to ammo tech or not to ammo tech??

Discussion in 'RLC' started by predatorplus, Mar 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im joining the army soon, (going though the application form now)

I want to be an ammo tech’ but sadly don’t have the grades, but have been working on key skills (same as GCSE, but army doesn’t accept them), I have a double C in science, D in maths and a D in English, and another two C’s in two other subjects.

I know of someone who became an ammo tech’ with same grade as me in maths and english…

If I haven’t got the correct grade for ammo tech’ but if it comes up on my BARB will I still be able to become one?

Or should I join the RLC with another trade, and re-take my GCSE once in the army then transfer?

Any help you can give me will be great

-cheers PP

2. You will have to discuss all the options with the ACIO. If you can't join as an AT immediatly you can always transfer across later, and don't need the grades that you needed as a direct entrant.

Your grades do not seem the best in the world. Do you find these subjects difficult or did you not put in much effort at school and only now realise that you should have done better?

3. i would have got a C in english, but for personal reason messed up my 1st exam, maths was due to my course work, which everyone in my class failed...

4. Suggest you re-sit your GCSEs.
    Joining, then re-trading is an option, but it may be quicker to take your re-sits, then directly enlist as an AT. :sunny:

5. The other route is to transfer at a later date, if you cant immediately join.
    Then again, on the army website in the RLC page, it lists the trades and some of the people doing them. Im sure for the ammo tech trade, a guy said he left school with few qualifications and joined, then again, he may have joined many years ago.

See what the careers sgts say, surely they would have told you by now if you are legible.

6. he said i couldn't, but when i got back to my AT mate, he came back with some colourful words... and told he what to say to the careers guy, whicch would prob mean a stop to my army career there and then... lol

he (my mate) said to ask you guys, cos you prob know abit more info...

7. No, ultimately its the careers staff that get you into the army and are the 'experts' on the subject.
    Having said that, some are better than others, there may be a way of getting round it.

is that the only trade you would want to do?

8. before i sa told 'no' my 2nd option was CMT, but i was thinking, if i can still go AT after i join, the question now is
    would i have better luck becoming a AT as a CMT, or should i join the RLC with another trade e.g. driver...

9. Not trying to flame you, tho this might come over that way. You wanna join the army and be an ammo tech but don't have the grades to do so, right?

WELL STOP TRYING TO CIRCUMVENT THE SYSTEM AND GROW A SET OF BALLS AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

Are you thick? NO!

So, with that in mind:

1. Get a job, a civie job, anything with a good phys element will stand you in good stead.

2. Get to your local college and see about doing the exams you need part-time/night school.

3. Get as fit as you can.

4. Re-apply next year, stronger, fitter, more mature and with the grades you require and be the best ammo tech you can in the Corps you want!

Or are you going to be a sad looser and try and get around through the back door your whole life or be forced into second choice by not trying hard enough!

10. Not trying to flame you, tho this might come over that way. You wanna join the army and be an ammo tech but don't have the grades to do so, right?

WELL STOP TRYING TO CIRCUMVENT THE SYSTEM AND GROW A SET OF BALLS AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

Are you thick? NO!

So, with that in mind:

1. Get a job, a civie job, anything with a good phys element will stand you in good stead.

2. Get to your local college and see about doing the exams you need part-time/night school.

3. Get as fit as you can.

4. Re-apply next year, stronger, fitter, more mature and with the grades you require and be the best ammo tech you can in the Corps you want!

Or are you going to be a sad looser and try and get around through the back door your whole life or be forced into second choice by not trying hard enough!