with families.[48] The guidelines help the MoD manage the effect of operational tempo on Armed Forces personnel and their families. Professor Dandecker, of King's College London, told us that:

the Harmony Guidelines have been well constructed because the evidence suggests that if you stay within them they [Service personnel] do not suffer; if you go beyond them there is a 20-50 per cent likelihood that they will suffer in terms of PTSD [Post Traumatic Stress Disorder].[49]
32. Two measures of harmony are used: Unit Tour Intervals and Separated Service. Unit Tour Intervals measure the frequency of deployment. Separated Service measures absence from normal place of duty or lack of freedom to enjoy leisure at the normal place of duty.[50] Separated Service includes activities not captured by Unit Tour Intervals like pre- deployment training, exercises, public duties, recruitment activities, and other duties which result in personnel not sleeping in usual accommodation.[51] The MoD began consistently reporting Unit Tour Intervals and Separated Service in 2006, although some data was collected before then.[52] Each Service has different criteria for Harmony Guidelines, reflecting different operational requirements and practices.
House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 07 Mar 2007 (pt 0001)

Army harmony guidelines are that individuals should not exceed 415 days of separated service in any period of 30 months. At unit level, tour intervals should be no less than 24 months.

The decision on who should deploy is made by Joint Commitments in consultation with Headquarters Land Command, ratified by the chain of command.

Royal Navy harmony guidelines are that no individual should exceed 660 days of separated service in a three-year rolling period. Over a similar time span, ships or other units should not be deployed for more than 60 per cent. of their time.

Harmony Guidelines for the RAF are based on formed unit tour intervals rather than individual personnel, whereby formed units, or sub-elements within them should spend four months on deployed operations followed by 16 months at base.

The RAF Individual Separated Service assumption is that an individual should spend no more than 140 days of duty detached away from home in a rolling 12-month period. This allows for a four-month operational tour followed by three weeks of separated service due to routine tasks, unestablished commitments, unit assistance, pre-detachment training etc.

These are guidelines only and there will be shorter tour intervals where operational demands require it.

Cheers Sluggy, got a phone call this morning confirming that I won't be going. Best look for a job now!